back up camera

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Anyone thought or actually installed a backup camera?

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Back up sensors

I have back up sensors on my '05 F-150 and they work great. They will sense a twig that is less than 1/4" dia. It tells me to stop when the truck gets within 8". It doesn't need a screen, it just beeps at you. I wonder if they can be added to to the GT, after all, it is a Ford option.

Craig

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Canuck, I have researched the back up camera and found a couple that I think would work very well. For now I have decided to resist the urge and spend a little more time getting comfortable with the car before deciding if the back up camera is really necessary. A better idea might be a set of convex mirrors http://www.multivexmirror.com/index.html. My issues with visibility have more to do with side to side visibility for lane changes and less of an issue with seeing out the rear. Is your concern rear visibility or side view? PD

Last edited:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I use my mirrors as race drivers to check next to me and in the blind spot. In this position you can not see beyond your rear bumper with the side mirrors. If fact you don't see the side of your car but rather into the lane immediately next to you. You really depend on the rear view mirror to see behind you to guage whats going and what is catching up. I may need to change this if rear viability is poor. I would also probably use a camera for parking in parallel fashion as needed and maybe while driving. Is the heat form the rear of the car too much for a camera? In regards to the car I haven't taken her out yet because the streets where I live are all muddy from Sping thaw and there are lots of dirty puddles and dirt so I will still wait a week or two for city clean up crews. I am going to wait and see what it is like. I will probably end up leaving it as is and adjust as needed. I am just curious.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
not to be a smart ass..but...I try to never park where I have to back up...and I never worry about what is benind me...on the road...gas it and go..had the same problem with the F430...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have a new Range Rover Vogue S/C - it has a very neat (small) weatherproof camera with a 'fisheye' lense. I would have thought camera tucked up into the rear skirt (under the car) would avoid the heat issue.

The GT is a sod to reverse - real heart in the mouth stuff. A little camera might be useful.

Jay? :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
davisp said:
Canuck, I have researched the back up camera and found a couple that I think would work very well. For now I have decided to resist the urge and spend a little more time getting comfortable with the car before deciding if the back up camera is really necessary. A better idea might be a set of convex mirrors http://www.multivexmirror.com/index.html. My issues with visibility have more to do with side to side visibility for lane changes and less of an issue with seeing out the rear. Is your concern rear visibility or side view? PD

These folks don't offer one for the GT, I would buy one in a NEW YORK second if they did. I am waiting to see someone install a camera in a sano fashion and avoid the heat issues, as soon as I see an installation that I like, I will follow.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
I have a kit from Plate Cam but haven't had time to installed it. I've seen them installed, it has a color screen and a good clear picture.

http://www.crimestopper.com/

Click on Plate Cam.

Hope this helps.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I parallel parked my GT outside a restaurant today! In front of a developing crowd!

What do I win? Surely some respect??!

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
The question is where to put the screen?

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Regarding the "Multivex mirror-- Mulitvex will be making one for the GT in the near future. They are waiting for me to provide them with the mirror paterns. I will keep you posted on progress. As for the back up camera, there are several companies that make a rear view mirror with a 4" LCD display on the drivers side of the mirror. The rest of the mirror is normal rear view. It attaches to the front of your existing mirror. Some of them even have dual inputs so that you can connect two seperate cameras. I will locate and post the links when I have some free time. PD

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neil, you win a set of new wheels to replace the ones you got all scratched up parallel parking. Was there a curb? You're much braver than I am.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
screen goes on the mirror

A guy stopped me in the parking lot the other day and said he had already fitted two GTs here in Orlando with the audiovox rearview camera. Said they work great and mount on the reaview mirror. I will go and check out his shop and see if he has and more detailed info..

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Here is the link to the rearview mirror kit that I thought would be a good fit for the GT. http://www.rearviewsystems.com/remiwin4lcdc.html

PD

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
fjpikul, there was a big curb - so additional kudos to me! I do recall humming slightly as I walked away.... :biggrin

I'm just trying to remember if I ever had to parallel park my Murcielago - I don't think I ever did. However, a quickie story on that.... I went to the New Forest in it a few years back (a sort of UK National Park) and didn't notice the width restriction sign on the narrow road.

I had to reverse back up for roughly two miles. Oh, and everybody behind me did as well. Mr Popular Jerk in the flashy yellow Lambo!

Have you ever had a bead of icy cold sweat trickle down your back??

That moment was priceless, awful, heart stopping, embarrassing etc etc etc :ack

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
--Davisp,
I got in touch with Multivex as well and that's exactly what they told me. Uhm. Are we being "played"? I hope they are not charging us extra $$ but maybe they are. I like the rearview camera but I'd like to see a car that has one already installed first. Any testimonials?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
davisp said:
Regarding the "Multivex mirror-- Mulitvex will be making one for the GT in the near future. They are waiting for me to provide them with the mirror paterns. I will keep you posted on progress. As for the back up camera, there are several companies that make a rear view mirror with a 4" LCD display on the drivers side of the mirror. The rest of the mirror is normal rear view. It attaches to the front of your existing mirror. Some of them even have dual inputs so that you can connect two seperate cameras. I will locate and post the links when I have some free time. PD

would be pleased to see a working installation on a GT, sounds neat.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I have parrallel parked a few times, not fun at all.
My wife tries to help guide me in but that's almost worse than no help :wink
Takes several tries, and by the time I get parked the crowd is pretty large.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Canibl, I think he may be playing us. He quoted me $96.00 to make the first set. He said that after he has made the initial pattern he will charge new customers $68.00 ?? PD :ack

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
davisp said:
Canibl, I think he may be playing us. He quoted me $96.00 to make the first set. He said that after he has made the initial pattern he will charge new customers $68.00 ?? PD :ack

maybe you can get a group buy going, put me down for a set please.