an odd situation at Starbucks

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Texas does allow force to be used to protect one's property. Pouring coffee on my GT would likely end up very badly for both of us. Him physically and me with large legal bills.

Fortunately, I have not had such occurrences with the GT. Much to the contrary most folks seem to be much more thoughtful around it than other cars I have owned. Except for one wife of a car show sponsor that thought it fine to sit in my car with her beer.... I offered to hold her beer and assist her in getting out. She thought I was being kind until she was out and I deposited her beer in an adjacent trash receptacle and stated that she had obviously had too much already if she thought her behavior was acceptable. She stormed off in a huff. I did not win a trophy for that show even though I was in a class of one.....

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Had my NSX at a local car show a couple of years ago, took my usual stroll around to see some of the other cars, came back to find a woman sitting in my front seat. I said "excuse me, but this isn't your car", her response was, "Oh, what are they here for, if not for others to enjoy". I told her that she'd better exit now. I have no problem whatsoever, letting kids sit in the GT or NSX, I'll take their pictures for them, etc. They don't even have to ask, if they're admiring the car, and "respecting it", I offer. But..............people leaning on the car, leaning over it (with belt buckles exposed), otherwise "disrespecting" someone else's property, that I won't tolerate. If I'm taking a stroll, and look back and see someone getting too "involved" with the car, I double hit the lock button, make the horn "honk" and watch them leap back in fear!!!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
This thread reminds me why my cars get driven at 6am on the weekends when roads are empty and the masses are sleeping off the night before. Cars & Coffee is as close to a car show as I will ever get. Too many jackwagons in the world to risk it. That and I prefer stress free enjoyment with my cars.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
I was at a small little car show at starbucks in one of my old muscle cars. I had noticed that there was a GT there (black silver stripe). I talked to the owner, and he said he bought it 3 weeks ago with around 2k miles. Now on to the story. A man parked next to the car, almost dinged the door getting out. We ask him to be careful, and he begins to become angry. He walks into the starbucks and we all go back to ours business. But here is the kicker, as he walks out of the Starbucks to his car, he pours coffee all over the GT! May have been one of the oddest/disrespectful things i have ever seen.

-Hunter

Assuming you got his plate number, find one of Houston's many junkyard lawyers and have some serious fkn fun. I would gladly pay my share for the entertainment factor and satisfaction of teaching the idiot a lesson. I am sure other Texas owners would gladly chip in.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I go to a lot of car shows, of course I live in a rural area, and have only had a couple of “touching the car” incidents. We never leave the cars unattended, if I am going to a show to look at cars I do not take mine. As far as the coffee incident I would be so dumbfound I do not know what I would due. At minimum I would have to get his plate number and find out where he lived , he probably his favorite beer cooling frig on his front porch that could be vandalized. Got to get these type of people where it hurts. Going to get worse, great thought fecarman, “Jealousy is a horrible disease” and our present government is promoting/teaching take from the haves and give to the have knots. As a last resort I am glad Indiana allows us to have personal protection carry permits.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I believe in FL, you could shoot someone for that too!

I believe in California, they'd elect him or her Governor or at least Mayor.:bored

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
If you have beautiful cars, houses or women you will attract jealousy

My policy is always to walk away.

We are all very, very successful and the liability of any interaction is a lose-lose for us.

Living well is the best revenge; having a blue-chip Beverly Hills Defense Attorney is a close second.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
This whole thread of experiences makes me sick. I just never can understand why people feel its ok to damage or use or do anything to someone elses property.

I had a 2008 911 turbo. Nice car but not over the top. I parked it at a local mall for 10 minutes away from everything else. In and out right.... Wrong. I come back and there is mucus filled spit on my front windshield with my side mirror removed... yes removed and a note that said "you have so much I figured you could afford to replace your mirror. You probably took it from people like me anyway"

I freaked as you can imagine. Took it to mall security which of course have cameras and of course they didn't help me. Took it to police and of course no help with a ton of runaround.

Bottom line, it cost me around 600 to fix and I am still pissed about it. It drives me nuts when people are like this.

Where I am from you dont touch another man's woman, food or car unless you have a death wish.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
This whole thread of experiences makes me sick. I just never can understand why people feel its ok to damage or use or do anything to someone elses property.

