Cat Delete Project

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I need a project (I miss getting grease under my finger nails) so I decided to order the Ford Racing Cat-Delete kit from Muscle Motors. It is my intention to remove the headers in the process and have them ceramic coated. The whole project looks pretty straight forward. Any advice from those who have been in the belly of the beast?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I need a project (I miss getting grease under my finger nails) so I decided to order the Ford Racing Cat-Delete kit from Muscle Motors. It is my intention to remove the headers in the process and have them ceramic coated. The whole project looks pretty straight forward. Any advice from those who have been in the belly of the beast?

I am suprised you have CATS if you have installed headers. Which headers are on your car?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Just the stock headers. I didn't know what else to call them.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
manifold........

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
noted... anything tricky about the project?

Aug 25, 2006
noted... anything tricky about the project?

I have had many sets off

1. Disconnect the battery

2. Belly pans off and tape everything around the cats and the manifolds

3. Uplug the O2 sensors

4. Remove you rear pipe section

then

Disconnect the both half shaft perimeter bolts and move them out of the way (much easier this way and if you have AccuFab hardware is can be reused) then disconnect the cats and slid them out

Then remove the OEM heat shields; the upper shields come out easy however the lower take a bit of trial and error and then they will slide out

Then unplug the oil sending unit plug as you will need the access; this is on the driver side and is easy to see and reach from underneath near the AC compressor

The passenger side manifold will come off by only removing the nuts however do not be surprised if a few studs come with them; once I have the manifold off I remove all of the studs and then use all new hardware when reinstalling including gaskets.

The driver side requires that at least two of the studs be removed; these are the two at the front of the motor next to the oil filter housing. The end of the stud is a 5mm hex however take your time and use only a 6 point socket or small boxed end wrench so that you do not strip the head; once these are out you can proceed to remove the remaining nuts. Now FYI because of concern for secondary damage to painted surfaces I always remove all of the studs so that I can simply lift the manifold out and then I use all new hardware when reinstalling and again including new gaskets.

In fact I do not use OEM nuts but rather copper exhaust nuts so as to eliminate corrosion as time goes by

FYI the studs come out easy just take your time.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What would we do without you Shadow? Thank you very much sir.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The existing exhaust manifolds are cast iron, and probably somewhat restrictive. Why not buy some new exhausts that include the connection to the engine from Ford or Stainless Works. Lighter and flow better, and get the new items coated?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
IMHO, if you go through the trouble to remove the exhaust manifold I would replace them with headers, assuming you don't have any smog issues. Coating the manifolds have little benefit since they are cast iron and covered by heat shields.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You guys are proabley right about that. Are there any header systems that would work into my current exhaust canister? I ask this only because I have heard the full header system from Ford ( M-9430-GTX ) and it is a bit extreem for me.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bill ....

there are days where I would like to just get a download of the stuff that is in your head.... this is one of them.

Thank you for your contribution to the forum and your willingness to share.

God bless you.

S

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
You guys are proabley right about that. Are there any header systems that would work into my current exhaust canister? I ask this only because I have heard the full header system from Ford ( M-9430-GTX ) and it is a bit extreem for me.

If you are going with the FORD racing cats and an aftermarket catback, then that will be pretty similiar to the FORD header back system in terms of sound. Remember, the cat deletes are pretty much a straight through system. When I installed them with my IDA catback, it was too loud and there was too much drone inside the cabin. If I were you, I'd go with a full header back system and use Shadowmans baffles to quiet down the drone. That way, you will have a bad ass sound, and performance to go along with it!:thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Can you do ceramic coating on catyalytic converters? Will it mess with the chemistry of the converter?

Also, when I put these Accufab bolts back on... what should I torque them to?

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Can you do ceramic coating on catyalytic converters? Will it mess with the chemistry of the converter?
QUOTE]Yes but only the exterior of the shells.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Fubar-

We are actually in the middle of a similar process but before sending our manifolds out for coating we are going to have them extrude honed. If you decide to keep the factory manifolds you might look into having them extrude honed first.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK Millen, for us non-engineer/mechanic types, was does extrude honed mean? You must talk to INDY GT too much.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
OK Millen, for us non-engineer/mechanic types, was does extrude honed mean? You must talk to INDY GT too much.

Extrude hone is basically a process where they flush a thick, metallic liquid through the manifolds which smooths out the manifolds and allows the exhaust to flow better. Similar to a port and polish.

http://www.gethoned.com/auto.php

This is not the company that we are working with but it shows some before and after pictures...I have seen a video of the process before. I will try to find that online.

Just found a picture...

read.jpg

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Think it would work on Bony? Then we could call him Metaly!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
On the right hand side of this page you will see a very small video of the process...

http://www.gethoned.com/process.html

Here is another link to more information regarding the extrude hone process.

http://www.extrudehone.com/media/index.php?cat=afm

Sorry for all the links. I find this stuff pretty fascinating.

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Damn, you have a cool job Kyle