Anyone has problem filling up the gas tank?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
When I gas up I always have to hold the nozzle as vertical as possible for the gas to flow uninterrupted, and if I let go of the nozzle and the weight of the hose would tilt the tip of the nozzle more horizontal and gas would shut off. Does anyone has the same problem? I really would want to take the car in and have it pull apart just for this if I can fix it myself.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I believe it may depend on the type of nozzle. I've never had to do it in Michigan, but I noticed the states like California with the evap cover on the hose have caused the problem for me. You could be stuck with it. I hear the same thing happens with the Gallardo.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Bruce,

I live in California (Santa Barbara area) and have not run into this problem at all. Has it happened at more than one station? Always the same brand of fuel?

Richard Hille
The GT School

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Same exact issue over here Bruce

H

HHGT

When I gas up I always have to hold the nozzle as vertical as possible for the gas to flow uninterrupted, and if I let go of the nozzle and the weight of the hose would tilt the tip of the nozzle more horizontal and gas would shut off. Does anyone has the same problem? I really would want to take the car in and have it pull apart just for this if I can fix it myself.

"flow uninterrupted" - That starts to happen when you turn 50 Bruce

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
I have no issues and am in CA! :thumbsup

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Drives me nuts! I spend the entire time trying get the nozzle angle right to stop the auto shutoff constantly going off.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Same here too - there's a perfect angle, but it's like trying to split the atom to get it right.

Quite often I'll end up with 2/3rd's of a fill too - thinking I've topped it.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
maybe you guys have the filler tube / flappe valve issue??????

Mine fuels like a champ and not fussy at all

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
happens here in Texas too.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
What you guys are doing wrong is not getting the nozzle all the way down in the gas inlet. If I don't get it all the way in, it keep shutting off. If you slightly turn it, it will usually go in further and you should not have the shut-off issue.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I was going to post a serious comment about how my nozzle got stuck and I couldn’t get it out, but I’m sure the double entendre would be too much for this crew and the thread would deteriorate beyond all usefulness. :frown

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think it is all in the technique. I have no issues, even with the system we have in many counties her in Kal-fool-nia. One has to be gentle, move slowly in a relaxed fashion.
Perhaps some of us senior members could conduct a seminar at Rally IV and counsel members who have problems. Sort of an old bull helping the younger bulls out. We could also have a private section of the forum started so that only owners can see the members with issues and offer anonymity avoiding any public embar-ass-ment

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
maybe you guys have the filler tube / flappe valve issue??????

Mine fuels like a champ and not fussy at all

I had that problem fixed. Certainly it fuels better but I still have issues occasionally.

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
What you guys are doing wrong is not getting the nozzle all the way down in the gas inlet. If I don't get it all the way in, it keep shutting off. If you slightly turn it, it will usually go in further and you should not have the shut-off issue.

+1 this is what i do and it works fine. When i first got my GT i had the issue though

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS

I got it right once like that, but have never been able to get it right since. I am starting to think it was a fluke or the particular gas pump I was using.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was going to post a serious comment about how my nozzle got stuck and I couldn’t get it out, but I’m sure the double entendre would be too much for this crew and the thread would deteriorate beyond all usefulness. :frown

The above is precisely what I figgered would surely happen after Shelby's post below!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I've had the nozzle get stuck as well. :willy

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas