Are the spark plugs in the GT a time bomb waiting to happen?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
gtjoey said:
GUYS IM NOT USUALLY ONE TO COMPLAIN :biggrin ,OPINIONATE :biggrin , OR BEGRUDGE SOMEONE OR SOMETHING , BUT HOLY SH#$@T THIS THREAD MAKES THE HALF SHAFT AND DBK GETTING MARRIED THREADS LOOK LIKE THEY MAKE SENSE...... LETS ALL FACE IT THE GT IS JUST THE TITS, THE REAL DEAL, THE GTJOEY OF GTJOEYS :biggrin .SO EAT SOME TURKEY LOOSEN THE POLYESTER PANTS,TAKE A DEEP BREATHE AND DREAM OF BONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL DAY!, I MISS YOU BONY,BONYYYYYYYY :thumbsup GTJOEY JUST HAPPY TO BE DRIVING ONE OF THE GREATEST HOT RODS WITH THE LOWEST TSB'S :biggrin EVER MADE. FREDDY PASS ME A DRUM STICK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO NOT THE BLONDE FROM THE PICTURE. :biggrin GTJOEY 1314 WILLING TO BUY ALL DEFECTIVE SPARK PLUGGED GT;S FOR 30,000 OR LESS :thumbsup

right on my friend, but I will have to raise you to $35k for those defective GT's.
I just put in some NGK TR6's which are guaranteed to hold their 13lbs of torque.
Can't wait for INDY... maybe we can do an advance trip??? :banana :willy :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MAD IN NC said:
The Plugs - the Plugs!

My man Michael.... hope his plugs are torqued to 13lbs. Understand him and Rev Sharpton and Jessie "rent a riot" Jackson are all sharing Swanson's Turkey Dinners today... :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
jasper said:
it's thanksgiving and i aint got a turkey :willy

happy thanksgiving to all

Hey JOHN,
No turkey here either babe, clear broth this year. But I am home...
Yipeee. Sent my Doc a few bottles of Grange, he deserved it.
Cheers,
daniel

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
isaakgt said:
How are those kangaroos for eating. The brown snake is suppossed to taste like chicken. At least you have a few options. You all have a wonderful thanksgiving down under. :cheers

Every see the Roo bars on front of those land trains that run accross OzLand?
You sure as hell don't want to hit one of those overgrown road rats. :eek

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
No way! Ok, this is a NOTORIOUS problem with Lightnings (5.4 blown V8). This was a problem with 99-02 Lightnings only though (as far as Lightnings go , you'll find it's a common problem for the modular heads Ford produced though) because they had 4 "threads" holding them down, where as the 03/04's had 7 or 8 (I've gone blank, it'll come back to me tonight I'm sure). I don't see why the GT, which is after 04 (and the high dollar Ford), would have this problem. Also, stock or not, the earlier Lightnings were known to "shoot" plugs out; now adding a pulley did seem to make the problem a bit worse, but it still happened when stock. I heard they updated the 5.4l heads after nov. 12, 2002. But I'm not totally sure on that date.

Either way, I have a hard time believing Ford has not handled the problem.

NGK TR6's are what alot of Lightning guys use after they have increased boost (which is almost all Lightnings, since most have a pulley on them now).

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
daniel good to hear your home buddy. :banana

just make sure mrs bony hasn't got the sparkplug of that blender
pointed your way :eek

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hey baby , what happened , had your plugs cleaned out? :biggrin . I JUST HAD TO DO IT..... :thumbsup GTJOEY JUST WAITING FOR THE DAMN METEOR TO HIT IN 2035 :willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
gtjoey said:
Hey baby , what happened , had your plugs cleaned out? :biggrin . I JUST HAD TO DO IT..... :thumbsup GTJOEY JUST WAITING FOR THE DAMN METEOR TO HIT IN 2035 :willy

Hey Joey baby, sweetheart, yah heard about my sparkplug problem, didja? Knew those sluts,...ah choir girls at the BADA-BING couldn't keep their traps shut. Can't trust the little sisters of charity, can you?
Just heard about the big quake-shake of 2056 and how it will impact Fresno, we will become a waterfront community,... therefore I have to run as I am installing a new boat dock... take care baby :party :club :party

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
HHGT said:
Any previous Cobra SVT owners that have heard of this and has anyone checked their plugs? Any service bulletins?

My cobra was running around for over 6 months with 2 plugs exactly how you described your friends. 550 rwhp/rwtq on 6 firing cylinders. They never shot out, but I do have 9 thread heads. My 2 pistons look just like your picture, plus my heads are currently being milled due to damage from broken electrodes/detonation...

BlackStorm said:
Either way, I have a hard time believing Ford has not handled the problem.

They (Ford) never did until 2004. As far as pre 2004, they probably won't do squat. Most US spec/produced Ford OHC heads had this problem from 96-mid 03. I've seen a bunch of articles/FYI's about this "4 thread" business pop up on the web in the last 3 weeks. Nothing new, just recent hysteria.

You can also add the following to the Ford engine ignore list: 03/04 cobra and mach1 heads that don't have coolant passages in 7 and 8 (unless you spring for the January 2005 or later produced heads), 03/04 cobra PTW factory clearance, Lightning plug launches etc. etc.

GT guys are lucky, they don't have any of these problems. 50W oil fixes their only engine problem.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
50 BMG said:
GT guys are lucky, they don't have any of these problems. 50W oil fixes their only engine problem.
What engine problem does the 50w oil solve on the GT?

