Ceramic Coating

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Forgive me if discussed before - you guys think it is worth ceramic coating over Xpel, or mostly BS?
Pretty pricey - about $2000/car for the coating here I'm told.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My personal opinion is that after completing the Clear wrap on your GT you should have it ceramic coated! My GT was ceramic coated with Ceramic Pro and the windshield was covered with Clearplex. Both applications were $1,000 each. Easier to keep clean!

Reactions: maxemus

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
If you use STEK Dynoshield flm, it has a special coating already on it. My PPF installer said it would be waste of my money to put a ceramic coating on as well. You could ask Xcentric as he had STEK put on his Alfa.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
My Suntek PPF installer said what Jack reported. Waste of money to coat with ceramic coating.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Same here, expel guy said not worth it. Did have the wheels done though.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I did the Opti coat on my Xpel. And believe it’s worth it. The car simply repels dirt and washes up brilliantly.I have also ceramic coated all my other cars that have Expel PPF and feel it’s worth it. As you may know from previous posts . I also do the wheels And wheel Wells

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks guys

Curious - about how much you pay per car for ceramic coating?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My wheels were $100 each

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I’m getting mine coated tomorrow ahead of it being displayed at Keels and Wheels. I already have Suntek wrap everywhere, and have heard mixed feedback about ceramic after wrapping, but this is a lazy man’s way of getting the car to look nice ahead of the show. Costing me $720 including the wheels

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Definitely worth doing. If you don’t the car has a rough feel with just the film. With coating it is slicker and much easier to wash.

Reactions: maxemus

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
BTW, $2000 is nuts

Reactions: soroush

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I paid 300 to Opti coat the wheels and wheel wells

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Are there different names for the same ceramic coatings? What are their names? Which is the best ceramic coating, why, and what should you expect to pay for coating the entire car including wheels? I've seen advertisements for F-11, Opti Coat, etc. some say only professional application and others say you can do it yourself -- so confusing. I'd like to use it and I've done a google search to learn more, but I still don't know what to ask for.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I tried F11 a while back. I don't believe it is a ceramic product. Was not impressed with it. Didn't seem to do anything different than a good wax application. Others might have a better experience than I did with F11.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
There are many ceramic coatings. My guy shows up with a different one every time

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The premier products, Opticoat Pro, C quartz, etc are "pro" only. Probably to preserve the hype (and margins) but also I would expect that there is more to the application than it looks, and for sure the prep is crucial.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My finished product with opti coat and Xpel

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3fb9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3fb9.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 36

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
My finished product with opti coat and Xpel
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Can't wait for my laps at LR!!

Reactions: roketman

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Suntek.. PPF installer said it would hurt the self healing properties. Happy with the Suntek look.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Naford, I don't understand your comment, "it would hurt..." What is "it" and what is it hurting?