Carroll Hall Shelby, Dies today at age 89

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I love it Ercie, You hit the nail on the head. There will never be another Carroll. Always living in the future with a lot on his plate even at 89 years old. You certainly make me proud to be a TEXAN. Tomy

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I remember the 2007 Ford GT Rally dinner vividly. I was carrying around my helmet in a backpack the entire evening. There I was, in the buffet line, waiting for the right opportunity, but not going to be the first one to disturb the evening ambience. And certainly didn't want to interrupt a man in pursuit of a hearty meal.

As luck would have it, someone with way more gumption than me, broke the ice, and asked Carroll for his autograph. At that moment, I begin to reach in my backpack and started to swing the helmet into play, just as I saw hands waving and Shelby's handler say "NO AUTOGRAPHS!!!" "However, Carroll will be happy to take a picture with each and every person in this room that wants one"

I had dragged my poor wife (great sport she was), on our wedding anniversary, to this Forum Dinner at the Petersen Museum, and we were lucky to have this photograph of him and us. I thought of how kind it was for him to take the time to take pictures and talk with each of us. I'll always remember that night.

Randy,

I had a similar experience that night. I had brought the owners manual of my Ford GT up to that dinner for Carroll to sign but it was immediately made known that Mr. Shelby wouldn't be signing anything that night. I mentioned it to Tomy Hamon however and he said, "Give me your manual" which I did. Tomy is a long time friend of Carroll and he walked over, opened it up to the blank inner back cover, and even though he could barely see, Carroll Shelby signed his name perfectly with a black sharpie in my owners manual. Camilo signed his name on the preceding page. It makes me smile when I see it. Thanks Tomy.

Chip

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I saw a commercial where on Sunday evening (20th) there is a three hour special on Carrol Shelby on Velocity channel at 8:00 pm

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
You know you really made it when.....

Gentlemen,

It's been my opinion that if you really mattered, I mean REALLY mattered during your life, that your death would be noted in the world's largest newspaper that does not have an obituary section, The Wall Street Journal. The very notable are normally mentioned in one sentence on the front page. But not Carroll Shelby. He had an entire article written about him in the first section of the May 12, 2012 WSJ. For those who missed it, I have copied it below.

Chip

Attachments

• WSJ Shelby.jpg
    WSJ Shelby.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Here you go, Tommy!

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Here is another famous Ford GT Forum member with Mr. Shelby.

IMG_0933.jpg

Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
As you can tell He loved being with the Ford GT Forum Group that evening. He was with " HIS PEOPLE". I was told this morning that there will be a public memorial service for Carroll on May 31st in Los Angeles at the Peterson Museum. The family service is private. I don't know the time as yet. Tomy Hamon

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
I have been away from the Forum for a while now because of my commitments with the racing team. I wanted to share a moment with all of you Forum Members. Tomy is probably one of the closest people with CS that we know on this forum and he will probably understand better than most what I am about to say.
When I decided to put my race team together, I reached out to CS and asked him if he would honor me with his Carroll Shelby Foundation Logo on my race car. The answer came quickly the next day from the President of the foundation Jenni Shreeves who contacted me based on CS's approval. Between hospital stays, CS could always be found at the Belair Country Club in LA. I had been there many times, and I can tell you that he was LOVED by everyone. One day a couple of months ago, CS was in poor health and was being wheeled around by Cleo and a friend at the Country Club. One of my dear friends stopped to say hello. He called me that afternoon to let me know CS was yelling at the top of his weakened voice that Gino had put his foundation Logo on his race car. When I was told this, I got a lump in my throat. I wished I could be there, being hugged by him, as he had done so many times before. Yes I know that many loved him, but knowing the man will always be something I could not fathom in my lifetime. With the little time I had been in his company I could tell how warm of a human being he was. Yes, he loved people, and most of all he was very appreciative of those people that loved him. Yes, 89 years young and still going like a freight train. We always joked when I would tell him that I was going to set up an auction and buy him 20 more years to continue his life and contributions. He would smile, and that was my intent for him to be happy.

This past weekend I was in Laguna Seca racing my Boss 302S in the World Challenge. On lap 14 we had a full course yellow, and someone tapped me on my shoulder to tell me the CS had passed. I felt like someone hit me on the head, but I had known he was very sick and it was not unexpected. All of my days spent with him and Cleo came rushing thru my mind...I felt sad for my friend CS. I set there on the pit wall and I looked up. I said Carroll, we are running in 5th position, I cannot do anything to help you now, but being up there and looking down at us, you can help me. Give my car a push. I know, whom am I kidding? Well, we were in 4 th position, the white flag was shown, 0ne lap to go chasing a Acura that was 2 seconds faster than us. Here they come, checker is out we were happy to take 4th....wait...wait....turn 5, we whent 4 off and passed the acura in 3rd ...we finished on the podium. I looked up and thanked the man. He surely did it. I am proud to have his foundation on my car, and I will make a donation to his charity, as he would of wished me to do. I hope that for you guys that think of how great the man was, please consider making a donation to the Carroll Shelby Foundation to honor him in death, as we did in Life. Rest in peace my friend.

