change oil in ford gt 2005

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
As long as you have oil pressure within a second or two of starting, and you get full oil pressure above idle, you're okay. But I also am curious about where/whether that second O-ring goes.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
This link shows both the Ford and BMW versions, including the O-ring purpose for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: DakotaGT

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I would caution you using the BMW cap and cage as purchased. You will be dumping pressurized oil into the crankcase.
See my post below.

Yay! Thanks HHP. Bonehead-please note the O ring size. The one in your pic is too small

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
But do you put that small O ring on the plastic cage?
The confusion occurring in this thread is the old heads describing/using the old Ford/BMW filter kit and not the new designed Ford/BMW filter kit. The old filter kit design contained the large (softball sized) O-ring and a copper washer, the new filter kit eliminated the copper washer and added a small (dime sized) O-ring. In the old filter design, you threw the copper washer away and only used the large O-ring since the copper washer was for a BMW application. I would not replace the green O-ring with the small black O-ring unless it is damaged, but always replace the large O-ring with the new one included with the new filter. This is why the Ford Manual only shows the large softball sized O-ring, because the green O-ring is not to be changed. Of course, if the green O-ring is damaged, then see if the small O-ring fits.

When placing the new filter over the cage and into the cap, be sure to press the filter cage hard into the cap until you hear it click into place. Then lightly oil and add the large O-ring and screw the assembled filter onto the housing. Prime the engine before starting after the oil change. Procedure: hold accelerator pedal hard to the floor (do not relax pressure even a 1/16 inch or the engine will start), crank engine for 20 seconds, turn key OFF, now release pressure from the accelerator pedal, start engine normally and look for oil pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: extrap and DakotaGT

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
This can get confusing. The following discusses the two bayonet o-rings only. The BMW bayonet needs two o-rings. The Ford bayonet needs one o-ring placed in the slot closest to the filter. See link with diagram above. The lower BMW bayonet o-ring slot is slightly smaller than o-ring slot next to the filter. For the OEM Ford bayonet, you only need the o-ring in the slot next to the filter. I do not know what o-ring you are getting with the filter. The BMW o-rings are green, I am pretty sure the OEM Ford o-ring is black. If the filter is purchased at the Ford dealer with a Ford part number and contains a black o-ring, I suspect it is the one for the slot near the filter. It should fit just right in that slot and be slightly loose in the in-correct end slot.
A lot of people purchase the BMW filter, for BMW, since it costs much less than the Ford supplied filter. The o-rings included in the BMW filter are for??? I think the BMW filter only includes a crush gasket and the larger cap o-ring, but looks like that has changed as menioned above by TO AWSUM??
The BMW part number for the oring is: 11427549573 This is shown to fit both slots for the OEM BMW bayonet. This also fits the top slot for the Ford bayonet.

Last edited:
Reactions: TO AWSUM

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
It appears Ford and BMWs kits have diverged somewhat. Ford's part number includes a filter, large O-ring and a small black O-ring. Whereas, if I interpret HighHP correctly, BMW now has 2 kits, one includes filter with 3 O-rings, a large black ring, and 2 small green O-rings and the other kit a filter, crush washer, and large O-ring. I always used the OEM Ford kit so I was unaware that BMW also changed their kits.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yikes. Alright, so @TO AWSUM clarified some of the confusion. But to add to it.....I worked on the oil change with my friend and he's the one that put the washer/O-ring/whatever you want to call it that was supplied with my filter and softball-sized O-ring, onto the bayonet. Photo shows where this fit perfectly. So, not in either groove but above both of them closer to the filter. Do I need to take this out?

Attachments

• IMG_3809.jpg
    IMG_3809.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 14

