Any new 08-09 Shelby GT-500KR's left out there?

John Weires

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2009
First of all I have never purchased a Mustang before or even been a fan until recently. Then I bought a Ford GT and started to wake up to all the cool things Ford is doing. Now I am interested in a Shelby GT-500KR.

I see that a number of people on the forum have gotten great buys on some new left over 08-09 GT-500KR's still on dealership lots. Does anybody know if there are any left and if so where? I had no luck with internet searches at Cars.com etc. I hear there is a $7500 rebate Ford is offering rather quietly to the dealers. I may be interested in one if the price is right. Talk on the forum sounds like mid 50's is possible. Is this price in fact realistic?

Also any input on which year to chose or other issues like spare parts cost and availability through Shelby that can be provided would be very helpful.

I started off looking at the 2010 Shelby GT-500 model at the local dealer and then saw the press release on the aluminum block 2011 which I would wait for if I chose this over a KR. It won't be driven much, just on nice days cruising around, no tracking. I would likely have it several years or more, maybe keeping it longer term as a collectible. So 08-09 KR or 2011 is the question.

Thanks in advance.

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas

John Weires

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks....

Thanks for the heads up...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There's a new one right down the street from me. Let me know if you want me to go check on it. Black/black.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Have a look over at the Team Shelby forum...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/forum/90-2008-2009-shelby-gt500kr/

There are a couple of threads about finding cars available and one or two guys (salesmen maybe?) helping locate cars.

or on e-bay...

http://motors.desc.shop.ebay.com/i....Cars_Trucks&_odkw=GT500KR&_osacat=6001&_rdc=1

Last edited:

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I was following the KRs since early '08. I love the car.

I finally bought mine this past October. A 2009 Torch Red KR for $61K. I felt it was a reasonable price and $10K above a standard GT500.

The KR was star crossed at the start except for the initial batch fetching six figures but then the economy tanked and production was slow making most late to dealers and now competing against new 2010's in a bad economy.

Alot of people thought the initial buy in price was steep at $83K MSRP. It was. Some questioned whetther the Supersnake was a better buy for the money in view of the fact it offered more power and more eye candy for the same or a little more money. The SS is a POST title conversion though.

Fact is I was thinking of the Supersnake but decided on the KR. I think the fact that the KR is PRE title Mustang and the first joint venture Mustang between Shelby and Ford since 1967 (except for the Mustang SGT) sold as a new car off of dealer floors made it more special (at least to me and I thought for collectibity). Ford to a large extent controlled what SAI could and could not do with the KR as it had to meet all DOT standards and Ford's quaility control standards. The SS hood is fiberglass and IMHO not as nice as the KR hood.

The cost for the KR was in large part a function of the cost of all the testing to make various parts pass DOT safety standards, most notably the carbon fiber hood which is very expensive in and of itself but when you are only makeing 1600 of them (instead of 7000 of them) the cost matrix jumps exponentially. Remember this car is a pre title production car not a post title conversion.

Truth be told the KR is actually faster then the SS 0-60 and I believe faster in the 1/4 mile from the posts I've read on the Team Shelby forum. The KR is actually under rated by Shelby and Ford in terms of power. Shelby and Ford rate it at 540hp. It actually dynos stock at the rear wheels around 510hp making crank hp about 590hp. With 3.73 gears it will definitely snap your neck back. While the SS has more brute hp it has a hard time hooking up and just melts its tires while the KR is hooking up and gone. But the real charm of the KR is its handling it is a very balanced car and SVT/FRPP did a great job with the suspension while retaining ride comfort. It handles the way a GT500 should handle. Very neutral without understeer and hooks up coming out the turns. Its skid pad numbers have been reported at 1g. Some SS guys actually complain their Eibach suspension is too stiff for the street.

They only made 1600 KRs. Thats less then 1/2 the number of FGTs.

I don't know if they will be collectible in the future. I think so but who knows in todays world. I didn't buy it for that. I bought it becasue it is the first Pre title Mustang Muscley car from Shelby and Ford since 1967 and 1968 and there is only 1600 of them.

You can buy '08 in the mid to upper $50Ks and '09s for low $60ks.

'08 is the anniversary year with 1000 produced.

'09 only 571 were produced.

I chose Red because only 220 were made in Red plus it matches the FGT. Vista Blue is the least produced color with 190 made. Black 500. Silver the rest.

The suspension and KR specific parts cannot be purchased by anyone unless you already have a KR and need a replacement. You must return the damaged part. Example, you can't buy KR 18" alcoa wheels without returning the damaged wheel(s). Same goes for the hood etc...

I don't think either year has a real advantage over the other. It is a really cool car and exhaust note is worth the price of admission.

Don't know how many are left on dealer lots but my thought is once they are gone from the dealers the prices will go up.

In choosing between a new 2011 and a KR? I would still choose the KR. Auto makers are constantly improving the breed and performance. The new aluminum block is really nice and they will make approximately 7000 GT500 in 2011 alone with aluminum blocks and at least that many each year thereafter but....there are only 1600 KRs.

Hope this helps.

P.S. if you buy a KR with a production date prior to August 2008 make sure the dealer addresses the clutch TSB issue. Search the Team Shelby forum for more info. Good luck.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Now that was a hell of a good post!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Totally agreed.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
New 2009 KR

If anyone is interested there is a new 2009 KR, black with black stripe, nav. etc. at Walker Ford in Clearwater, FL. List is $82,000, and I think they are looking for $68,000. I know Dorian Ford in Michigan just sold a Vista Blue one for $65,000, but I don't know what the list was on it. $68,000 seems still a little high based on what I've heard 09's going for, but I thought I would throw it out there.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
That does seem a bit steep these days. Here in SoCal I know of a fella that two months ago purchased a brand spanking new 09 KR for $60,000 from a Ford Dealer in Monrovia.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I've got to say that I believe I scored the deal of the century having purchased a 2009 KR, black/black for half of the MSRP brand new last November from a dealer in Milwaukee. I'm glad I pulled the trigger! It's a great car.

drof gt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 10, 2006
Los Angeles
There's one at star ford in so cal. '09 sliver/blue

robt777

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 28, 2010
Florida & Ohio
I bought a black / black 2008 KR and would be embarassed to tell you how much I paid. Costs extra to be the first on the block. Other than the price, I love the car.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
i've got to say that i believe i scored the deal of the century having purchased a 2009 kr, black/black for half of the msrp brand new last november from a dealer in milwaukee.

half? :eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
If anyone is interested there is a new 2009 KR, black with black stripe, nav. etc. at Walker Ford in Clearwater, FL. List is $82,000, and I think they are looking for $68,000. I know Dorian Ford in Michigan just sold a Vista Blue one for $65,000, but I don't know what the list was on it. $68,000 seems still a little high based on what I've heard 09's going for, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I have never been able to cut a deal with Walker Ford.

Slow Poke

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
there is a new black on black one at Serramonte Ford in the Bay Area. As I recall, the price is in the 60s.