Blown clutch already

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
So I don't know if its clear or not, but I am partners in www.gothmadreamcars.com we decided we had to pick up a ford GT for the fleet. Only problem is I guess the GT isn't a car to give an inexperienced driver. I thought it was an easy car to drive and a very good drivers car. However the 2nd renter of the car just blew the clutch in 35 miles. Car doesn't move had to be towed. Is there an upgrade tot he stock clutch available? something that grabs a little lower and is easier on the car to people that cant drive(something that grabs lower to prevent excessive slippage)?

Car has 1800 miles on it and now needs a new clutch. 1400 by me and my partner (only 400 rental miles). For reference all other 6 speed rental cars I know of get about 20,000-25,000 per clutch.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For reference all other 6 speed rental cars I know of get about 20,000-25,000 per clutch.

What's your point? You rent a car to an absolute idiot and now want to compare reliability to other 6-speeds. I have an idea! Why don't you call Mr. Idiot back and tell him you'll give him a discount on a couple of your other cars if he promises to drive them the same way. Then, let's see if they fail too.

Idea #2: Install the stock clutch and be a little more careful on who you rent to.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This is the first clutch failure I've heard of outside of Piko, who punishes the shit out of his car. I'm sorry, but I'm raising the eyebrow on whoever was driving this car. Pretty much every owner problem gets relayed on here, and I've never heard even a hint of this. Methinks someone was driving like a retard...

p.s saying the GT isn't the car to give an inexperienced driver is like saying not to give an 18 year old a pound of blow for his first taste of intoxication... :lol

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
this guy has rented from me probably 30 days last year. He is responsible, just dont think he knows how to drive stick very well. (Atleast thats my thought now). For a comprable rental, I gave my turbo cab 6 speed to a guy in DC who never drove stick before in his life. He put 600 miles on it. That clutch went another 12,000 rental miles after him.

I have a data logger in the car so i'll be able to see abuse if there is any. But i have a feeling there was no abuse to the car other then not knowing how to drive stick well.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I would be very interested in buying the old clutch, I have been looking for one for 6 months

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wait a minute. Is this "Found on the Road Dead" all over again? Are you sure it's the clutch and not the half-shafts? Over torqueing the half-shaft bolts causes them to shear, and then no go. This came from the factoey like that. Look back at the Found on the Road Dead postings here. Nice to know year and VIN # of affected car.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
DBK said:
Methinks someone was driving like a retard...

I have to agree with DBK. It's the loose nut behind the wheel.

If you really lost a clutch, did you tell your customers that 1 gear is spring loaded?

The duel disc clutch utlitizes 2 small disc and I bet the drivers are unknowingly starting in 3rd gear and making a birds nest in the bell housing.

In your case (renting the GT) I'd stick with the stock clutch. It'd be cheeper to keep replacing clutch packs instead of clutch packs and flywheels.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Yes it would be interesting - and rather worrying - if it's the half shafts, would you let us know?

The clutch on the GT is fairly bullet proof - the GT driven by the journalists in Europe has been deliberately abused and is still going strong. Not sure how you'd blow one - would lot's of fast starts in 3rd do it?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I have heard of a couple of people locally that burned theirs up in about 50 miles..the problem is that they think they are in 1st gear and they are starting off in 3rd all the time just slipping the crap out of the clutch.

If they break it they pay for it I guess but which driver broke it if it goes another 100 miles.

Matt

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Agree with the comments here.
Many people I’ve let drive the car have difficulty finding 1st gear and end up starting or attempting to start in 3rd. This surely is one issue. To solve this, have each new renter drive the car with you as passenger for a short distance. Suggest they make several 1st – 2nd – 3rd shifts. Then down shift to 1st and finally stop several times and have them put the car in reverse. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it’s so smooth your grandmother could drive the car.
Second issue is to keep in mind the break in for the clutch and brakes are important. If abused at the beginning they could become glazed and then with subsequent use things just get worse.
The Ricardo folks have put together a great transmission and the clutch appears to be able to withstand a lot of hard use. All kinds of press folks have kicked the garbage out of this car and no one has reported back about a weak clutch.
Suspect starting in 3rd could cause some issues but check the half shaft too.
From what I’ve heard the only way to snap the half shaft bolts is if they were not properly torqued from the factory or with real, real extreme abuse (lots of drag strip stuff).
Special thanks to Ricardo for making such a bullet proof and fantastically smooth 6-speed for the GT.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Hi Neil,

I trust all is well.

