Anyone have a clue as to how many Mac delete cars so far?

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
I assume this is a ludicrous question, but anyone know how many GT's are leaving the factory with the Mac deleted?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I'm following the "Sub and Mac delete" thread from BlackIce who last posted in "Ford GT Tech at 3:44AM today after just installing his new Pioneer 4800.

There should be a repalacement stereo "kit" from somebody out there including the Sub Replacement Panel that the 96% of Mac owners can have an alternative option....

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
centerpunch said:
I'm standing by my 1% non-Mac number until Ford releases data that shows us otherwise.

I too think none of the Euro spec'd cars came with a Mac. All the canadian cars so far on this sites registry have standard radio as well.

Did yours come with a Mac delete centerpunch?

Not counting the registry on this site, I've only seen 2 US spec'd cars with a factory Mac delete anywhere: 2006 #498 and 2006 #40, both heritage.

Here are the members from this boards registry with US spec'd cars and no Mac: ENZO BTR, Easy Eric, pl510, neilhellr, AMB, PMC, red gt 1442.

I'd speculate a majority of the Mac delete folks out there are registered on this board. Centerpunch may be well on target with the 1% figure.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would guess the final count of cars built without subs are between 1% to 5%, or 40 to 200 units. I would guess the real count is near 100. Most of them you never hear about because they are ordered to spec for a specific buyer and they were never on the mkt and probably won't be anytime soon.

The real question is how many cars are converted to cars without the sub? I know of at least 3 on this board, including myself.

BlackICE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here are the members from this boards registry with US spec'd cars and no Mac: ENZO BTR, Easy Eric, pl510, neilhellr, AMB, PMC, red gt 1442.

My mid-May delivery of an '06 Tungsten will also be sans Mac.

Is it possible to order a car with painted racing stripes, but with the body side stripe delete?

This is possible but probably not a common order.

I think Jay's logic is spot on. Only a relatively small percentage of cars are customer ordered. Of these customer ordered car the vast majority likely have the MAC and are ordered primarily on color/stipe options. Of the dealer-ordered cars, most are pretty heavy spec'd cars to add to the ol' profit margin.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
BlackICE said:
The real question is how many cars are converted to cars without the sub? I know of at least 3 on this board, including myself.

BlackICE

I know of 3 also, including yours. Probably the same 3.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Mac Delete

I just saw a 06 Heritage GT here in San Diego, Ca. w/o the Mac upgrade. He ordered it that way from Drew Ford. I found my GT w/o the Mac upgrade on the E-Bay website, at Gosch Ford, Hemet,Ca.

AMB

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Side stripe delete

White Petunia said:
Is it possible to order a car with painted racing stripes, but with the body side stripe delete? That combo might be pretty rare.
No, all cars with painted racing stripes have side stripes. The side stripes however are not painted on, they are tape and can be removed in 10 minutes with a hair dryer.

Chip

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
No Mac for me, anticipating a mid- to late-June delivery. No stripes either, a plain Jane.

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I ordered mine without a Mac.

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
I ordered mine without the Mac mainly because of the placement of the sub, I know it sounds nuts, but I am always looking for more storage in this car and if it weren't for the pocket where the sub would have been, I'm not sure where I would put all of my stuff!

That said, I will comment that the standard radio is one of the worst factory radios I have encountered in recent years. I do not drive this car for the radio, but it would be nice to have a radio that sounds half as good as the radio in my F150. This is a $170k car...

But hey, I may be the only one that feels this way, I am thrilled with the extra storage!

-Neil
Heritage 0009

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
KJD said:
No Mac for me, anticipating a mid- to late-June delivery. No stripes either, a plain Jane.

You have the exact car I want! Nice job and post or PM some pics of it when you take delivery.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
White Petunia said:
Is it possible to order a car with painted racing stripes, but with the body side stripe delete? That combo might be pretty rare.

yes there is an option code for the racing stripes (thats costs money and you get them) and an option code for no side stripes (that is free but you do not get a credit)

My 2006 was ordered without the racing stripes and without the optional radio.

Why do most of the cars have the optional radio ? Simple: trace the money. Most cars were ordered by the dealer on spec and the dealer makes money on each option.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Mac delete

I guess I would have missed on this one..... :confused

I worked at Ford for over thirty years - most of that time in Audio Systems. While I was in Business Planning at Ford Audio, I worked on forecasting the option rates for the audio system options in all of the Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles. Twice a year we would get together and "vote" on option rates.

I would have forecast, based upon past experience, that the option rate for the McIntosh Audio System option on the GT would be close to 100%. Peoople who buy expensive cars usually buy them loaded - they don't look to save a few pennies on an option that costs less than 5% of the retail price of the vehicle.

I am surprised that so many of you want a GT WITHOUT the Mac option. I guess it does have two strikes against it - the additional weight (about 80 pounds), and the ugly sub that blocks the view of the engine. I am guessing that if the sub were not so obtrusive, there wouldn't be so many of you wanting to delete the Mac?

Anyway, here are the real numbers - for the 2005 model year, 97% of the GTs built had the McIntosh Stereo upgrade. They only built 58 cars without it.

The ratio of Retail to Stock orders is a lot different than most have guessed - the rate for Retail orders was 40%, and nearly 60% of the orders were for Dealer Stock.

regards,

Jeff

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good info Jeff. When I was at SSV last week they said the tick rate for the Mc option was still above 95%.

I think pretty much everyone who doesn't want the McIntosh doesn't want it simply because of the sub spacing. Space is at a premium already, and it blocks that beautiful engine view. I'd rather have a McIntosh stereo than whatever the standard one is now (nobody seemed to know when I told them to can the Mc from the order :lol), but not at the expense of the engine view.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Interesting information.

You are right. The price of the option is not so much the issue as is the fugly woofer. Just too intrusive. One of the few things on the car that should have been designed differently.