Gino

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Beautiful post Geno, thank you, love you my Brother. Everyone on the forum will understand and love your words. Tomy

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thank you for sharing that post with us Gino.
I met Mr. Shelby one time, at the Bel Air Country Club.
I was sitting at the large round table in the corner. My buddy who is a long time member there was to my left and the seat to my right was empty. I was turned to my left when I felt someone sitting down to my right. I turned to introduce myself and it was Carroll Shelby! I could barely get my name out and say "It's a pleasure and honor to meet you Mr. Shelby". "Call me Carroll! he barked."
My buddy told him I was a FORD guy and owned a 1970 BOSS 302 and a Ford GT. Like so many others have said here, you would have thought I was one of his long lost kin.
He made me feel like the most important FORD performance junkie in the world.
God bless his soul, Cleo and all of you very close friends of his.
Tomy, thank you for letting us know about the public memorial service at the Petersen, I will plan on attending.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Carroll shelby’s extraordinary life to be celebrated in southern california

CARROLL SHELBY’S EXTRAORDINARY LIFE TO BE CELEBRATED IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Carroll Shelby International and Ford Motor Company to Host Public Event

TEAM SHELBY – Carroll Shelby International, Inc., and Ford Motor Company will celebrate the incredible life of Carroll Hall Shelby at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles on May 30, 2012. The two day event will feature a display of significant cars, an opportunity for fans to film a message about Mr. Shelby, a special ceremony and other activities. Carroll Shelby passed away on May 10, 2012, at Baylor Hospital in Dallas.

“Carroll Shelby changed the course of history and touched the lives of millions through his racing, his companies and his charity,” said Joe Conway, president of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. and board member. “He challenged us and our friends at Ford Motor Company to honor his legacy by continuing this work. We wanted the first step to be a celebration of this exceptional man for everyone who shares his passion for performance.”

The champion racing driver, entrepreneur, pilot, philanthropist, manufacturer and race team owner embodied the American spirit. He founded Carroll Shelby International, Inc. a publicly held corporation that now owns car company Shelby American, Inc. and Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc. Carroll Shelby’s relationship with Ford Motor Company beginning in the 1960s propelled Shelby and his cars into the hearts of people worldwide with iconic models like the Cobra, GT350 and GT500.

“Carroll Shelby was a legend in the history of Ford Motor Company,” said Edsel B. Ford II, member of the Board of Directors of Ford Motor Company. “He was a close personal friend and I will miss him very much. We’re honored to be part of this important tribute celebrating the many contributions and achievements of a true innovator.”

Shelby’s favorite organization was the Carroll Shelby Foundation™, which provides medical assistance for those in need, including children, as well as educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs. It also benefits the Shelby Automotive Foundation. Donations to the Carroll Shelby Foundation are encouraged in lieu of flowers at www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org.

The museum will display the first Shelby Cobra, a 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, a selection of Shelby American’s 50th Anniversary vehicles, a Series 1 and other significant Shelby cars from the past five decades. They will be exhibited throughout the facility and will be accessible for viewing as part of general ticketed admission.

A guest list for the invitation-only service is being developed due to space limitations. People involved with Shelby’s interests, from chili cook-offs to aviation, autos, philanthropy and societal groups will be invited. Guest speakers will include Mr. Shelby’s close friends. More facts will be released on www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org and www.shelbynation.com. Details will not be available from the Petersen Museum or any Shelby organization.

About Shelby American, Inc.
Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. Now a subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc., the company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company offers the GT350, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the current generation Ford Mustang. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com.

About Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc.
Automotive manufacturer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby is one of the most famous and successful high performance visionaries in the world, and he has spent the last 50 years establishing and protecting his name, trademarks and car design rights. He founded Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc. in 1986, which holds the exclusive right to license the Shelby trademarks and vehicle design rights for some of the most famous muscle cars and high-performance vehicles ever produced. CSL also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. For more information about the company or licensing opportunities, call (310) 914-1843, or fax (310) 538-8189 or write to Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., 19021 S. Figueroa St., Gardena, CA, 90248, or visit www.carrollshelby.com, www.shelbylicensing.com or www.carrollshelbyinternational.com.

About The Carroll Shelby Foundation
The Carroll Shelby Foundation was created by legendary racer and automotive manufacturer Carroll Shelby. Headquartered in Gardena, Calif., the Foundation is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Shelby Automotive Foundation. For more information visit CarrollShelbyFoundation.org.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995

This release may contain forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties that may cause actual future events or results to differ materially and adversely from those described in the forward-looking statements. CSI disclaims any obligation to revise or update any forward- looking statement that may be made from time to time by or on its behalf.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Velocity channel #281 (direct TV) will have a three hour show on the life of Carroll Shelby tonight 7PM Central time. I was told it will be good by Cleo Shelby on Friday when we visited. I have been invited to the Memorial at the Peterson Museum on the 30th in LA and plan on going as a guest of Mrs. Shelby and her Daughter Simone Rendell-Shelby.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
The Saturday after Carrol's passing I thought it would be appropriate to drive my 2009 GT500 KR. It's a car that only has 700 miles and is rarely driven. Unfortunately I was sitting a light and an idiot 16 year old drive in front of me decided he didn't want to wait for the light to change so he through his Mom's SUV in reverse and backed his trailer hitch right into my bumper. He never looked in his mirror. $1,200 in damage! Here's a shot BEFORE the accident. May Carol rest in peace!

IMG_0708.jpgIMG_0711.jpg

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Bill warner's tribute to carroll with some period photos

A nice tribute to Carroll by Bill Warner of the Amelia Island Concours. Enjoy ...

usmcfred

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...nyasDXpkeiW50yxUFRD9U2itXT5mCBcNBpv2d4z1kIg==

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Saturday after Carrol's passing I thought it would be appropriate to drive my 2009 GT500 KR. It's a car that only has 700 miles and is rarely driven. Unfortunately I was sitting a light and an idiot 16 year old drive in front of me decided he didn't want to wait for the light to change so he through his Mom's SUV in reverse and backed his trailer hitch right into my bumper. He never looked in his mirror. $1,200 in damage! Here's a shot BEFORE the accident. May Carol rest in peace!

Ouch, that sucks.