Bridgestone tires - thumbs up !

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I decided to put the Bridgestone tires on my car just before the Rally as my original Goodyears were getting a bit thin at 6000 miles.
My impression after about 1000 miles has been very favorable.

I definitely notice that road noise during normal driving seems to be somewhat reduced, as they have been a quieter tire.

Although I didn't drive them back to back with my Goodyears, as my car also had a Whipple put on during this time, I think they definitely are a bit 'stickier'. I felt like I had great traction at the Mile with some high powered Whipple acceleration (of course a heat index of 110 degrees didn't hurt traction either)

I also like the way the look.

If you are considering new tires, I highly recommend them.

Slow Poke

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
What size did you put on?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Would have to check - It was the same size I believe most folks use though.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I, too, switched from my second set of Goodyears to the Bridgestones just prior to the Rally last month.
I had heard, and agree, that the Bridgestones would be quieter with normal driving. 3,000 miles of freeway driving to and from the Rally was a good test!
I also thought the Bridgestones were superb at Texas World Speedway. They performed as well or better than the Goodyears previously had, and the condition of the tread surface was excellent after six track sessions that day.
I used the typical sizes 255/35 front and 345/30 rear.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Love my Scuderias!!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I, too, switched from my second set of Goodyears to the Bridgestones just prior to the Rally last month.
I had heard, and agree, that the Bridgestones would be quieter with normal driving. 3,000 miles of freeway driving to and from the Rally was a good test!
I also thought the Bridgestones were superb at Texas World Speedway. They performed as well or better than the Goodyears previously had, and the condition of the tread surface was excellent after six track sessions that day.
I used the typical sizes 255/35 front and 345/30 rear.

I guess I missed the 255/35 front size and 345/30 rears (I couldn't find that rear size at tirerack for reference). Which flavor of Potenza did you use?

I've tried to keep this thread semi up-to-date.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146312

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I guess I missed the 255/35 front size and 345/30 rears (I couldn't find that rear size at tirerack for reference). Which flavor of Potenza did you use?

I've tried to keep this thread semi up-to-date.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146312

Here is a copy of my invoice from Tire Rack from when I ordered my tires that Kendall installed.

Qty
Size and Description
Availability
Price Each
Total Price

2 345/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia In Stock $375.00 $750.00
1 BS/FS Warranty Packet In Stock N/C N/C
1 Tire registration card -retail In Stock N/C N/C
2 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N1 (Porsche) XL In Stock $290.00 $580.00
1 BS/FS Warranty Packet In Stock N/C N/C
1 Tire registration card -retail In Stock N/C N/C

I know that it is important that you specify the Porsche N1 tires for the front. There are two kinds in that size and it makes a difference if you get it wrong. :cheers

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
OOPS
My mistake...thanks Fubar.
I have the 255/40 fronts and 345/35 rears....

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I just had my second set of Scuderias ( rears ) installed after getting 10,000 miles on them. They had another 2000 miles left to go but had to be changed as I had commited to the new ones earlier not knowing that the first set would last so long and I had no way to transport them home.

IMHO way better than the Goodyears. Quieter / softer, better traction, longer life as I got 8000 out of the rear Goodyears and I really like the look!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Legs, didn't you alter the alignment a little? Or was that due to the suspension changes?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Yes young grasshopper :wink, I had discussed with Alex of T&A of the loss of "on center feel " once the Bridgestones were installed. He was not surprised as the Bridgestones had a softer sidewall and were about an inch wider therefore recommending a little less negative camber and a bit of toe in.
We also dialed in a little less negative camber for the rears since they were wearing on the insides a little prematurely.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes young grasshopper :wink, I had discussed with Alex of T&A of the loss of "on center feel " once the Bridgestones were installed. He was not surprised as the Bridgestones had a softer sidewall and were about an inch wider therefore recommending a little less negative camber and a bit of toe in.
We also dialed in a little less negative camber for the rears since they were wearing on the insides a little prematurely.

Would you mind posting up your exact specs. My car is due for an alignment soon and I would love to have Alex's recommendation for alignment on this tire.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I was planning on Bridgestones in the Spring. Is the 'loss of center feel, fairly noticable? I would also be interested in the camber adjustments made. Thanks.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
After reading this and also chatting with Stormcat, I think I need to try Bridgestones on my next set of tires(Tyres for me expatriates in England). I just had a new set of Goodyears installed before the Rally.

I am excited because after the Rally, I left my GT with Shadowman and had him finish a few mods, including T&A Pensky shocks, and I am going to pick her up this afternoon.:banana

Nice sunny weekend expected, so I cannot wait.....

I can post Terry's specs when I get back to the shop they are saved in the alignment machine:thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hi Folks,
I had the GT guys change mine to the Bridgestone scuderia setup (same tires like the Enzo, for info), but will change to the Pirelli's of the MC12.
That is the best tire, if you are going for the ultimate in handling and grip.

Only issue with these two alternatives to the standart is, with then wider front tires, you will (as I had) have cooling issues on the brakes, so the opened duct kit from the GT guys now is a very good consideration for you to go for with this change.
Also different front floating (!) disks, by the way, I strongly recommend...

With the Bridgestones, the Whipple2, the Penske's and so on I was smokin around Monza track, lapping Porsche GT2/3's as I wanted, easily passing even on the outside in the Parabolica curve, the curve speed on grip limit I was pushing left spectators (and us all) in awe, high speed curve handling a real blast, oversteer very managable and not a bit scary:thumbsup..
But I had to lift even before the start and finish line on the straight, otherwise the braking I achieved just wouldn't slow me down in time (two mid weight people in the car) at the end of the straight.
Continued until the brake fluid was boiling, and had to run the run off bypass... :biggrin

A little background here:
'The Maserati MC12 has the same engine, chassis and gearbox as the Enzo but the only externally visible component from the Enzo is the windshield.[18][19] The MC12 is slower accelerating (0–100 km/h in 3.8 s) and has a lower top speed (330 km/h) and less drag coefficient (due to sharper nose and smoother curves) than the Enzo due to engine tuning.[20] However, the MC12 has lapped race tracks faster than the Enzo before, specifically on the UK motoring show Top Gear, and the Nurburgring Nordschleife (at colder outside temperature). However this could be attributed to the MC12's Pirelli PZero Corsa tires which have more grip than the Enzo's Bridgestone Scuderias[21] and MC12 has sharper nose and smoother curves than Enzo.'

cheers from italy

Stefan

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Stefan good to hear from you. :thumbsup

Sounds like you're finally having time for way too much fun in your GT.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Stefan,

Do you happen to have the sizes and specs for the Pirelli tires from the MC12?

I'm trying to decide whether to fit Bridgestones or Pirelli's next time round - shouldn't be long to wait as these new Goodyears arent going to last very long with the Whipple III 4.0L fitted!

I wonder if they lower the car/gearing by much?

Thanks!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Stefan,

Do you happen to have the sizes and specs for the Pirelli tires from the MC12?

Thanks!

Hi friends !

yes, finally I had time to enjoy the FGT, and it is in a league by it's own, with the mods done.
The tyres are Pirelli P Zero Corsas with codes of 245/35 ZR 19 for the front tyres and 345/35 ZR 19 for the rear.

I think these are the best choice for sure.

cheers

Stefan

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Stefan I take it you mean the Corsa System tires and a since the fronts are a different diameter new matching wheels are needed. Have you tried these on your car? How would you rate these in comparison to the GY and Bridgestones.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Corsa+System