Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Interesting! PD

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Remote video camera

I was visiting my sister one Sunday and I had on a 4x4 Truck TV program where they modify trucks for various reasons. One of the mods was a remote rear view WIRELESS camera. It looked to be about 2-3 inches long and as fat as a big cigar. It had a couple of different mounts (the one they used looked like a velcro attachment). What was neat was the fact the camera was wireless. The monitor was about 3-4 inches, I think. It also had a few different mounting choices.

I believe he said it was in the $300 area. They showed him backing up against some articles in a drive and he was able to put the truck inches away from the objects.

I'll bet if you do a google search for a car & truck wireless backup camera, you may find several hits. Michael :biggrin

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
centerpunch said:
They have to make a pattern, so the first one costs more.

The Multivex mirrors (I have had them in a few cars and love them) normally stick-on over your existing glass. I'd rather snap the mirror and plastic carrier out of the car (according to the manual, it comes out easily), bust out the original glass, and have him make new glass that fits exactly in the plastic carrier so we have an OEM look.

I'd take one also, so perhaps a group buy makes the most sense. An LCD mirror that can accept two video inputs would be ideal.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
davisp said:
Here is the link to the rearview mirror kit that I thought would be a good fit for the GT. http://www.rearviewsystems.com/remiwin4lcdc.html

PD

I don't think strapping the Mirror/ LCD to the existing mirror is the best system. The GT mirror clips to the windshield base, so a replacement LCD/ mirror combo would be preferable.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
centerpunch said:
The Multivex mirrors replace your external mirrors, not the inside one.

Correct. I'm looking for a rearview/ LCD for a back-up camera and perhaps GPS :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
still waiting to see one installed... neatly... it has been a long while :bored

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Cool!

Bony, That link is cool. Thanks for reminding all of us to remember those who have given all for us and those who protect us today. God bless 'em! :thumbsup

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I am getting one installed at Genaddi desings (among other things). I should have the car back in 3-4 weeks.
I'll take pics and let everyone know how it was done.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Any updates on this subject, I need a backup camera, and after getting lost on the way to Saleen, Navigation might help too.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Camera

Just ordered an AudioVox LCMR5RP. Half the "mirror" is a 4.5" wide video screen.The unit replaces the existing mirror. Slides over the same mount. Got a wide angle camera for the rear. It looks pretty neat. Installation booked for Wednesday next week. I'll post more when it's done. Going to run $498 installed with camera. By the way - the new unit also has a built in compass and outside thermometer. Also has input for navigation plug in - so you can alternate between camera and nav system. See:
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=13792&langId=-1

Gordon

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The Audiovox sounds good, but I don't trust others installing stuff in my GT, at least until it's been done before.

I just bought this one
http://www.roadmasterusa.com/backupcamera_vr3.php
at Walmart for $98, will install today and let everyone know how it goes.
It appears the LCD runs of battery which would be great, no wires anywhere, and it's small enough to fit in the map pocket.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The piece of crap from china doesn't work, as expected.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
FB GT40 said:
Just ordered an AudioVox LCMR5RP. Half the "mirror" is a 4.5" wide video screen.The unit replaces the existing mirror.
Gordon

What did you do for the interior lights that the stock mirror had? I think those are the only light other than the switches and instrument panel.

BlackICE

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Good point...

Very good point and one I had overlooked entirely! Those lights are very useful
as I have found in the past. Have to figure something out! Any suggestions?

G.

GTF-40

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2006
columbus, ohio
i am up for the convex mirrors, especially if we can get them to make a replacement for the original glass. i have them on a countach, i separated the glass from the plastic retainer on the factory vitaloni turbo electric mirrors and used silicone to hold the new convex glass to the holder, looks factory and works nice, a lot easier to change lanes and back up. Maybe a group buy? ge

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha Ha Ha, the nuclear reactor light lights up everything!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Back up camera

Finally got the back up camera installed. Major hassle and expense.
Audiovox LCMR5RP. Mirror/monitor $440, camera $100, installation, $450. Ouch. Neat stock looking installation. First installation fried all the wiring near the exhaust. We've now wrapped the wires with exhaust tape.

Does the mirror/monitor work? Sort of. In a back-up situation it’s good and will clearly show you there is something behind the car. I also wanted to use it for the blind spots while driving. It does not cover the ¾ view too well. I got the widest angle camera we could find. On the road driving – the screen is not quite bright enough and the bounced reflections off the back glass interfere with your view. At night the camera works very well. Would I recommend it? Yes. But I’m sure there is a better one out there somewhere. Note: You do loose the interior lights that are in the GT stock mirror. Not sure I'd spend that much again, knowing what I know now.

Gordon.

Attachments

• Mirror.jpg
    Mirror.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 108

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Gordo,
Does the mirror you have also feature an internal passenger compartment light?
Keep us posted how the camera handles the heat.
Thanks.
Daniel