Anyone had the Stillen upgraded AP clutch fitted?

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Guys,

My car is at Roush at the minute waiting for a Stillen clutch to arrive.

Has anyone had it fitted and what are the experiences of it in comparison to the standard clutch unit??

Thanks!

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
I have had mine for almost a year. It has a very positive engagement as compared to the stock Ford part. Slightly grabby, but still allows for a very smooth engagement. Pedal travel to the point of engagement is slightly reduced from stock as well.

Works great, love it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here is a post by Shadowman (done sometime back). If HE'S impressed with it, us "commoners" should be! :lol

'Whole post is quoted...the latter part dealing specifically with your question...:cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So the question inevitably always comes up; what to tweak and what best to leave along.

First of all I am a supporter of twisting and tweaking; I always have been and always will be however over the years I have learned to do a risk assessment when considering those items being considered for tweaking.

Now let me share briefly that IMO there were and remain several reasons that I am not a supporter of or better put one to encourage a person to swap a harmonic balancer on these gals unless the gal’s heart is pulled and then having any alternate considered ass a component of the total rotating assembly; particularly when being balanced. I say this for two reasons;

1. Because there is IMO an extreme risk that someone will attempt to remove the OEM balancer and at some point it will become jammed and it will not be able to be removed or put back into place “without” removing the gal’s heart. Should this happen for most it would be emotionally devastating and I can share from personal experience that they do not all slide off easy and then add to this there is “no” extra room to use alternate tools such as an impact with the gal’s heart in place.

2. The harmonic balance much like the rods, pistons, etc is considered a fix in place component with no expected service required as such they are often times balanced as part of the total rotating assembly as such changing one; even in the case of a fluid dampener can cause harmonic distortion/a frequency change. Keep in mind that the crank appears to most as a solid object however when being operated it is ever twisting like a rubber band.

Now having said this flywheels and clutches are also balanced as a standalone assembly because it is expected that this component will be service and often times replaced as such the ability to do so without disrupting the balance of the primary assembly is taken into consideration. Then add to this IMO there is no associated risk when deciding to install a clutch; meaning one knows in advanced that the transaxle will be removed and a component of the process.

With regards to the OEM clutch and whether there is a need for an alternate. Most would agree either because of personal experience or that as shared by another that the OEM clutch is butter smooth with an easy pedal that is extremely “unforgiving”. Meaning should you slip the clutch excessively, inadvertently take off in third gear or simply want to exercise her in a spirited manner and during an aggressive shift fail to have it “fully” engaged the likelihood of needing a new clutch is high. Many in fact have thought they were completing an extreme burnout only to quickly smell thus realize that they just purchased a new clutch.

It is because of this and that which Stillen recognized early on with their Ford GT race car that that an alternate clutch assembly was created and brought to market by Stillen. I have installed “many” of the wonderful Stillen performance clutch offerings as created for them by AP Racing. The performance clutch offers a more aggressive engagement bite, a shorter travel is required, and it is much more forgiving should you slip it too much. All of this was accomplished while not IMO increasing the transaxle roll over noise as well as retaining an OEM feeling pedal pressure with the from a standing start engagement being albeit crisper still easy to use during a stop and go traffic scenario.

All of this brings me to Alex’s clutch consideration.

Alex presented to me the idea of his new clutch assembly and asked my opinion to which I shared that I feel that it could be a great item and I say this because every day the performance envelope is being pushed harder and harder and I think that using a clean sheet to create a purpose built clutch assembly would be well received and in fact is IMO already needed by many.

I like the fact that it is lighter, it is a triple disk setup, and that the pedal travel will be less. Yes we chatted about the clutch pedal travel too and Alex made clear that the system will likely use a clutch stop so that even though the pedal movement would be less the sensation for the operator would still be to the floor or released. BTW a n adjustable clutch stop is a common item and used by many as the means to fine tune the clutch operation and being adjustable allows for creating the perfect individual operation not unlike adjusting your steering wheel, seat belt, and seat position to best fit you and your driving style.

As a lighter triple disk setup it was agreed that the transaxle roll over noise will likely be increased however IMO this should be to an objectionable level and for most simply becomes another component of her character. FYI the roll over noise is only there when the clutch disengaged which for most of us would be seldom because you do not sit at the stoplight with your foot depressing the clutch; do you?

So in the end how do I truly feel about alternate clutch offerings when compared to the OEM assembly? Well, I have never installed a new OEM replacement clutch however I have installed well over a dozen of the Stillen performance clutches and both the end user and myself have enjoyed the results every time however in sharing this as much as I feel that the Stillen clutch is an extreme upgrade to the OEM clutch that which Alex looks to present is IMO truly an “extreme” offering.

Alex’s clutch would be a clutch that IMO completes the power train with regards to the gal’s having as OEM an extreme heart, and extreme transaxle, with Alex’s clutch assembly being the extreme component that makes the power train one.

Is this item for everyone; no as I feel that most will do very well for a very long time with the performance clutch as created and presented by Stillen however IMO this is the clutch for those that truly exercise their gals and have and continue to push the proverbial performance envelope.

Thank you Alex for considering such an undertaking as I have no doubt that the time spent assessing all of the options and working with the team at Tilton has been extreme particularly when I consider your wonderful Penske suspension packages and that in the end you will only present a “stellar” option befitting of these gals.

Takes care

Shadowman"

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have had mine for almost a year. It has a very positive engagement as compared to the stock Ford part. Slightly grabby, but still allows for a very smooth engagement. Pedal travel to the point of engagement is slightly reduced from stock as well.

Works great, love it.

X 2. I've had it in for something like 6,000 miles. Very nice.

Aug 25, 2006
It is IMO a wonderful product

Thank you "Empty Pockets"

All the best

Shadowman

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
In my red car I installed my spare transaxle fitted with Stillen clutch and gears and couldn't be happier. The clutch has as others stated better positive engagement, less pedal travel to engage/disengage than the OEM unit. I will change my white car over as soon as she needs it if not before.

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
I have been running it as well in my '05, much better than stock!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Works great, love it.

What he said.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
My GT has the Stillen clutch in since January, 2009. 20k +.

It's all good, as had been already posted. No down side.

Very postive, same pedal pressure and less total travel.

Need I say, I like it very much.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Stillen AP clutch

I love my Stillen AP clutch. Better than OEM. Smooth & ready for more hp!

Ed

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Thanks guys! Should be a nice upgrade to help cope with all the extra power!

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Best aftermarket clutch I've ever used.

Hoping it can hold up to the abuse as I really dont want to change.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Thank you for all of the positive feedback guys! We are very happy with the performance of this clutch as well as the great feedback we have received on it.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
The way I reamber the stock clutch tuning at SVT.

AP is the Tier 2 supplier that sells the Factory unit to Ricardo (the gear box and clutch tier 1).

And there was a decision to compromise toward soft smooth engagement.
To match the rest of the cars controls

My guess is the AP aftermarket parts. May be quite similar to the tuning parts
AP supplied to SVT for development.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Well, did a 100 miles yesterday on the "new" AP clutch - some backroads, some traffic - some full bore getaways!

What can I say - Stillen have engineered a fantastic upgrade here! In my opinion it is far superior to the stock item. It is more progressive and allows you to feed in the power in a more controlled manner.

A recommended product for your GT.