ARP Halfshaft Bolt Upgrade Interest List

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK, here we go... After a lot of discussion, inspection, and analysis of user failures, there's a few of us who believe that the best course of action is to seek the production of some vastly superior attachment bolts in place of the "ordinary" Ford-supplied M8 bolts.

As has been discussed here before, the primary suspicion of the root cause of the bolt-loosening and shearing problem is the fore-aft rotational play between the splines of the output shaft and the hub. This continuous movement is suspected to be the "force" which causes the bolts to loosen.

Historically, popular opinion (including my own), was that the M8 attaching bolts would eventually back our far enough so that the splined shaft could be dis-engaged. This disengagement would cause the torque load of the wheels to be completely upon two minuscule M8 bolts which would mean an instant shear condition.

HOWEVER, there has been at least one owner reporting a failure of an M8 bolt (sheared head), while the second bolt is still in place and in tact. (Obviously this discovery would be found during a preventative maintenance task since the transaxle would remain fully functional with just one bolt in place.) Furthermore, for those that have had a failure, the bolts are most frequently found sheared right where the threads meet the head. This is, by far, the weakest part of a bolt and would lend credibility to the theory that the bolts are being sheared by fore-aft fatigue and not solely because of complete loosening (and ultimate shearing because of spline disengagement).

The scariest part of this later scenario is twofold;

1. Ford has made no change to the M8 attaching bolts even in the latest repair kits they are distributing.

2. Safety wiring of the weak bolts may not be sufficient to eliminate their eventual failure.

With that said, the best "fix" for the current design would be to source superior attaching bolts to be used in conjunction with Ford's hardened washer. AMB has spear-headed discussions with ARP to manufacturer M8 bolts for our application. The material of the bolts will be vastly superior to our existing bolts and the bolts will have a shoulder eliminating the weak spot where the threads meet the head. Because of the low-production run, ARP has communicated a price of $10/bolt ($40 per car) and a 10-week availability timeframe.

Both AMB and myself are "in" and will plan to use the superior bolts from ARP.

Side Note: I have GT #1208 in 2006. Upon inspection today, my driver's side halfshaft was in perfect shape other than about 1/2 teaspoon of transaxle fluid inside the coupler. The two M8 attaching bolts were torqued tight and the updated (black) washer showed no signs of warping.

This thread is intended solely to get a show of hands of other owners who are interested in the bolts. On January 28, we will compile the list of interested parties and we will place the order with ARP on January 29. So, please post in this thread if and only if you are interested to receive the upgraded bolts. If you would like to discuss or debate any of the above info, I'd kindly ask you to cut/paste the appropriate text to the merged thread discussion on the topic.

Note that neither myself or AMB have any financial interest in this bolt replacement scenario. If costs are lower than the $10 quote, it will be passed on to everyone who is "in".

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Looks like we are on the same page. Count me in. Will you be doing the upgrade in your shop? If so, I will be making a appointment ASAP.

H

HHGT

I'm in too Kendall.

Sam

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Will the bolts be drilled for safety wiring? I'm in regardless.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Kendall, I'm in.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Yes please - why not put the UK down for a minimum of 5 complete sets? I'll buy the lot and distribute to the UK Forum owners if they want them.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Kendall, Put me down for a set when available. Tomy Hamon

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I'm in for 4 sets please.

While I hope the replacement parts from Ford fix the problem I can see a senario where we get 2 more years down the road and out of warranty...then we start seeing more failures and the answer from Ford is..oh sorry your out of warranty! Best to be prepared.

matt

Last edited:

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
bolts

Count me in too,for two sets.
Guy

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Two sets :thumbsup

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Two sets for me, please!
Desi

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hello Kendall,
Uno set bitte.
Thanks for your leadership,
Daniel

Rich, The GT Tech spoke volumes about replacing bolts and washers on transaxles that were installed on the GT's and on the shelf awaiting installation while he was building the cars.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Put me down for two sets also. thanks!

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I will take a set, thanks!

Derry

DLKGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 10, 2005
Southern CA & Hilo, Hawaii
Bolts

Hi Kendall: It was good to see you again last Sat. and to meet your family. You have a great place and a garage to "die for".

Further to our discussions and even though I have had the "repair" after my bolt failure, please put me down for a set (4) of these new bolts - I consider it cheap insurance.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'm In

Kendall,

I'm in for 2 sets.

As Dr. Frank asked "are the heads going to be drilled for saftey wiring?"

Thanks,

Fred

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
One set for me please. Thanks.

Eliot

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
Boltz

I'm in for 2 sets when available.

66GT40

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 18, 2005
Two sets for me. Thank you.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Ok. I'm in this for the long haul. Please send me the upgraded bolts.