Bridgestone tires - thumbs up !

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Tires

Hi Folks,
I had the GT guys change mine to the Bridgestone scuderia setup (same tires like the Enzo, for info), but will change to the Pirelli's of the MC12.
That is the best tire, if you are going for the ultimate in handling and grip.

Only issue with these two alternatives to the standart is, with then wider front tires, you will (as I had) have cooling issues on the brakes, so the opened duct kit from the GT guys now is a very good consideration for you to go for with this change.
Also different front floating (!) disks, by the way, I strongly recommend...

With the Bridgestones, the Whipple2, the Penske's and so on I was smokin around Monza track, lapping Porsche GT2/3's as I wanted, easily passing even on the outside in the Parabolica curve, the curve speed on grip limit I was pushing left spectators (and us all) in awe, high speed curve handling a real blast, oversteer very managable and not a bit scary:thumbsup..
But I had to lift even before the start and finish line on the straight, otherwise the braking I achieved just wouldn't slow me down in time (two mid weight people in the car) at the end of the straight.
Continued until the brake fluid was boiling, and had to run the run off bypass... :biggrin

A little background here:
'The Maserati MC12 has the same engine, chassis and gearbox as the Enzo but the only externally visible component from the Enzo is the windshield.[18][19] The MC12 is slower accelerating (0–100 km/h in 3.8 s) and has a lower top speed (330 km/h) and less drag coefficient (due to sharper nose and smoother curves) than the Enzo due to engine tuning.[20] However, the MC12 has lapped race tracks faster than the Enzo before, specifically on the UK motoring show Top Gear, and the Nurburgring Nordschleife (at colder outside temperature). However this could be attributed to the MC12's Pirelli PZero Corsa tires which have more grip than the Enzo's Bridgestone Scuderias[21] and MC12 has sharper nose and smoother curves than Enzo.'

cheers from italy

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Good to hear that you are having fun with your car again. Sounds like our "track" setup is working out quite well.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hi Stefan,

Good to hear that you are having fun with your car again. Sounds like our "track" setup is working out quite well.

Hi Rich,
... it's perfect ! The car gives you so much confidence, and you dialed out the entire initial low power understeer... Cudos to you !

Very impressive setup, thanks GUYS :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Stefan

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Stefan,

So if the front tires have gone to 19" then prsumably you have changed the rims on your car?

What rims and size did you go for?

Thanks!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Here is a copy of my invoice from Tire Rack from when I ordered my tires that Kendall installed.

Qty
Size and Description
Availability
Price Each
Total Price

2 345/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia In Stock $375.00 $750.00
1 BS/FS Warranty Packet In Stock N/C N/C
1 Tire registration card -retail In Stock N/C N/C
2 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N1 (Porsche) XL In Stock $290.00 $580.00

I know that it is important that you specify the Porsche N1 tires for the front. There are two kinds in that size and it makes a difference if you get it wrong. :cheers

Thanks a bunch you made my life just that much easier.
Tom

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I guess I missed the 255/35 front size and 345/30 rears (I couldn't find that rear size at tirerack for reference). Which flavor of Potenza did you use?

I've tried to keep this thread semi up-to-date.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146312

And we thankyou for doing so.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi all

Just curious if anyone has this. I just checked Tire Rack for the Bridgestone and noted they have 235/45R 18 (94Y), this is the same size as our OEM Goodyear. Anyone has them? I'm badly in need to replace my tires and want some advise before I pull the trigger on the "more commonly" referred to 265/40ZR18 N1 for the front, and to get the 345/35R19 Scuderia for the rear. I'm curious as to why everyone went with the wider 265 or 255, when the 235 is available.

Thx

Ed

Here is a copy of my invoice from Tire Rack from when I ordered my tires that Kendall installed.

Qty
Size and Description
Availability
Price Each
Total Price

2 345/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia In Stock $375.00 $750.00
2 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N1 (Porsche) XL In Stock $290.00 $580.00

I know that it is important that you specify the Porsche N1 tires for the front. There are two kinds in that size and it makes a difference if you get it wrong. :cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Is it because they are 235/45R 18 (94Y) are not Z rated?

I see that the 345/35R19 Scuderia are not Z rated.

So, I am wondering as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

I don't know about the fronts, but the rears are Z and (Y) rated. Meaning speeds in excess of 186 MPH. More importantly the rears are OEM on an Enzo, so it the rear tire loading of an Enzo is the same or more than the FGT you are good, at least for strait line driving.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006

Don't think that is it because per Tire Rack's "service Description" the "Y" is rated in excess of 186mph. "Z" doesn't seem to be an officially recognized rating as Tire Rack did not include it in their description.

