Best Racetracks in America?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Truthfully, I've only really been on a roadcourse a few times. Straight line is now officially boring. I'm hoping that next year me and the old man can trailer out to a few different racetracks around the country and make a trip of it.

So what are a few good, loooong tracks for the GT to adequately stretch it's legs? Largest course I've ever driven is only 2 miles long, and that's the closest "big" track in MI.

VIR? Road America? Watkins Glen? Laguna Seca? That race country club out in Chicago? What clubs do you guys hit the tracks with? I plan on hitting Miller Motorsports park in Salt Lake City next year as part of this event Larry Miller puts on for higher end sports cars.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
My pick would be VIR, full course. I think VIR offers a little of everything, long straights, elevation changes, challenging corners, etc. I like Roebling but it is a little simple and much shorter when compared to VIR. Of course, I am a little biased...VIR is only about 80 miles from me.

TLP

Jan 21, 2006
Couldnt say because I have not had the chance to visit too many. The recently built Millermotorsports park in Utah is said to be very well done, reading on it, it was rated very high amongst many race teams who have had a chance to visit. AMLS will be there in July should be on NBC :cheers

I would pick Laguna Seca! (Mazda)

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'd place my vote for Road America. 4.0 miles around and the Kink is simply breathtaking. My second choice is Watkins Glen where I'm racing this weekend.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Best Race Tracks

The best race track anywhere is the one I'm currently racing on in my PL510.

I have visited to new Miller Motor Sports Park. Very, very impressive facilities. Multiple tracks, FIA level 2 rating out of the box.Could be the "best" in the USA. :usa.Mr. Miller spent over $50 million so he, his friends and the rest of the racing world could go out and have fun. Mr. Miller has a Ford GT (like in GT 40) collection and museum in Denver. I did not get the oportunity to drive on it - yet. I'll be attending the inagural Vintage week long event on the way to The Rally.
I'll have video's of this event with me in Detroit - if you're interested in watching, please let me know. I'll try and get into the museum with my video equipment too. It's on my way to Detroit. For The Rally. :cheers

Best is so subjective. Smoothest, safest, flat, hilly, slower speeds vs faster speeds, very technical or easier to learn.The list goes on and on. One tends to like the tracks they have done their best racing on.

Lets all root for Sharp33. Do well and have fun. Let us know your results. :cool

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
1. Miller
2. Road Atlanta
3. Sears Point - Infineon
4. Elkhart Lake - Road America
5. Laguna Seca
6. Watkins Glen
7. Lime Rock (very short course, great for nimble cars)
8. Willow Springs
9. Thunder Hill

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
In the midwest I've been to a few tracks, in a formula car, not the GT. They are all fun in different ways. Most host car club events. I've been to them with the BMWCCA, Midwestern council sports car clubs, and SCCA.

Grattan - Grand Rapids, MI. Great rolling hills, 1 major off camber corner, a jump, the toilet bowl (high bank), a blind high speed corner. But very rough.

Gingerman - South Haven, MI. smooth, linked corners, drivers track

Michigan International Speedway road course, get to run NASCAR turns 3-4, its been years since I was there so don't know if they still do it.

Road America - Elkhart Lake, WI. 4 miles. High speed straights. big brake zones, the kink.

Blackhawk Farms - Rockford, IL. 2 miles, tight fun track

Putnam Park - Indianapolis, IN. I don't remember much, it was so long ago with the BMW club. similar to BHF and GIN

Indianpolis raceway park road course. high speed corner off of the drag strip, tight hairpin.

Autobahn Country Club - Joliet, IL north and south course can be linked. they have events there where you don't have to be a member.

I think they have websites so you could google for more details...

What would be the most fun for a GT? I guess the only place where you could stretch its legs is Road America. I'll let you know after I've been to a few in the GT.

Last edited:

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
While I have not visited too many tracks, based on mostly South Eastern experience - VIR has to be the best. 3.7 miles of country bliss. Harvey has done a magnificient job with the track and has maintained the character of the old course. He did take my Heritage around the track last week-end for a few laps. Upon exiting the car he said "what color should I get..."

Road Atlanta used to be nice - but those concrete walls are too close and imposing. (See the historic 'Countach' photo as a stark reminder...)

Barber is magnificient - but more suited to my old Mini Cooper than the GT.

Roebling Road near Savannah, GA. is my favorite track. In fact I tracked the GT there yesteday for the first time. (+/- 145 to 150 mph at the end of the straight) I was very impressed. I was probably the quickest car on track in a field of race prepped BMWs, Alfas, Miatas, Mustangs and old Camaros. Car is bone stock and I found the tires to be the limiting factor. There is a lot more car there than the tires will allow. No overheating problems in 90 degree weather. But boy is she thristy. Went through 2 tanks of gas. Throttle steer has a new meaning to me!! :biggrin

Laguna Seca is magnificient, Brainerd, MN is nice too. Road America, Mid Ohio,
Summit Point, Watkins Glen. No shortage of nice tracks either. Two new ones coming on line next year. High Rock, NC (an EFR track) just off I-85 on the way to Greensboro and then a "Club" track a la, VIR that Harvey Siegel and Lee Brahine are doing in Southern New Jersey.

By the way if anyone is doing Robling Road I'd be happy to come along. I can offer instruction. I Instruct with PCA and BMWCCCA.

Gordo :cheers

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
VIR is a TON of fun to drive on, but my issue with it is it is a tough track to pass on when cars are similar. going into 1 is about it. maybe the left hander at the top of the esses if you are lucky and brave. The back straight coming out of oaktree, seems like a good spot, but being on the outside going into the roller coaster is tricky. BUT again to drive is a BLAST. Other fun tracks, MOSPORT (VERY FUN!!) mid ohio, lime rock, Road atlanta, sebring (horrible surface but still fun), Summit point, Laguna, Though few like it, I even like NHIS. Tracks I have not been to that I would like to, Road America, some year I will make it to the sprints, and be part of the specracer 90+ car field, Mt Tremblant, Roebling, I am sure there are others I am forgetting. Only a few that are not super, Moroso and Pocono come to mind, on the fence about Homestead.

One lost track that was amazing, Bridgehampton.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Dave

If you come to the Northeast Watkins Glen is long, fast, and fun. Can hit 165+ (depending upon nerve) and is technically challenging. Also it is an opportunity to drive on one of the most famous and historic tracks in the Country. When used for F-1 it was voted best venue several times.

For higher speeds try Pocono. Depending upon the event and course used you can hit high speeds but not very techncially challenging elsewhere.

Dave