427Aggie's right.

To hit the performance and drivability numbers Ford used a 240mm Low Polar Inertia dual disc clutch pack. This setup has ample clamp load for the GT. [Exclude the insane Twin Turbo owners. “Insane” because I’m jealous:)]. The GT has enough torque drivers could start off in 3rd, slipping the clutch, feeling like it’s taking off similar to their own car. Not knowing they’re destroying your clutch. It doesn't have to be fast starts. After a few times you’ll have a bird’s nest in the bell housing. I suggest before you let anyone test drive your car, explain the spring loaded 1st gear and save a premature clutch replacement.

Cheers,

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Everyone is also spot on about the third gear issue.

One mode that will cause infant mortality on the clutch is taking off repeatedly in 3rd gear thinking it is first gear. Do it the first time, and the car will hestitate (not surprisingly - 3rd gear from takeoff) - and the next time they will give it more throttle to reduce the hest - several times doing this will fail the clutch. There is someone who went through 3 clutches before he realized where 1st gear was....

The shifter is tilted to the driver - you need to go left before you find first - straight ahead from shifter rest position is 3rd - even though it looks like "1st" in a traditional center mounted shifter. If the driver was inexperienced with a stick, I can see this happening.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
One other thing to keep in mind and I know we all experience it but until the tranny is warm...shifting to 1st is hard...this might make people think they are doing something wrong.

Matt

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Shifting from 1st to 2nd is not good until the transmission is warmed up (one might experience some grinding). Suggest shifting from 1st to 3rd until the transmission is warmed up. This is not uncommon and something many Ferrari / other transaxle owners are aware of.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
TrackDayThe Ricardo folks have put together a great transmission and the clutch appears to be able to withstand a lot of hard use. All kinds of press folks have kicked the garbage out of this car and no one has reported back about a weak clutch.[/QUOTE said:
I was speaking with someone from Porsche last week and he told me that Porsche currently can't put warrantees on used Carrera GTs because if used in stop and go traffic they go through clutches in less than 6K miles. This does say something about the Ford's clutch durability in a car costing one third the cost of the Porsche.

Rob

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
I was wondering what the birds nest thing was.... now I know :) nice little pile of black nesting down in there :)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Amer - yes all well thanks and I trust the same with you. It's been pouring with rain in London for days (raining now) and we have a hose pipe ban making it illegal to wash your car!!

I have to confess that when I picked up my GT I moved off in 3rd assuming the spring resistance to 1st was where reverse was - same as my old V8 Aston.

Only did it once though!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
You shouldn't assume it was this driver that messed up the clutch.
I rented a Ferrari 360 several months ago and had all sorts of problem, clutch issues too.

When I returned it, they blamed me for the clutch. It's an F1 so I shouldn't be able to mess up a clutch that easy, and I know I was not pounding on the car, someone else messed it up and it failed on me.

I guess this is why GT don't get rented out much, very easy to mess on up if you don't own it. Man, if I could rent a GT, I burn up a set of tires having a good ole time, probably a clutch too.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I sure have not had any problems shifting from 1 to 2 when cold (just 500 miles total). I would think hitting reverse instead of 1st would be extremely difficult since you really have to push on the shifter to get left of the 1st to 2nd gate. Since the shifter is spring loaded, I tell folks to gently pull the shifter against the spring tension until it stops then move up into 1st. Ford did not stray at all with the Reverse, 1st and 2nd set up from the days of the Ford Toploader in my 70 Boss 302...but what light years this tranny is ahead of 35 year old technology!

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
SuperB said:
You shouldn't assume it was this driver that messed up the clutch.
I rented a Ferrari 360 several months ago and had all sorts of problem, clutch issues too.

When I returned it, they blamed me for the clutch. It's an F1 so I shouldn't be able to mess up a clutch that easy, and I know I was not pounding on the car, someone else messed it up and it failed on me.

I guess this is why GT don't get rented out much, very easy to mess on up if you don't own it. Man, if I could rent a GT, I burn up a set of tires having a good ole time, probably a clutch too.

I have data loggers in my cars, so I can monitor engine load, Rpm, speed, coolant temp, throttle position etc. I know it wasn't the first renter and this guy was the very next.