Boss 302 TracKey

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
I had the TracKey installed on my Boss LS, and all I can say is WOW! I got out of the car grinning from ear to ear :biggrin

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Gruntled, I am glad you are happy with TK. Many are not.

I have decided to wait and listen how others have received the new software.

Although I do track my Boss, I was really looking forward to the lopey idle which from most accounts has been watered down significantly from the teaser cars with pre-certified software.

The whole TK issue has been very poorly orchestrated which has left a sour taste with many. Very unfortunate for Ford as the Boss vehicle itself is stellar.

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
I posted this in the wrong forum (I've since posted in the Ford area)

About the idle - the lopey idle changes once you start hammering the car. Apparently the computer has to "learn" the driver, and the harder one drives it the more pronounced the lopey idle. There is now more immediate throttle response and engine braking. At low speeds, the engine braking is like throwing an anchor out the back. If you like old school sounds, run through the revs, let off, and listen to the overrun.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My take on the Track key is.Nice job Ford.Why some people have there nickers in a twist is beyond me.Ford did a nice job on the Boss and the TK Its an industry first .Kudos to Ford! Most people will not realize how good the TK is unless they can drive the car to its limits .It's really trick set up.Try the launch control.Very cool !The poorly orchestrated issue can only be blamed on CARB and the wonderful state of Cal.Nothing personal to my Cal buddies. (Especially Ed Sims!)
It was worth the wait in my book!
Ok I’m done ranting !Just my 02
Roketman

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ron-
I am glad you appreciate Track Key (TK), but as you are aware from your participation on the TMS forum, many owners are very frustrated and angry as to the lack of communication from Ford and Ford Racing for the almost year it took them to release the much hyped dual path TK program. And to be clear it was not solely California that held the certification process ransom. There are 13 states which subscribe to the CARB certification mandates (and oh, Massachusetts happens to be one of them) and 6 additional states are "considering" adopting the CARB standards.

The Boss vehicle is spectacular in its own right. It is the best handling Mustang to date without question. I love the mustang as I love the FGT for all that they both are. But the execution of TK as novel as it is was has been just bumbled by Ford from day one. The mustang software engineers (Jeff Seaman, Mark Sabuda, Gilbert Fournelle, and Dev Saberwal) all did a fabulous job of creating a whole new tuning concept and bringing this to fruition. The marketing of this product promised many things. Prototype display cars were loaded with preapproved software to show the future and present owners what to expect. Track Attack cars were also loaded with this Beta version of the code so we could drive Bosses on the track and experience what the software engineering team wanted to give us to enjoy.

Sadly, the now released and undoubtedly compromised in many ways (due to CARB forcing changes) software Ford Racing is selling is in the opinion of many of those who have purchased the product ($400-$500 total price) significantly watered down from original design intent and 12 months of pre-cert demonstrations.

If you are happy with the product, fine! Others have quite a different opinion.

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
In the Mustang forums I read, of those who have purchased the retail version of TracKey, by far, most are happy with their purchase. It may not have met the big expectations of some of the buyers, but they are still happy with it than not.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Lots of mis-information regarding the Track Key and CARB, etc. Ford Racing NEVER expected to deliver TK without CARB approval. Virtually all of the parts in their catalog have an EO number and they NEVER had a notion that they wouldn't need CARB approval. Further, according to a good Ford Racing source, Track Key had one of the fastest submission-to-approval process times EVER. So much for all of the internet buzz. (BTW, the fellas at CARB allegedly got quite a kick out of the Hitler video.)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
About the idle - the lopey idle changes once you start hammering the car. Apparently the computer has to "learn" the driver, and the harder one drives it the more pronounced the lopey idle.

Gruntled, this has been opined and found to not be the case. Boss owners have flogged their TK equipped car on the track for several sessions giving the PCM sufficient time to learn its new role and no difference in the idle. Wishful thinking for those owners who wanted the “as demonstrated” idle which after all was the genesis of the whole TK epiphany.

It may not have met the big expectations of some of the buyers, but they are still happy with it than not.
My expectations were not “big” as you cite. They were just give us the engine modifications you (Ford Racing) have been hyping the buying public with and demonstrating at car shows and track events for the last 12 months. Nothing more. Just deliver what you demonstrated you would. Ford Racing never made any mid-course correction statements that uh, we may have to change some aspects of TK just to get CARB to approve this thing, prewarning of a watered down concept. They never said a word during the lengthy process, so it is believed reasonable to expect what was demonstrated for a long time.

Kendall, I am glad CARB was amused at the Hitler video. It was very well done.

Are you springing for TK?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
Gruntled, this has been opined and found to not be the case. Boss owners have flogged their TK equipped car on the track for several sessions giving the PCM sufficient time to learn its new role and no difference in the idle. Wishful thinking for those owners who wanted the “as demonstrated” idle which after all was the genesis of the whole TK epiphany.

Read towards the end of the dealer instructions sheet. It might explain why some of those running hard on the track are not getting the 'idle'. I've heard so many Ford videos of the idle during the production process, and the sounds weren't really the same. Some of those were released before the car was sold, so who knows at what point in the development process they were recorded. I can't get a decent recording of my own idle to send to a friend. My personal idle still seems to be changing. The shaking of the car is most evident after driving it around awhile.

In some Ford publication, it mentioned something about removing the plates after TK to get a new 'idle' experience. I haven't seen comparisons on that one.

If you're going to be disappointed, don't buy it. I haven't heard of any current TK buyers wanting their money back. It's probably similar to a favorite musican(s) putting out a new record, there's a bunch of hype prior to release, and after it's released it doesn't match they hype, but still enjoyable.

We'll just agree to disagree. :eek:ld:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gruntled,

Just tell Indy that the stock Boss crank damper is a POS.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Gruntled,

Just tell Indy that the stock Boss crank damper is a POS.

OOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO, Please don't go down that path!!!! (And only if an IW).
Sinovac, you show your age and Forum time with that one....

Gruntled, that is fine. We can agree to disagree.

I still am very happy with both the FGT and Boss purchases. Both are simply amazing automobiles and I do thank Ford for bringing them both to market.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Just stirring the pot :)