Autozone Backup cameras

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
I was in Autozone tonight buying a wrench to install my new harness and saw a wireless backup camera and display for only $70. I always have trouble seeing when trying to back into my garage and this may come in handy. Anyone tried this camera from Autozone?

Thanks!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I was in Autozone tonight buying a wrench to install my new harness and saw a wireless backup camera and display for only $70. I always have trouble seeing when trying to back into my garage and this may come in handy. Anyone tried this camera from Autozone?

Thanks!

Wonder if you could mount those in dorm rooms at colleges etc? :wink

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

Thanks!

I purchased one from WalMart while travelling to Rally III in Newport for about $90. It has a license frame mounted camera and remote, wireless screen. I bought it for the back of my 50 foot trailer. Other than the fact that the signal was designed to travel about 11 feet, not 68 total feet, it worked well. On that particular application, reception from the back was sketchy, but when used on a car, it is was good.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Well I bought it today anyway to try it. The "wireless" unit requires installation into the rear tail lights and backup lights. Screw it! I will return it tomorrow. It will likely melt back there anyway!

Rich

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The "wireless" unit requires installation into the rear tail lights and backup lights.

Well, ya see, there's "wireless"...and then there's "TRUELY wireless"!

Ya gotta read the fine print! The devil's in the details! :lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wireless is the communication to the display, the camera itself and the wireless transmitter, of course still need power.

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
:thumbsupI took a different approach. I had the same problem backing my Gt on to my lift. Found four great little wireless battery operated mini-cameras. Mounted them on all four corners of the lift . Thet send a signal to a small color hand held LCD screen. You can toggle through all four at will.

Since then, I haven't scraped a rim!

JL

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:thumbsupI took a different approach. I had the same problem backing my Gt on to my lift. Found four great little wireless battery operated mini-cameras. Mounted them on all four corners of the lift . Thet send a signal to a small color hand held LCD screen. You can toggle through all four at will.

Since then, I haven't scraped a rim!

JL

Hey, JL, why would/do you need to back the car onto your lift? (Wall/driver's door?)

'Just curious, that's all. :cheers

Last edited:

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm thinking of getting a backup camera, can anyone suggest a good wireless one? i dont want to fiddle with a wired connection to the taillights...

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
I suggest the shadowman backup camera solution. it's not wireless, but works great!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had a wireless camera, it work OK, but the picture was a little grainy. The biggest problem I had was the brightness and contrast settings were not remembered and had to be adjusted after every power cycle. Note you still need to connect the camera to a power source, usually the backup light.

Now I have Kip's 2 DIN with Pioneer nav unit and a wired camera. It works much better.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Well I bought it today anyway to try it. The "wireless" unit requires installation into the rear tail lights and backup lights. Screw it! I will return it tomorrow. It will likely melt back there anyway!

Rich

I just ran a wire up to the defroster screen connection and I just flip the switch on the dash for the defroster to turn on the camera. You can just stick the wire under the clip. No permanent modification, and butt easy. I also bought a Swann portable receiver and so I can stick it up to my face and see what's going on. I also bought a Swann camera and battery so I can stick it in the garage when I pull in and see where the tires are...real close....just use a different channel on the receiver. There are 4.