carbon brakes

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Anything ever come of the CARBON FIBRE brake rotors??????? They were dicussed back in 07

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check StormCat's threads. He adapted the Corvette rotors to the GT for relatively cheap money.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Check StormCat's threads. He adapted the Corvette rotors to the GT for relatively cheap money.

but you need new larger wheels to clear the brakes!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am getting ready to duplicate my set up.. for another Forum Member, PM me if you are interested,, I have had my system done and field tested now for two years. I've been told by some wheel comapny's they can make an 18" wheel to clear but 19" are better for cooling It's important to get the right wheel . If you're bored dig up my old post about light weight wheels..

Last edited:

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Hi,
It looks like it's been a while since anyone has talked about the carbon brakes. I have a GT I would like to convert to carbon ceramic brakes. I see Stormcat did a conversion using Corvette brakes but I can't find any of the old threads. Does anyone have any information on doing this?

Thank You,
Chris

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi,
I can't find any of the old threads.

This one? http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/19420-STORMCAT-Carbon-Ceramic-Brake-Conversion

Which was precipitated by Stormy's talk on this one: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/8196-SEMA-Stop-Tech-CC-Brake-Rotor

You might also want to peruse this one: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/18601-Light-Weight-Wheel-Offer

Those should be the ones you're looking for.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I have done them aswell as Stormcat! I did a few kits for Ray and Heffner.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ive driven Stormcats car, it slows very well!!!

Did you ever get around to integrating an e brake?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ive driven Stormcats car, it slows very well!!!

Did you ever get around to integrating an e brake?

yes!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I see the new carbon brakes on several higher end performance vehicles. I guess my question is why? I admit I know nothing about them. what are the advantages and the costs versus OEM? are they that much better? thanks

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Street use? They look cool. That's it. In fact for street use I would never use them.

Track, yes please? You shed unsprung weight, and have a package that can take high heat, never fade, and last longer in a track environment.

Im sure many will have different opinions on their street merit, and yes a value is the unsprung weight loss, but the squeaking, and less friction when cold, the care you have to take of them to not contaminate the rotor (when washing etc), Im good.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Watched a show about the making of the CC rotors...

They weigh a bunch less.
Performance not affected by heat as much as iron.
Don't corrode... although I've read somewhere (here?) that you aren't supposed to get anything on them (wheel shine stuff).

But I'm going with.. they look cool as hell!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Street use? They look cool. That's it. In fact for street use I would never use them.

Track, yes please? You shed unsprung weight, and have a package that can take high heat, never fade, and last longer in a track environment.

Im sure many will have different opinions on their street merit, and yes a value is the unsprung weight loss, but the squeaking, and less friction when cold, the care you have to take of them to not contaminate the rotor (when washing etc), Im good.

about 12lbs less per rotor than oe GT rotors.. Braking is second to none.. Stock GT brakes are no where in the same neighborhood as the zr1 brakes on the GT.. PERIOD...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Agree whole heartedly, I've driven stormcats on the track. I personally would not make the change for the street, nor hit the "check box" if an option for a street car, especially an expensive option (BMW M3 /4 it's $8100).

The gt350 6 pots would be nice on the GT as well (probably would fit either under the oem wheels. Those pads are huge.

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Hi,
Would you be interested in doing another kit for me? Or at least a ballpark cost to convert to carbon brakes?

Thanks,
Chris

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Hi,
B.M.F. or STORMCAT, would either of you be interested in doing a carbon brake kit for my GT?

Thanks,
Chris

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Bump - B.M.F., you were going to provide a quote

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I will send you over an email.. Btw was nice meeting you out in Va!!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Also Chris you need to become a supporting member so you can pm and such.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi,
Would you be interested in doing another kit for me? Or at least a ballpark cost to convert to carbon brakes?

Thanks,
Chris

Maybe,, My set up is very different than BMF's mine is completely bolt on. I think BMF's set up requires you to weld on to the alum. knuckels unless he changed it.