Brite Hot/CermaKrome coatings?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I believe the head pipes are the same for both of the Borla header assemblies. If the rear exit setup is too loud for you, it will fairly easy to install the collector, mid pipe and muffler from the setup I have. To be honest though, if you have any doubts about using the rear exit headers, it will be too loud for you.

Paul, I asked about the modularity of the rear exit setup and basically, it isn't:( So, while the headers may be similar/same, chopping off the collector mufflers and tips and installing midpipes and a muffler would likely require a great deal of custom cutting and welding to the point it may just be easier to remove everything and get the LTH and muffler. Could be mistaken, but this was the impression I was given.

And do I have doubts? Heck yes I do. I've heard/driven a GT with the LTH and Heffner H-pipe. I realize the rear exits would be incrementally louder, but I think I can handle it. I've done as about an exhaustive search as one could do on threads here regarding this system, and it seems everyone that has done it has not had any regrets. I know Kendall took his off, but I'm not sure he necessarily 'disliked' them.
Only one way to find out, right?:)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The only thing louder may be SW headers with no cats, but the FRPP rear exits may still be the loudest. Definitely they are the loudest I have personally heard. Am and talking about the sound at WOT under a load and at 6000+ RPMs. Ear splitting loud!

I'm not a balls to the wall street driver, so WOT under load at 6000 RPM's will be a rare to never occurrence unless I make it to the track. My main concern is getting in and out of my gated community. Man are my neighbors going to hate me.

And I heard the "Superspeeders" GT at WOT under load on the highway once when I went on a group drive in NY about 7 years ago. By far the loudest car I've ever heard in my life.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm not a balls to the wall street driver, so WOT under load at 6000 RPM's will be a rare to never occurrence unless I make it to the track. My main concern is getting in and out of my gated community. Man are my neighbors going to hate me.

And I heard the "Superspeeders" GT at WOT under load on the highway once when I went on a group drive in NY about 7 years ago. By far the loudest car I've ever heard in my life.
The rear exits aren't that loud at idle and small throttle opens at low RPM and loads (flat ground). However if you live in a hilly area like me you can't go up a 10% grade without making a lot of noise.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Although I have not physically compared them, the head pipes from both systems appear to be the same. I would be surprised if they made 2 different head pipe sets.

http://www.borla.com/productImages/misc/12657_xlarge.jpg
http://www.borla.com/productImages/misc/17253_xlarge.jpg

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
There really not that loud. You can easily keep it toned down at under 2000 rpm.

And then wait until your down the road a ways

I love them and I'm on my 4th choice.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The rear exits aren't that loud at idle and small throttle opens at low RPM and loads (flat ground). However if you live in a hilly area like me you can't go up a 10% grade without making a lot of noise.

Cencal west of the Sierras and east of any semblance of civilization (i.e. where I live) is as flat as Iowa. I'll gladly trade you your 10% Bay Area grades for this hellhole.

Although I have not physically compared them, the head pipes from both systems appear to be the same. I would be surprised if they made 2 different head pipe sets.

http://www.borla.com/productImages/misc/12657_xlarge.jpg
http://www.borla.com/productImages/misc/17253_xlarge.jpg

Probably exactly the same, but again, would require some expert cutting and welding to fashion a quieter setup. Obviously could be done, but my guess is the labor would probably make it more cost effective to sell this one and just buy a new exhaust system.

There really not that loud. You can easily keep it toned down at under 2000 rpm.

And then wait until your down the road a ways

I love them and I'm on my 4th choice.

That's what most/all of the owners seem to say. But then again, it also seems like most are a bit hard of hearing to begin with:lol

4th choice??

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Unpacked and off for ceramic coating.:willy

null_zps92c0f1a3.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I see you finally got off the fence! Two pieces of advice. First, check the EGR threads on the passenger side head pipes to make sure they are the correct pitch. Second, assemble the head pipes to the collectors and use a Sharpie to mark where they slip together. Advise your plater not to coat this area.

Oh, lastly, buy some quality ear plugs. :lol

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I see you finally got off the fence! Two pieces of advice. First, check the EGR threads on the passenger side head pipes to make sure they are the correct pitch. Second, assemble the head pipes to the collectors and use a Sharpie to mark where they slip together. Advise your plater not to coat this area.

