Battery keeps dying

Cotty

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Minneapolis
I have an early '05 FGT, warranty up last Feb 09. 11,000 miles. Battery doesn't stay up. Should one expect it to need replacement after 3+ years ( like other batteries i guess)? Any other earlier cars replacing batteries, or should i look for another reason it is discharging?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Your car should have come with a charger that plugs into the dash power point to keep the battery charged. Many of us use battery tenders, and Kendall has a really trick setup for these cars. If it sits for 3 weeks, the battery goes down and you invoke the wrath of the electrical gremlins (particularly gauges). You might also want to check the ground strap. There are plenty of old posts about this, so the search button can be your friend.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Go to a Ford Dealer with teh GT technician and get a new battery, then use the battery charger that came with the car. I have my original battery now three years and it runs like new. Keep the trickler on 24/7 unless driving the car. Same with any car you keep stored not as a daily driver.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I would also do a recall search for the same issue. early 05 were affected by abnormal battery draw down.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
yes it's normal. In fact, I'm suprised your battery has made it this long. The optima batteries have proven not to be the most reliable.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I believe these Optima batteries fail more frequently if they are fully discharged several times. I had this happen and had to replace my battery. It's fine now.

Rob

Cotty

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Minneapolis
Wow, thanks for the quick response on the dead battery you guys! I read the old post re: sanding under the ground strap. I'll do that, but I suspect the Optima is fried. it's been compeletly discharged several times now.

Where do i search for the recall on the early '05 electrical draw downs -- thru my Ford dealer?

Also, have you guys figured out which is the best trickle charger? I read about one that said the leads could be hidden but only for an 06. What the heck is different from 05 to 06 i wonder.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Cotty,

This is Kendall (aka Cool Tech LLC). I suspect you may have read about the float charger on the websits. In answer to your question, we locate the small bracket in the front nose of the car where it can't be seen. The 2005 cars have a mesh grill that prevents the bracket to fit. Accordingly, no bracket is included in this kit and we advocate simply zip-tying the connector right next to the tow-hook threads.

As you are likely aware, there is a multitude of good FLOAT chargers out there. We happen to use the Battery Tender brand and never had ANY trouble but there are other good brands as well.

The OEM charger DOES work suffiently, however, in my opinion it is not ideal. Unlike aftermarket units, the OEM unit presents a constant, albeit small, current to the battery at all times. The aftermarket units (including the one we offer) "floats" on and off as needed and also gives you a nifty visible indicator to let you know what it's doing.

H

HHGT

I have kendall's Battery Tender on all of my cars. Never an issue.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I like the battery tenders LED indicators! No feedback with the stock charger.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I've had two batteries go dead after just one full discharge.
Stupid me I keep leaving stuff plugged into the 12V port.
I've gotten really good at changing out the battery, and cursing it's location.

Last edited:

Cotty

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Minneapolis
Thanks for the help you guys! I ordered one of Kendall's kits. I also called AppleValley Ford here in Minneapolis and they can get another Optima for 142$ + tax. Backorder for about 10 days. I"m going to batteries plus to check on Odyssey to see if it will fit without bulging up the trunk liner.

I guess i'll just have to drive my car more often. A tough situation but i'll make the best of it. thanks again. CL

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've had two batteries go dead after just one full discharge.
Stupid me I keep leaving stuff plugged into the 12V port.
I've gotten really good at changing out the battery, and cursing it's location.

B, are you getting the Telsa and the GT mixed up again? :confused

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I bought a replacement battery for $89 at a local auto parts store (for the GT):biggrin

The Tesla actually has a readout of the amps being pulled while driving, at max acceleration it pulls over 500 AMPS (600 I think, can't remember).