Anyone has problem filling up the gas tank?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I've had the nozzle get stuck as well. :willy

As had Massa ! :biggrin

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have gotten the nozzle all the way in only a few times but the rest of the times, no matter how hard I try, the nozzle won't go any further and would stop if I don't keep the nozzle at a certain angle with my hand. And I only use Chevron as I get it for free (company gas card). So please don't ask me the GT's gas mileage. :lol

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
"flow uninterrupted" - That starts to happen when you turn 50 Bruce

It is the putting it all the way in that I'm having problem Sam.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
A little bump for myself on this topic. Filled up the car for the first time myself this past weekend, and it was a struggle. Already stressing about trying not to break the dreaded fuel filler flap, I GENTLY inserted the nozzle to the hilt and squeezed the trigger......nothing. No resistance from the pump = no seal. Well, I looked around to make sure no one was staring at me as I struggled to get the damn pump to start dispensing gas. Tried different angles and finally found that I had to pull the nozzle out about 1/2 way and depress the trigger no more than 3/4 or the pump would shut off again. Doing it this way, there is no auto shut off, so I had to guess when the tank was full based on the last gauge reading and the capacity. Ok....pain in the ass, but at least I knew how to do it now....

Until I had to fill up a second time. Different pump, different station. I tried EVERYTHING and could not get the pump to start. Had a father and son come up to chat about the car and felt badly that I kinda brushed them off because I was getting REALLY pissed off and embarrassed that I couldn't get gas in the tank. After about 5 minutes of rotating, tilting, inserting, removing the nozzle with not a drop of fuel to show for it, I gave up. Fortunately, I had enough to get home.

Now I'm apprehensive about going to get gas again. Is this a fuel filler flap problem? I don't think so because when the gas gets flowing, it doesn't trickle; it flows normally. It's just getting that initial seal that seems to be the problem.

Now I do live in California and we do have those evap skirts on the pump nozzles, so I don't know if these played a part in my issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Usually you can hold back the bellows on the nozzle and the gas will flow without a seal. Ihat's what I do to fill up gas cans. You have to be careful because it will not automatically turn off.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Usually you can hold back the bellows on the nozzle and the gas will flow without a seal. Ihat's what I do to fill up gas cans. You have to be careful because it will not automatically turn off.

So is the problem I'm describing a problem with that stupid evap skirt? Do you have to do this? While gas flow is better than no flow, I also don't want a ton of 91 unleaded draining out the overfill hole and along the fender:eek.
Is there any way to get a seal and allow the pump to shut off itself?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
You could move out of CA and you won't have these problems!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You could move out of CA and you won't have these problems!

Don't think I haven't thought about it! But I just moved to the 'welfare-state' a year ago. If I uproot again, my wife will divorce me:facepalm:

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Just a thought, but the filler tube is quite small, and if the pump flow is too fast for the capacity of the inlet tube,, then you will have problems..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You might already have the infamous flapper problem. Slide sideways the first door on the filler. Then you should still see that the opening is closed. If not the flapper is broken. If so, push the center of opening the flapper should move down and when you let go move back up to seal the opening.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just a thought, but the filler tube is quite small, and if the pump flow is too fast for the capacity of the inlet tube,, then you will have problems..

Thank for the input but that wouldn't explain the situation when the pump wouldn't start at all.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You might already have the infamous flapper problem. Slide sideways the first door on the filler. Then you should still see that the opening is closed. If not the flapper is broken. If so, push the center of opening the flapper should move down and when you let go move back up to seal the opening.

Well now I had to go run into the garage and double check. Fortunately, the flap and the sliding black door are intact.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Don't think I haven't thought about it! But I just moved to the 'welfare-state' a year ago. If I uproot again, my wife will divorce me:facepalm:

Your timing is impeccable! Just in time for CA's new tax rates that are retroactive to Jan. 1st 2012.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would go to a another station....

I have tried nozzle on both coasts with different evap robber boots; many times the pump or machine is at fault

I do the pull the rubber nozzle skirt back, let nozzle tip push spring loaded cover aside and let metal nozzle insert

Every station is different and have found Shell to be better, and chevron to have huge rubber boots...

Yet last sunday, I filled up at a Shell in OC and metal nozzle made a chafing sound against plastic spring loaded cover; I filled up a few gallons and left, not risking a re-insert or a top off with spill down drain hose.

Helps alot at half-trigger too

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
Filled up many times with no problems. I do not insert all the way. Ha ha. Seems to work fine. Never an issue

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Filled up many times with no problems. I do not insert all the way. Ha ha. Seems to work fine. Never an issue
Your not in CA, with their crappy pump nozzles.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Until I underwent proton radiation for prostate cancer, I always liked "full insertion" the best - :lol

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Whats the rubber flapper you mention.. I have seen something like a rubber plate arrangement that goes over the whole filler,, any pics please.. We have nothing like that in Australia,, just let the fumes go into our air.. Cheers

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It's an accordian bellows that is supposed to compress and form a tight seal over the fuel filler. Like many CARB mandated devices, it doesn't work worth a damn.

If you google, you'll find many links of complaints that they don't fit various vehicles.

Some people call them fuel filler foreskins. :lol

gas-nozzle.jpg

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
These dispensing nozzles are a big problem in the motorcycle world as well. There is an easy solution available and it works great:

http://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html

I have one but seldom need it in Texas....yet. Wife keeps one in her Harley saddle bag too.