So, the question still stands... Help, my tires are showing their cord in the center (one of them show the cord more than 1 inch wide and more than a foot long!!!) from 3 hours worth of car-controls training... At the start of the day, the fronts has ~50% tread on them and the rears were brand new with less than 500 miles on them, since I put them on only 2 months ago....

Someone help me on the question on the 235/45 sized Bridgestone, please.... :biggrin

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I don't know about the fronts, but the rears are Z and (Y) rated. Meaning speeds in excess of 186 MPH. More importantly the rears are OEM on an Enzo, so it the rear tire loading of an Enzo is the same or more than the FGT you are good, at least for strait line driving.

Thanks. :thumbsup

(A little off subject). What rating is required for parking in Garage?:willy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks. :thumbsup

(A little off subject). What rating is required for parking in Garage?:willy

I think an F rated tire would work OK for EP. :rofl

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
GTED,

Either front will work fine. The 235 will fit just as the factory intended. The 265 will give you a slightly quicker turn in so you will feel the car react a bit more quickly to steering input. As long as you have a (Y) speed rating, the parentheses are extremely important, you should be just fine.

When my current Goodyears are a bit more worn, I'll be using the same tires as Skyrex.

Richard Hille
The GT School

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Great, thank you Coach! That's the kind of expert input I needed.

Ed

GTED,

Either front will work fine. The 235 will fit just as the factory intended. The 265 will give you a slightly quicker turn in so you will feel the car react a bit more quickly to steering input. As long as you have a (Y) speed rating, the parentheses are extremely important, you should be just fine.

When my current Goodyears are a bit more worn, I'll be using the same tires as Skyrex.

Richard Hille
The GT School

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
To JaxGT... now that global warming has ended and we're all dealing with temps in the teens.... what do you guys think of the Bridgestone's in this very cold weather?

Yes, I know extreme caution is the order of the day, but some of here in the south are use to driving 12 months outa 12 and I'd like an opinion from those who've tried 'em since my FGT will be returning from Area 51 with new Bridgies.

Thanks, REDEEMED

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
What is the concensus here regarding tread wear between the Bridgestone and the GY, which one lasts longer in FGT driving? I just ordered a set of Bridgestone 265 (N1) fronts and 345 rears. Afterward I got curious and looked up the tread wear rating...... The Bridgestone is rated 140, while the GY is rate 220!!! Well, if the GY is higher rating than the Bridgestone, and the GY only lasted 3 hours worth of car-controls training on friction circle and figure 8, I'd better find some other HARD tires for this type of training next time.

Also, shop around for prices, I contacted 3 different places and found the delta in price $30 each for the front and $50 eac for the rear!

Ed

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
What is the concensus here regarding tread wear between the Bridgestone and the GY, which one lasts longer in FGT driving? I just ordered a set of Bridgestone 265 (N1) fronts and 345 rears. Afterward I got curious and looked up the tread wear rating...... The Bridgestone is rated 140, while the GY is rate 220!!! Well, if the GY is higher rating than the Bridgestone, and the GY only lasted 3 hours worth of car-controls training on friction circle and figure 8, I'd better find some other HARD tires for this type of training next time.

Also, shop around for prices, I contacted 3 different places and found the delta in price $30 each for the front and $50 eac for the rear!

Ed

I have been using the Bridgestones for over 2 years in 265/345 sizes and absolutely love them. Tires with a lower tread wear rating don't always wear faster than another brand of tire with a higher rating. Besides I doubt you can find "other HARD tires" for our car in the correct sizes anyway. For what you paid for your GT, get the tires the car deserves and IMO, it would be the Bridgestones, unless of course you are tracking the car most of the time, then the R6's would be the way to go. You go to a DE to learn to control the car then you should use the tires that you'd normally be driving on.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
No tire will survive long on a dry skidpad ("friction circle"), which really should be wet down to prevent such expensive tire wear. As useful as a skidpad is for teaching car control, it is not a good predictor of real world tire life.

Howard

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I have been using the Bridgestones for over 2 years in 265/345 sizes and absolutely love them. Tires with a lower tread wear rating don't always wear faster than another brand of tire with a higher rating. Besides I doubt you can find "other HARD tires" for our car in the correct sizes anyway. For what you paid for your GT, get the tires the car deserves and IMO, it would be the Bridgestones, unless of course you are tracking the car most of the time, then the R6's would be the way to go. You go to a DE to learn to control the car then you should use the tires that you'd normally be driving on.

You're right. I'm actually thinking about getting another set of wheels for track events, even though I normally only do 3 to 5 times a year. I'm looking forward to trying the Birdgies when they are put on the car this Friday.

Ed

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
So what about the Bridgestones in very cold weather? I've gone thru 3 sets of the GY F1's and know how they act in the cold. Those of you that drive the Bridgies... how are they in the cold?

Thanks, REDEEMED

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
At what pressures are you guys inflating your Bridgestones for typical street use?