I had a 2008 911 turbo. Nice car but not over the top. I parked it at a local mall for 10 minutes away from everything else. In and out right.... Wrong. I come back and there is mucus filled spit on my front windshield with my side mirror removed... yes removed and a note that said "you have so much I figured you could afford to replace your mirror. You probably took it from people like me anyway"

I freaked as you can imagine. Took it to mall security which of course have cameras and of course they didn't help me. Took it to police and of course no help with a ton of runaround.

Bottom line, it cost me around 600 to fix and I am still pissed about it. It drives me nuts when people are like this.

Where I am from you dont touch another man's woman, food or car unless you have a death wish.

Agreed, but not surprising. It's a pathetic world of entitlement and unaccountability. I had my M5 vandalized not once, but twice in the same parking garage (one of the 10 million reasons I will never do condo/community living again). Posted it here somewhere before, but my 07 911 turbo was vandalized at, of all places, Cars and Coffee in Irvine. Nowhere is safe.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I believe today's society has 'devolved' to the point where internally mounted GoPros (multiple) ought to be the 1st "mod" any high dollar car receives. Activate 'em when leaving the car unattended for more than 3 seconds. ('EXTERNALLY' mounted 'Pros would be completely useless...for what should obvious reasons.)

The covert cameras I installed at an unattended 24 hr car wash I used to own nailed several thieves/vandals over the years. They were mucho surprised when the 'cops' came a-knocking, I can tell you that. ('Famous last words of one of them just before he was arrested: "I didn't see no cameras.")

'Scumbags all...

(Edit: Well...actually what he said was he hadn't seen any "expletive" cameras.)

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You guys have some bad juju. Go to church more often :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe today's society has 'devolved' to the point where internally mounted GoPros (multiple) ought to be the 1st "mod" any high dollar car receives. Activate 'em when leaving the car unattended for more than 3 seconds. ('EXTERNALLY' mounted 'Pros would be completely useless...for what should obvious reasons.)

The covert cameras I installed at an unattended 24 hr car wash I used to own nailed several thieves/vandals over the years. They were mucho surprised when the 'cops' came a-knocking, I can tell you that. ('Famous last words of one of them just before he was arrested: "I didn't see no cameras.")

'Scumbags all...

(Edit: Well...actually what he said was he hadn't seen any "expletive" cameras.)

Do you really think that would be effective?

In CA the police, courts, DA's and public defenders offices and jails are all overwhelmed. My guess is, even when presented with video evidence, the police and DA will choose not to pursue the case and refer you to civil court if you would like to pursue it on your own. Of course the civil courts are also backlogged, and the dirtbag probably doesn't have any assets to pay a judgment anyway.

I think EP's idea of leaving the car in your garage is the only safe course of action.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, I'll be darned - you've finally seen the light!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Well, I'll be darned - you've finally seen the light!
Wisdom comes with age.

nj1001

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2012
i just bought this damn thing! you guys are making me pretty nervous.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
We all need to be nervous, protective, careful, and always attentive around our GT's. You never know what might happen at any time. My 2 cents. When driving, or showing mine I am always mindful of whats going on around me!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Haters gonna hate. Gotta shake the haters off....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

'Scumbags all...

In California, the law officers would look at it, say they are very sorry, and tell you to contact your insurance company. They do the same with burglaries. They are not interested unless they can (a) gain revenue for the state, county or city, or (2) are afraid that the press will get involved and crucify them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yeeeeeeup, I hear ya, Ralphie. But, those SAME LEOs (AND our so-called "JUSTICE SYSTEM") will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who 'deals' with these perps on his own, on the spot, won't they.

Proving once again we have a "legal system"...NOT a "justice system". Perps have more "rights" to due process than WE do.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yeeeeeeup, I hear ya, Ralphie. But, those SAME LEOs (AND our so-called "JUSTICE SYSTEM") will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who 'deals' with these perps on his own, on the spot, won't they.

Proving once again we have a "legal system"...NOT a "justice system". Perps have more "rights" to due process than WE do.
:agree: Just like punishing those that work and rewarding those that don't. Something not right. :confused