An Image from the Past - When the FGT 06 Had Not Been Seen by Many People

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Dapper Mid Night Blu, showing off his Gulf GT in Santa Barbara to the Press, at the Fess Parker Resort Lunch, Sunday August 27, 2006. Santa Barbara County News ran the story of the gathering of New Ford GTs that following Monday AM.

As I remember SteveA picked up a sidewall nail that wasn't leaking any significant air and made it back home, before he left Calif for Northern Idaho. I believe he did have to buy a new tire! :thumbsup

Mid-Night%20Blu%20Santa%20Barbara_zpsghgrirpz.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Cool!

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Hey Eric, A blast from the past. 12 years of FGT fun. All the toys are safe and sound and also used........Good hearing from you. Life is good......GO BLU

Attachments

• CIMG0380.jpg
    CIMG0380.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 195

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
All the best George...!
Margaret and Megan and Ryan say hello...

andy (ajb)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
He is alive.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I remember that drive - those dogs.... and of course my friend George!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I recall that day (and nail :bored ), great people and cars! I do miss those outings!! Thanks for posting Doc.:thumbsup

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I have a lot of pics of that day. Maybe I'll post them. It was a thrill to have so many GTs in one spot. Traveling to Sun Valley for skiing, but will find time to post later. I also have an excellent one of MidNight Blu and his driver side window somewhere around Lake Henshaw. But I promised him I would never post it. :)

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brings back memories,, of my 1st Rally.. !!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe the caption in the article implies the Gulf Colored GT won in 1966. In fact it was a black Ford GT driven by Bruce McClaren and Chris Amon. Gulf won 67,68,69 manage by John Weir? Correct?

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I believe the caption in the article implies the Gulf Colored GT won in 1966. In fact it was a black Ford GT driven by Bruce McClaren and Chris Amen. Gulf won 67,68,69 manage by John Weir? Correct?

Gulf won 68 and 69. Red number 1 car by A. J. Foyt and Dan Gurney won in 67

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I believe the caption in the article implies the Gulf Colored GT won in 1966. In fact it was a black Ford GT driven by Bruce McClaren and Chris Amen. Gulf won 67,68,69 manage by John Weir? Correct?

A little history... cool stuff

Behind the wheel were luminary drivers of the era as Dan Gurney, A.J. Foyt, Jacky Ickx, Bruce McLaren, and Ken Miles. Here Chris Amon, who co-drove with Bruce McLaren, exits the winning 485hp, 427ci, V8-powered MK II for publicity shots after the race. The No. 1 GT40 driven by Ken Miles and Denny Hulme led the last few hours of the race. When it became apparent a 1-2-3 sweep was inevitable, Ford radioed a finishing order and requested the winning three tighten formation for the ultimate winners shot. Though Ford’s intent was for the Miles/Hulme car to be declared winner, and though it did cross the finish line first, race organizers Automobile Club de I’Ouest determined the McLaren/Amon car actually traveled slightly farther, having started farther back in the grid, and awarded the win to the No. 2 GT40.

Ford closed FAV after the 1966 season, and John Wyer and John Willment formed J.W. Automotive Engineering Ltd (JWA) to take over the Slough factory and continued to build production GT40s on Ford's behalf. As Wyer was the well known team manager and present at race tracks, it was assumed that JW stands for John Wyer even though it is for John Willment, as stated by Willment's brother-in-law Hans Herrmann.[3]

With backing from Gulf Oil and their team manager J-O Bockman, Wyer created the Ford-powered Mirage M-1, a prototype that won the 1967 1000 km Spa. Due to a rule change that came in effect for 1968, prototypes were limited to 3,000 cc, while sportscars could have 5,000 cc if at least 50 were built. This applied to the two-year-old Ford GT40s, which were modified by Wyer. As a surprise, Wyer won the World Sportscar Championship for Ford in 1968 even though the 2,200 cc Porsche 907 were considered favourites at the beginning of the season. The superior power of the 302 cubic inch (4,942 cc) V8 in the GT40s allowed them to win on fast tracks, and especially at Le Mans two years in a row in 1968 (Pedro Rodríguez and Lucien Bianchi) and 1969 (Jacky Ickx and Jackie Oliver), even though they were outclassed at twistier tracks.

When it became apparent the GT40 would become obsolete after 1969, Wyer switched to the new Porsche 917. Wyers' team became the factory's main partner and was a major factor in developing the wedge-shaped Kurzheck tail of the 1970 917K which made the car much more stable than the original 1969 version.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Thanks Eric..Hi George. Garage looks fast.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Iconic GT thanks for the corrections and the insight. I new McLaren and Amon were given the win for the longer distance, but after 13 years forgot the details.