Center Console Replacement

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I had time today to drop off the FGT at Power Ford North Scottsdale for the Customer Satisfaction Program. Dwayne Burke handles the FGTs coming in for service and warranty work. A real stand up guy who knows the car :thumbsup I pointed out to him the excessive gap between the center console panel and the console, on the passsenger side. There was a quarter inch gap midline, with the ends contacting the center console. On numerous occassions the panel was removed and installed with the same visual results. At first I thought that the upper edge of the side panel wasn't straight. Later this afternoon, I received a call saying that the dealership would be replacing the center console. The center console was being overnighted and would be completed tomorrow. Has anyone had an issue with the fit of the center console and the side panels? I'll also follow up with the condition of the halfshaft bolts tomorrow.
John

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Post pics of your fitment issue. I had been complaining about a radio bezel that didn't line up with the lower dash for TWO YEARS! I finally got my car back this afternoon (write up coming soon) with a new radio bezel and center console. AFTER TWO YEARS EVERYTHING NOW LINES UP!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Post pics of your fitment issue. I had been complaining about a radio bezel that didn't line up with the lower dash for TWO YEARS! I finally got my car back this afternoon (write up coming soon) with a new radio bezel and center console. AFTER TWO YEARS EVERYTHING NOW LINES UP!

I am looking forward to your report. It has to be in the record book as the GT that took the longest time to repaired. I hope it meets your expectations and that you now have a reliable place to get your GT serviced at in the future.

Last edited:

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Yes, please post pix as I'm wondering if you're speaking of the center console or the center tunnel.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mike,
I hate to be a butthole, but frankly, for two years we have been offering you help.
remember, when you point your finger, three more are pointed back at you.
This forum is not the vehicle to bash dealers on. Granted your car has issues...
Again, there are examples of dealers attacking customers based on posts on car forums.
Please consider this a friendly warning.
Bony

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Yes, please post pix as I'm wondering if you're speaking of the center console or the center tunnel.

I'll go by the dealership this morning to take some pics. I can't guarantee that they haven't disassembled the console for the new install. It'll will be interesting to see if and how they protect the surrounding areas to prevent damage to other interior parts, specifically the radio bezel. Yes, it is the tunnel but I was using the descriptions that are printed in the workshop manual. I'll update later this afternoon. Does anyone know if the dealership is required to return the original halfshaft bolts to the factory?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
John,

Make sure they use tape on the radio bracket where the console could hit during installation. That was one of the biggest problems we had at the shop. We came up with a plastic protector cover to prevent damage.

Have the dealership call me if they have issues or questions. We will be in town later today. :thumbsup:thumbsup

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
We do not have to return the old bolts JBG

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
You have to REALLY protect the area. As GT TECH said it is very easy to scratch or chip the radio bezel.

ama

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2006
console replacement

I (allegedly) have a new console being shipped for installation because of the bubbling of the paint....(see post "Bubbles"). My dealer is a small country dealer who wants to do the replacement himself. Any helpful hints on the disassembly/reassembly process.....or a number to call would be greatly appreciated.
ama

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Mike,
Please consider this a friendly warning.
Bony

BONY, if you don't think its worthwhile for me to share my GT ownership experiences and dealer interactions with other forum members then delete my posts and my account. If my experiences help A SINGLE owner avoid the mess that I've been in then IMO I think its worthwhile.

Its your sandbox, do as you like.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ama, I PM'd you some tips and my cellphone number that your dealer can call at anytime.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BONY, if you don't think its worthwhile for me to share my GT ownership experiences and dealer interactions with other forum members then delete my posts and my account. If my experiences help A SINGLE owner avoid the mess that I've been in then IMO I think its worthwhile.

Its your sandbox, do as you like.

So noted..:bored

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Let me know if I can help ama.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Console

Power Ford of North Scottsdale called me yesterday afternoon and said the center console would be overnighted. The issue was on the driver side, near the shifter. As evident in the first picture, the edge of the console appears bowed. I went by the dealership this morning to check on things and take a couple pictures. The original console was still in place to document the gap issue. Later this afternoon, I received a call saying it was finished. It being the halfshaft bolts and center console. When I went back to the work bay, there sat my FGT and 2 others receiving the halfshaft bolts. The technician's area was immaculate. I can't say enough about the Master Technician, Dexter Allen. He knows the car and takes pride in what he does. Dexter is also familiar with the FORDGTFORUM and very knowledgable of the posts. The radio bracket and other areas were well protected. So the end result was a perfect gap between the side panels and center console and no issues with the OEM halfshaft bolts. There was loctite on the bolts but came out with ease, in one piece. Fortunately, for one of the other FGTs in the bay, the timing of the replacement couldn't have been better. On one side, both bolts were sheared and the heads were still adhered to the washer. Many thanks to Dexter, Cheryl Shaw and Dwayne Burke for a simple (for me) and quick fix. The following attachments are before and after pics of the gap issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1212_1.jpg
    IMG_1212_1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1219_1.jpg
    IMG_1219_1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 118

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have to say, that was rather unsightly. Glad that you were able to get that taken care of.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Fantastic, thats the way things should be done. Congrats.