BlackICE

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
BlackICE said:
What engine problem does the 50w oil solve on the GT?

BlackICE

Problem = GT cam profiles. 50W is for the lash adjusters.

EDIT: Here is the thread:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/crower-cams-45339-5.html?highlight=GT

Pay attention to posts #73 and #78

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
50 BMG said:
Problem = GT cam profiles. 50W is for the lash adjusters.

EDIT: Here is the thread:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/crower-cams-45339-5.html?highlight=GT

Pay attention to posts #73 and #78

Excellent Post :thumbsup

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
50 BMG said:
They (Ford) never did until 2004. As far as pre 2004, they probably won't do squat. Most US spec/produced Ford OHC heads had this problem from 96-mid 03. I've seen a bunch of articles/FYI's about this "4 thread" business pop up on the web in the last 3 weeks. Nothing new, just recent hysteria.

You can also add the following to the Ford engine ignore list: 03/04 cobra and mach1 heads that don't have coolant passages in 7 and 8 (unless you spring for the January 2005 or later produced heads), 03/04 cobra PTW factory clearance, Lightning plug launches etc. etc.

Right. My logic was that if they fixed it for the 03/04 Lightnings, they would fix it for their supercar!

Your comment about "recent hysteria" is funny because I've seen things like this happen before; it's nothing new it just happened to be put on the boards and is now the thing to talk about.

Sorry to hear about the Cobra. :frown

Yeah, and I did remember. In 03/04 they upgraded to 8 thread heads for the Lightning.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Bony And The Blowing Out Of His Plug

us us us and them them them and in the end we wish we were bony in the end................... :willy BONY WONT YOU BLOW , BONY WONT YOU BLOW, BONY WONT YOU BLOW YOUR PLUUUUUGS . OOPS I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PRIVATE EMAIL :biggrin I WISH I COULD GET MY PLUGS BLOWN OUT. GTJOEY. IM CALLING FREDDY AGAIN, IS THIS ANOTHER CONSPIRACY :eek HAVING FUN GTJOEY 1314

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
gtjoey said:
us us us and them them them and in the end we wish we were bony in the end................... :willy BONY WONT YOU BLOW , BONY WONT YOU BLOW, BONY WONT YOU BLOW YOUR PLUUUUUGS . OOPS I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PRIVATE EMAIL :biggrin I WISH I COULD GET MY PLUGS BLOWN OUT. GTJOEY. IM CALLING FREDDY AGAIN, IS THIS ANOTHER CONSPIRACY :eek HAVING FUN GTJOEY 1314

ooooooh, that don't sound good. :eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
gtjoey said:

Joey Baby, I sent you some 900 telephone numbers that should be of use in your time of need.
Had no idea you had problems with your spark plug, tell me, is it a preignition issue, or just no spark. Talk to Dr. Bony, I can help you baby, boobala! :biggrin :banana :biggrin

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
bony said:
Joey Baby, I sent you some 900's that should be of use in your time of need.
Had no idea you had problems with your spark plug, tell me, is it a preignition issue, or just no spark. Talk to Dr. Bony, I can help you baby, boobala! :biggrin :banana :biggrin
maybe Jowy has experienced premature sparkplug ejaculation, Bony... needs to increase the gap, to avoid too early sparking, known also as premature detonations, BABY ! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Thanks, Guys. It's 3:00 a.m here and I have fallen out of my chair for the 3rd time laughing at some of these posts. :cheers :thumbsup :rofl

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
ITS JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL THREAD, IM GOING AND GOING AND GOING , THEN FROM ALL THE VIBRATION, BACK AND FORTH :biggrin UP AND DOWN :biggrin IN AND OUT , THINGS GET CRAZY, CANT HOLD ON, :ack THE ROOM STARTS SPINNING :willy BONY!, BONY! BONY! :banana AAHHH! BLEW OUT THE PLUG, ALL DONE, GOOD NITE NURSE, CANT CRANK ANYMORE SCHRAPNELL ALL OVER THE JOINT, DEAD, DONE . IS THIS AN ITALIAN THING? :frown NO JUST MY PLUG WEARING OUT AFTER A LONG RUN... :biggrin AAHHH NITE, NITE. TO THINK ALL THIS FROM A SPARK PLUG..........................NOW WHAT ABOUT YOUR HALF SHAFT :biggrin BATTA BING BONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GTJOEY 1314

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
gtjoey said:
ITS JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL THREAD, IM GOING AND GOING AND GOING , THEN FROM ALL THE VIBRATION, BACK AND FORTH :biggrin UP AND DOWN :biggrin IN AND OUT , THINGS GET CRAZY, CANT HOLD ON, :ack THE ROOM STARTS SPINNING :willy BONY!, BONY! BONY! :banana AAHHH! BLEW OUT THE PLUG, ALL DONE, GOOD NITE NURSE, CANT CRANK ANYMORE SCHRAPNELL ALL OVER THE JOINT, DEAD, DONE . IS THIS AN ITALIAN THING? :frown NO JUST MY PLUG WEARING OUT AFTER A LONG RUN... :biggrin AAHHH NITE, NITE. TO THINK ALL THIS FROM A SPARK PLUG..........................NOW WHAT ABOUT YOUR HALF SHAFT :biggrin BATTA BING BONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GTJOEY 1314

nighty night my friend...
I don't have half shafts, just quarter shafts, they cut to much off at the factory :cheers badda-bing :cheers