Brake Pad Recommendations??

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I've had the Stillen Mintex Extreme Pads on my ride since '08. Around town driving they are OK. I like that there isn't a ton of brake dust, but when I get it on a bit and hit the brakes hard...............it's like I've got a pair of ice skates on.

They just don't hold! No confidence in them.

What is the consensus/driving impressions as far as brake pads "now" for non-track driving? Plus/Minus of each type of pad?

Thank you.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OEM? Unless you are tracking, what's the beef with using the OEMs? (I suppose you removed them for a reason - curious.)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 the OEM ferodo pads are very good for the street.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I too endorse the OEM Ferodo pads. I have numerous track days as well as street driving on them and they always perform as expected. I am very happy with what Ford put in our calipers from Wixom.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
OEM? Unless you are tracking, what's the beef with using the OEMs? (I suppose you removed them for a reason - curious.)

Brake dust. I was hoping That I would experience the same performance as stock.....at least that's hat Stillen said.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Duralast max ceramic. I find them to be much better than OE, with less dust.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Bill, were the pads not installed as SSV? See pic.

I am very happy with what Ford put in our calipers from Wixom.

Attachments

• GT Event 048.jpg
    GT Event 048.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 128

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I know the original post said no track, but dont use these on the track. Ask Steved57 and wwrabbit how they worked at NOLA (I think it was NOLA). They cooked and self destructed by mid day. I gave Steve some used Padgid spares to get through the day.

Duralast max ceramic. I find them to be much better than OE, with less dust.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I know the original post said no track, but dont use these on the track. Ask Steved57 and wwrabbit how they worked at NOLA (I think it was NOLA). They cooked and self destructed by mid day. I gave Steve some used Padgid spares to get through the day.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/25975-Brake-pad-learning-experience?highlight=cmax

Reading through the posts it seems like someone has fried every type of pad on the track. Plus your version of track time is going to be WAAAY different than mine. You are fast, I'm not. :biggrin
No dust, no squeal... fits my needs.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Andy, you are correct. A picture is worth a thousand words!

The rolling chassis assembled at Saleen's facility had the brake calipers installed on each corner before shipping to Wixom for final assembly.

Later non-CNC suspension A-frames shown in your picture....

And I agree, I would not use any pad on the GT for track use other than the OE or a racing pedigree pad (of which there are quite a few) just not a generic auto parts house pad.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Totally understand and how that pad is AOK for the street!! Just wanted to point out the difficulties some others had experienced.

The Padgid yellow did survive the day at miller.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And vague memories from R1!! Then pix to go back to.

Andy, you are correct. A picture is worth a thousand words!

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You may just need to bed the Mintex pads in again. I am running them front and rear with good performance under all types of braking.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Specracer is corect as I installed a set of the Duralast ceramics to cut down on dust on the wheels and destroyed them in one day at NOLA and when I got home found hairline cracks in my rotors ( do not know if it was fault of the pads ) which I of course replaced. I still use the Duralast on the street which they are fine for that but DO NOT USE THEM for a track day. Oh and thanks for the Pagids Specracer !

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Specracer is corect as I installed a set of the Duralast ceramics to cut down on dust on the wheels and destroyed them in one day at NOLA...

Was it your car or Wwabbit's that McGowan was driving when the AutoZone pads shattered braking for turn 1 at about 150 mph?

I was in the stands at the time. We watched the car blow through the cones and keep going down the straight. That was exciting! :/

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Was it your car or Wwabbit's that McGowan was driving when the AutoZone pads shattered braking for turn 1 at about 150 mph?

I was in the stands at the time. We watched the car blow through the cones and keep going down the straight. That was exciting! :/

Hey Gary
Yeah that was my car and it was kind of funny (once we knew we didnt hit anything) I told Mark brakes werent working and he said I wasnt getting them hot enough and was going to show me how deep the car could go into the corner before braking and deep we went ! Luckily there was the escape road :)

The pads didnt actually shatter they just wouldn't grip rotor/stop the car - and as mentioned are fine for street use with very little dust

Last edited:

Cobraguy

GT Owner
My Duralasts made it thru track day @ Pahrump drama-free.....clearly I am not going deep enough!! It's sure nice not having to clean the wheels after every trip to the Dairy Queen......

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
My Duralasts made it thru track day @ Pahrump drama-free.....clearly I am not going deep enough!! It's sure nice not having to clean the wheels after every trip to the Dairy Queen......

The thought of eating drippy ice cream in the GT makes me cringe....:eek

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Ha agreed Ed....both Bon and I have elderly parents that all live close by (by design)so we very often purchase a tray of covered hot fudge sundaes and deliver them.. I carry an old bath towel and a garbage bag under the right seat to cover the right floor mat to set them on during transport. Drippy ice cream cones are definitely a no-go.����

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ha agreed Ed....both Bon and I have elderly parents that all live close by (by design)so we very often purchase a tray of covered hot fudge sundaes and deliver them.. I carry an old bath towel and a garbage bag under the right seat to cover the right floor mat to set them on during transport. Drippy ice cream cones are definitely a no-go.����

Good lord, Rick. God bless ya for the ice-cream-on-wheels for your folks, but take the Raptor instead. Dairy products anywhere in the vicinity of the GT interior, despite your precautions, still makes my eye twitch[emoji6]