CEL p0102

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Finally got to take the car out today with some friends (one with a F430 and another with a 360 Challenge. Got some pics and hopefully a good video:)......but I digress.....

Pulling out from one of our stops and I noticed the dreaded Check Engine Light. W. T. F. ? Car is 100% mechanically bone stock. One of the 6 million reasons I DON'T want to modify the car is because of headaches like this.

When I noticed the light, the car seemed a bit sluggish. Per the dash gauge, the car would not boost over 10-11psi, vacuum 23-24 in Hg. Otherwise, car runs fine. Temps ok considering it's 100 degrees outside, oil pressure fine. I'm 60 miles from home and pussyfoot it back.

Check the codes as soon as I get home and get a p0102. MAF circuit low-input.

Did a search here and didn't come up with anything.
I would just clear it and see if it comes back, but the car doesn't seem to be running as it should.

What's my next step here?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ed,

Get a MAF specific cleaner at the auto parts store and give it a good cleaning. Take out the MAF and spray it good, but don't touch the sensor with anything but the spray cleaner.

This is the cleaner I use:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-sensor-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=36011

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed,

Get a MAF specific cleaner at the auto parts store and give it a good cleaning. Take out the MAF and spray it good, but don't touch the sensor with anything but the spray cleaner.

This is the cleaner I use:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-sensor-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=36011

Thanks Paul.
Now for the next amateur question, what's the best way to do that? Remove electrical connector then unscrew MAF housing from inlet or access it via removal of the bellows?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Pull the red tab up to remove the connector and remove the MAF to clean it. Be gentle when you pull it out and reinstall it to avoid touching the sensor on the mounting slot. Hold it by the black connector end and spray the sensor liberally. The MAF cleaner will evaporate immediately.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Pull the red tab up to remove the connector and remove the MAF to clean it. Be gentle when you pull it out and reinstall it to avoid touching the sensor on the mounting slot. Hold it by the black connector end and spray the sensor liberally. The MAF cleaner will evaporate immediately.

Thanks Paul. Will try to head to Autozone after work.
Next silly question: Should I clear the code with the reader or should it clear itself once I clean the sensor? Or does it not matter?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The CEL should go off after a certain number of drive cycles, assuming the condition is fixed. However, you should clear the code immediately so you can determine if a dirty MAF was your problem. If it isn't, the CEL will come back on and you can move to the next possible solution.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Geez, I think you need some modifications! Less problems.

Ed

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Geez, I think you need some modifications! Less problems.

Ed

Haha. Just a reminder from my car to keep it stock. You see my luck? I can't even keep a stock car troublefree!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What's the verdict?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What's the verdict?

Haven't even had a chance to pull the MAF to clean it yet. Damn job and kids! (ok, just damn job, love my kids, but they interfere with my car stuff).

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Just read about the CRC Maf cleaner. Is this BS or what? 4 to 10 HP at the rear wheels by using this stuff? There is nothing to a maf. If the wire is clean of dirt or crud build up it should work and your computer determines the AF ratio. Maybe if you clean it twice you will get 20 more RWHP.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yeah, I'm not looking to add HP by some magical spray. Just want to get rid of my CEL and hopefully fix any sluggishness/boost issues.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ok, got home a little early today. Pulled the MAF, cleaned the HELL out of it, and cleared the code. Then my daughter woke up from her nap. Couldn't take it out to test. Anyone know what a driving cycle consists of and how many I would need to complete before knowing if the code will come back?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Ed,

Suppose I should let the experts chime in, but I believe the drive cycle just has to do with passing your next smog test. If you drive and the code doesn't come back you're good to go.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed,

Suppose I should let the experts chime in, but I believe the drive cycle just has to do with passing your next smog test. If you drive and the code doesn't come back you're good to go.

Quite possible, Ross. I don't know the answer to that. But I figure if 'readiness' of the sensors for smog requires a certain number of drive cycles, then clearing a code/CEL would require the same process. I could be (and probably) am wrong about this.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When ever you clear a OBDII code the P1000 code is set again and if you must do a smog test the drive cycle must be completed to reset the P1000. As for the MAF you should be good to go if it doesn't light up again after going for a drive where exercise the engine throughout the normal range of airflow, idle to 6000+ rpm on the road, not in neutral.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What he said.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
When ever you clear a OBDII code the P1000 code is set again and if you must do a smog test the drive cycle must be completed to reset the P1000. As for the MAF you should be good to go if it doesn't light up again after going for a drive where exercise the engine throughout the normal range of airflow, idle to 6000+ rpm on the road, not in neutral.

Great info. Thanks Clinton. Working all weekend, but maybe I can find an hour or so to stretch the GT legs and see if the CEL comes back.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ok, about 3 weeks later, I finally got to take the car out for a bit this evening. 1st through 5 gears, up to 6K rpms a couple of times. All seemed fine. I stopped by to fill up the tank on the way home. Pulled out of the station and the CEL popped up again:mad
Same code.

What's my next step?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Ok, about 3 weeks later, I finally got to take the car out for a bit this evening. 1st through 5 gears, up to 6K rpms a couple of times. All seemed fine. I stopped by to fill up the tank on the way home. Pulled out of the station and the CEL popped up again:mad
Same code.

What's my next step?
Sell the car to EP, the code will never appear again. Granted, the car won't be driven.........................
J/K,