Bridgestone replacement source

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,
Thinking might be time to replace my tires.
They don't look too bad, but date code on the fronts is 2015 and rears 2016, so already 4 and 5yrs old.
Checked tire rack - they have fronts dated 2017 and rears 2018. Wish there were newer ones available, especially fronts...

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Strange. We have been purchasing these tires from TireRack - maybe at a rate of one set every 6-8 weeks and recently front and rears have been 2019 date codes.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Interesting. I called them today and thats what I was told. If you have a set of 2019s on hand, would happily buy from you.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Yep I had to take 2017 fronts 2 weeks ago....

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Strange. We have been purchasing these tires from TireRack - maybe at a rate of one set every 6-8 weeks and recently front and rears have been 2019 date codes.
Volume customer gets the good ones! lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Volume customer gets the good ones! lol

Perhaps, but it is just as likely that differences in product (date codes) could easily be a function of the fact that Tire Rack ships from regional distribution center having different inventory. Try asking them the same inventory question ('date code') - by zip code. ;-))

"...With eight strategically located distribution centers across the country, Tire Rack is able to offer fast shipping service options to our customers. In fact, most customers are within one to two business days of our Indiana, Nevada, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Minnesota, Louisiana or Georgia distribution centers,,,"

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I could almost see "older" tires for the fronts as that is a much more common size - but the rears have been occasionally out of stock for a few weeks at a time and then they seem to get new inventory which I have presumed is from Bridgestone. With our low volume, I doubt we get preferential treatment! What IS amazing is that we get tires in less than 24 hours from their Sparks Nevada warehouse. I had just ordered and received a set about 10 days ago - all had 2019 date codes. Anyway, I emailed my contact there and copied Mitchell so I hope he can help get to the bottom if it.

Stay safe, everyone!

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Respect the throttle pedal. I look back on my crash last November. Entering I55 north off US61. I55 was a sweeping left turn slight down hill. Clear cold day. Following SUV on northbound entrance ramp. Passing lane clear. Moved into passing lane immediately. I55 slightly off camber, 3rd gear and got on it. Back let loose and couldn't keep up with it. Hit right guard rail hard and i believe actually rolled against guard rail. All this with pretty good Bridgestones. Totaled it. I'm fine. As I said, "Respect the throttle pedal".

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think all ultra performance tires are known to be very bad n cold weather, no?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Yep, cold temps = reduced tire grip + increased engine power. Respect the throttle pedal.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
My info form one of the tire supplier mentioned here is that they consider tires "new" if they are under 4 years old.
Tire life depreciates based on use (preferred) or time. For me , 4 year old Bridgestone's are in the beginning of the replacement zone. So, unless the vendor can confirm the date code on the tires, I don't buy. Might be why some site have much better deals on tires than others. I'd keep checking until you get the date code you want.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Yes below 40 degrees most performance tires (or tires in general) don't have nearly the grip of ~70 deg F. The stock Goodyear loss in grip in the cold is even more noticeable. We call that 40 deg F the "Glass transition point" where the grippy rubber starts acting like plastic.

Further the FGT HP with the super charger is very sensitive to temperature. A bigger super charger is more temperature sensitive. So a 40 deg day with the engine barely at temp makes big HP. Like 10% more.

So this combination is what makes a 40 deg F day (or less) require noticeably more attention and respect for the FGT as Gary and many others note. It requires you to be more smooth and less aggressive on all controls - steering, throttle and brakes.

Reactions: digman1
Very interesting! Can you comment on tire behavior at or below 50 degrees F? Is loss of tire traction at those temps etc linear or does it follow a different curve?

Thanks!

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
We do not have a curve or objective data on the tires down at these temps...significant FGT and tire knowledge and experience shows that is the start of the worst point (the glass transition point)...for the tires at least. Tires behave linearly up to near the limit and then very non-linear at the limit and beyond. But down at cold temps we do not have specific data because the tire heats up fast on the test belt and we never test at those temps. So at about 40 deg F (cool Fall or Spring day) that many run in - the "step change" is very noticeable. Very non-linear. I can't tell you above or below with great confidence though it seems far more linear.

The engine HP...function of air density - air inlet temp (intercooler effectiveness plays a big role) and then engine and super charger temperatures.

As you get below ~70 deg F things start changing a lot, but most noticeable at 40 deg F and below.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on an 850 HP Shelby Super Snake. These tires turn to plastic at 50 deg. Incredibly noticable change in loss of traction from 60 to 50 deg. I don't drive any performance tire below 40 deg. At 50 degrees, I drive almost like on snow covered road, well, maybe not that bad, but getting close.

We do not have a curve or objective data on the tires down at these temps...significant FGT and tire knowledge and experience shows that is the start of the worst point (the glass transition point)...for the tires at least. Tires behave linearly up to near the limit and then very non-linear at the limit and beyond. But down at cold temps we do not have specific data because the tire heats up fast on the test belt and we never test at those temps. So at about 40 deg F (cool Fall or Spring day) that many run in - the "step change" is very noticeable. Very non-linear. I can't tell you above or below with great confidence though it seems far more linear.

The engine HP...function of air density - air inlet temp (intercooler effectiveness plays a big role) and then engine and super charger temperatures.

As you get below ~70 deg F things start changing a lot, but most noticeable at 40 deg F and below.
Thank you! I do not drive the car when it's below 45 and try not to drive it below 50 F, but during winter here in the Willamette Valley we have occasional dry road days between 45-50 and I like to get the car out at least once a month. Your comments are helpful.

Reactions: sahlman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
try Bill at radial tire 301-585-2740