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Bonehead, a washer is not the same as an O-ring. A washer is a flat surface formed in a circle, an O-ring is a round surface formed in a circle. You should only have one small O-ring on the bayonet. The large O-ring seals the bottom of the cap to the housing. Two total O-rings should be used -- one on the bayonet and one on the housing. Remove all others. I don't know how we can make this clearer to you.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
If you look a few posts above, post #62, you will see my post with a link to the description of the BMW bayonet vs the Ford GT bayonet. They are not the same. Your picture shows the bayonet for the BMW. You need to look at my link #62 above.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Bonehead if your picture is what you removed from your engine, someone put the wrong snout/cage in it. As HighHP said, your picture is of a BMW snout which directs the oil flow wrong and is not compatible with the FordGT. Throw it away and buy the correct Ford OEM part. This may be why you are confused about the number of O-rings. Hopefully, this wrong BMW part did not damage your Ford engine.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Bonehead, a washer is not the same as an O-ring. A washer is a flat surface formed in a circle, an O-ring is a round surface formed in a circle. You should only have one small O-ring on the bayonet. The large O-ring seals the bottom of the cap to the housing. Two total O-rings should be used -- one on the bayonet and one on the housing. Remove all others. I don't know how we can make this clearer to you.
It’s clear but all the descriptions of what is actually in my car and what was included in the packaging are different from what’s being described. I’ll admit I didn’t pay too close attention to how many O rings were on the bayonet nor did I differentiate whether or not the small piece included with the new filter was an O ring or a washer (yes, I know the difference, I just didn’t look that closely nor am I the one that put it on). To my knowledge, the bayonet has never been changed and am not sure why it would have since it’s not a disposable wear item.
I’m going to pull the filter again this weekend and settle this once and for all.

Reactions: 2112

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I seem to remember back in 2005-6 when the GT was introduced, some mechanics threw the snout away with the old filter because they thought it was a disposable unit. Maybe someone did that to your engine and substituted the cheaper BMW part. You'll soon know.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I seem to remember back in 2005-6 when the GT was introduced, some mechanics threw the snout away with the old filter because they thought it was a disposable unit. Maybe someone did that to your engine and substituted the cheaper BMW part. You'll soon know.
Certainly possible as in the 10 years I’ve owned this car, this is the first change I’ve done myself. I would have to assume there are hundreds of cars out there running this BMW part because of the scenario you described. I’m definitely no engineer but I’d fine it hard to believe that such small differences in the part could cause such catastrophic problems as long as oil pressure is maintained.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
That depends on where the oil pressure switch is located relative to the filter and also how this new BMW oil routing affects the volume of oil flow through your engine. The GT engine uses oil not only to lubricate, but also to cool the engine by spraying oil on the bottom of the pistons, etc. So oil flow volume and pressure are important.

It appears HighHP modified his BMW snout to plug the snout hole you see in your picture with the dowl pin in his pictures. He said he really doesn't know the effect this causes which he said needs to be tested. I only use Ford OEM parts to avoid these complications since I don't design engines and don't know what effect modifications have on engine longevity nor performance. As the adage goes, "Ignorance is bliss."

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Well, this was killing me, so I couldn't wait until the weekend to figure this out. Pulled the filter and.....looks like I have some mish-mash of kits. Mine has both O-rings (but theses are orange/red, not green) and the plugged port hole between the O-rings. First pic is what I pulled out. And yes, my mistake, the kit I received had a small crush washer, not an O-ring, which you can barely see to the left of the O-ring closest to the filter. I promptly removed that. Second pic is the plugged port hole. Third pic is after removing the second O-ring; this is the final version of what I installed. I don't know how long I've had this bayonet with both O-rings. Car runs like a champ and I've never had an issue with oil pressure. I'll have to assume (at least for my peace of mind) that the presence of that second O-ring doesn't matter. But I defer to the wisdom of the Forum gods on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You're gonna get your as s kicked for using your wife's weekend China.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You're gonna get your as s kicked for using your wife's weekend China.
Was that wrong? I gave it a good wipe down before I put it back in the cabinet.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Well, this was killing me, so I couldn't wait until the weekend to figure this out. Pulled the filter and.....looks like I have some mish-mash of kits. Mine has both O-rings (but theses are orange/red, not green) and the plugged port hole between the O-rings. First pic is what I pulled out. And yes, my mistake, the kit I received had a small crush washer, not an O-ring, which you can barely see to the left of the O-ring closest to the filter. I promptly removed that. Second pic is the plugged port hole. Third pic is after removing the second O-ring; this is the final version of what I installed. I don't know how long I've had this bayonet with both O-rings. Car runs like a champ and I've never had an issue with oil pressure. I'll have to assume (at least for my peace of mind) that the presence of that second O-ring doesn't matter. But I defer to the wisdom of the Forum gods on this one.
You are correct, the o-ring near the end of the bayonet is not needed. Having it installed does nothing, no harm.
That does look like the OEM bayonet. What was the picture you posted of the BMW bayonet with the hole???

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You are correct, the o-ring near the end of the bayonet is not needed. Having it installed does nothing, no harm.
That does look like the OEM bayonet. What was the picture you posted of the BMW bayonet with the hole???
That was from a thread you had posted https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/fgt-vs-bmw-oil-filter-cap-cage.36556/

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree, no harm, no foul. All is good.