carbon brakes

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Correct. Mine requires the knuckles to be modified, but then the calipers can be bought and bolted right on incase of a failure it's easy to get back on road. Even tho unlikely of failure. I also have parking brake stuff now in which I didn't in past.

Anyone who does the carbon brakes will wish they did them years ago! I have 14,000miles on mine and love them!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I love the no brake dust!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
After seeing so many carbon brakes at supernovas Ferrari hangout, it makes you feel a brake inferiority complex.

Attachments

• 20150620_092148 (1280x720).jpg
    20150620_092148 (1280x720).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 544

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Street use? They look cool. That's it. In fact for street use I would never use them.

Track, yes please? You shed unsprung weight, and have a package that can take high heat, never fade, and last longer in a track environment.

Im sure many will have different opinions on their street merit, and yes a value is the unsprung weight loss, but the squeaking, and less friction when cold, the care you have to take of them to not contaminate the rotor (when washing etc), Im good.
The Brembo pads and rotors are not like the Porsche stuff. These stop like steel /cast iron when cold and even better when hot . Don't take my word for it. Hang out on the Corvette Forum and ask guys who have been living with them for years.

Even steel brakes squeak. The squeal / squeak is caused by vibration. Steel brakes do it and have done it as long as they have been around. Some types of pads do it more on steel brakes. Mine rarely squeak or make noise.

I wash my wheels and tires with soap and water and rinse them as you would with your normal rotors. You don't want to spray tire dressing on them but I don't know of anyone who shoots that stuff on steel brakes you may crash because they won't stop ..

You really don't save much in un sprung weight because the Calipers and pads are much heavier. If my memory serves me correctly it's about 2 lbs lighter in un sprung weight.
I hear everyone talk about un sprung weight but the big noticeable difference is in the Rotational mass which is much different in it's effects.
When I developed my set up I went for lighter tires, wheels along with the Rotors. the increase in acceleration was very noticeable. This reduction will make any car quicker and easier to stop due to the lower rotational mass.

All the high end cars and the top Vette uses them for good reason. They increase performance in two directions . They are expensive but if you can afford it you won't be let down. It would be the first box I would check when buying any new High end car.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great reply Brian, see your points, especially with your correction of rotational mass vs unsprung weight. I should have been tidier with my words.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great reply Brian, see your points, especially with your correction of rotational mass vs unsprung weight. I should have been tidier with my words.

No problem, I understand that the early CC Brakes were horrible when cold. Like all things in this world technology advances and things get better. That old reputation is still around. I can only speak for the the Brembo line. I know Porsche has their own stuff. I can't say if their brakes offer the same cold stopping performance.

Manufactures are really understanding the benefits of lighter rotation mass. You are seeing more emphasis on lighter wheels etc. Look at what's Ford is doing with the CF wheels on the GT 350

Don't get me wrong the CC rotors do require some special attention. They need to be protected when taking off the wheels etc. They need to be weighed when serviced. After living with them for 5 years and over 10K miles there is nothing that would deter me from having them on another cars. See you ay rally 10 !!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I am doing a set of brakes right now for a company and if anyone is interested let me know as it would be a good time todo some more! Oe Parking brakes will work aswell..

Thanks
Dan

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
After talking to Brian/Stormcat
I'm going to offer the carbon brakes as a direct bolt on now and after thinking about it some lately I decided that more people would probably be interested in it as a bolt on kit as there has been some interest. I have always had to modify the upright todo them and I am just finishing up a set right now that way. Probably will be my last set done that way.

Pricing will change a little but it will be a direct bolt on kit. Only modification will be a 1/8 roll pin needed to be drilled and added to parking brake caliper for spacers to space parking brake calipers for carbon rotor added width.. Roll pin will never be able to be seen and if returned to stock it will be unnoticeable as well. Being the Calipers will be modified and machined on they will come painted to your liking.

Dan

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Best upgrade I ever did.. :thumbsup

IMG_0704.jpg
8960618152_4d9c9db6ea_k.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Any options to use OEM Wheels?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

No. one would have to go with a 14 or 14.5'' rotor. Id have to do some research on rotors to see if i could find something that would work.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I assumed not, thanks for the reply

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
I am doing a set of brakes right now for a company and if anyone is interested let me know as it would be a good time todo some more! Oe Parking brakes will work aswell..

Thanks
Dan

Hello, I would be highly interested by new CC brakes on my GTX. The car has 20' HRE wheels and CC brakes would perfectly suit.
Can you help ?
Thank you

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

I hope with in two weeks to have a option for this... :-D I've done some investigating and came up with a solution!

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I hope with in two weeks to have a option for this... :-D I've done some investigating and came up with a solution!

Keep us updated. Thanks. Would be great to keep stock wheels.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Stillen was looking into producing CCM rotors to work with the stock wheels at some point, but it did not seem that there was much interest due to the cost involved.

Serenity

GT Owner
Dec 9, 2011
Colorado
Maybe,, My set up is very different than BMF's mine is completely bolt on. I think BMF's set up requires you to weld on to the alum. knuckels unless he changed it.

Can you send me cost for your set up? Or part numbers if you don't sell.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Forgive my off topic, but:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 8.39.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 8.39.45 AM.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 94

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Still on the OEM brakes, but at the point where I need new pads/rotors, a carbon option would be excellent. OEM brake dust is definitely a nuisance, and who wouldn't want better braking? If they could be fitted on the original BBS wheels.