Oh, lastly, buy some quality ear plugs. :lol

LOL. Thanks Paul. Had to get off the fence. My ass was killing me:)
Evan Guyett is handling the coating and install. I had him take care of it personally as he knows what should and shouldn't be coated. I assume he knows about the EGR thread issue as he's done a number of these, but I can ask him.

As for ear plugs.....well, more importantly, I should buy some in bulk and hand them out to my neighbors. They ain't gonna be too happy with me when I pull out of the garage for my early Sunday drives:ack

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
While you are at it, have Evan install one of his oil separators. It is OEM quality and appearance and works like a charm.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I used Evan for a PPI, he's fantastic, knows his SH-T

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
While you are at it, have Evan install one of his oil separators. It is OEM quality and appearance and works like a charm.

Great. Thanks for nothing. I just asked Evan about the oil separator and transaxle breather. I'm not made of money you know. Please refrain from any further suggestions. Thank you. The Management.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great. Thanks for nothing. I just asked Evan about the oil separator and transaxle breather. I'm not made of money you know. Please refrain from any further suggestions. Thank you. The Management.

Pfft. You're one of those 1 percenters I read about on the Huffington Post. Besides, you're a doctor and I'm an attorney. We are mortal enemies.

I forgot about the transaxle breather. Get that too. Evan has a family to feed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Evan can set you up with a Whipple too. You would love the car even more with it!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Unpacked and off for ceramic coating.:willy

null_zps92c0f1a3.jpg
Dude! Fit them before you coat them. Ask me how I know!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Pfft. You're one of those 1 percenters I read about on the Huffington Post. Besides, you're a doctor and I'm an attorney. We are mortal enemies.

I forgot about the transaxle breather. Get that too. Evan has a family to feed.

An attorney that reads the Huff Post. Not really putting yourself in a favorable light, you know.

Evan can set you up with a Whipple too. You would love the car even more with it!

Think Whipple is 10 minutes from his shop. Still no:)

Dude! Fit them before you coat them. Ask me how I know!

I asked specifically if he wanted my car to test fit the pipes before they went off for coating. He was pretty confident it wasn't necessary given his experience with this particular Borla system in the past. But now that you're implying that you had issues, I'm very nervous......

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Not sure what to tell you brother. My experience with Borla was a nightmare. I had the same setup and between Shadowman and Borla it was not something I ever want to experience again. Hopefully, you have a better experience.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Not sure what to tell you brother. My experience with Borla was a nightmare. I had the same setup and between Shadowman and Borla it was not something I ever want to experience again. Hopefully, you have a better experience.

Please elaborate, Mike. Did you have to get replacement parts or alter existing ones to get the fitment right?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
They would not fit. Keep in mind this is according to Shadowman. I to this day am not sure what I think about that guy but that is a different topic. Went to Borla and it was like pulling teeth. Weeks went by of negotiation and finally the agreed to make up a new side. Several weeks went by and when it arrived it had a different style tip. Weeks of more negotiation to get them to make up another with the correct matching tip. I would avoid all parties involved in any future endeavors. Hopefully, you have a more pleasant experience. I do think test fitting any system before final coat or paint is like how to not have to do re-work and spend money 101. For someone to suggest different would already be a red flag for me. Lots of amateurs out there.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
They would not fit. Keep in mind this is according to Shadowman. I to this day am not sure what I think about that guy but that is a different topic. Went to Borla and it was like pulling teeth. Weeks went by of negotiation and finally the agreed to make up a new side. Several weeks went by and when it arrived it had a different style tip. Weeks of more negotiation to get them to make up another with the correct matching tip. I would avoid all parties involved in any future endeavors. Hopefully, you have a more pleasant experience. I do think test fitting any system before final coat or paint is like how to not have to do re-work and spend money 101. For someone to suggest different would already be a red flag for me. Lots of amateurs out there.

Thanks for the input, Mike. Hope your experience was an anomaly. Not only do I want to avoid that nightmare and its associated cost, but all the work is getting done while I'm going to be on vacation with the family. Going to pick up the car when I get back and have to leave for Rally 8 the next day. Crossing my fingers that I don't get a call while I'm lying on the beach saying the exhaust doesn't fit. That would most certainly ruin my week.