Aircraft Engine Failure.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Great ending and nice you were well ahead of the situation. Good thing the glide ratio was in your favor.

Flying is hours of boredom with the occasional seconds of sheer terror.

I know my seaplane drops like a brick and gliding in is probably not in the cards. I am always scanning for off runway sites hopefully I have some water around.

500hrs. Out of that engine is a major let down $$.
How much calender time since the rebuild? Are you going with the same shop for the new one?

Good for you being prepared and trained well!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
So glad to hear everything worked out for you and you son.

I’ve always thought that I’d like to get my pilot’s license and a plane one day however stories like this make me think I’ll continue with commercial flights. It’s hard to imagine how someone without your in-flight skill and knowledge of their aircraft could have had a successful outcome in a similar situation.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So glad to hear everything worked out for you and you son.

I’ve always thought that I’d like to get my pilot’s license and a plane one day however stories like this make me think I’ll continue with commercial flights. It’s hard to imagine how someone without your in-flight skill and knowledge of their aircraft could have had a successful outcome in a similar situation.

:agree:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea i had a great commercial flight the other day with someone suffering from alzheimers next to me, spilling drinks and food everywhere, so I moved to the rear of the plane and some lady blew chow inches from my head.

With the flu rampant now, good luck on those germ tubes.

I can accept and control the risk, I go private every chance I get. Planes glide well, even after the motor tanks.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
corporate jets ftw

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Anyone have views on the skill level/experience of pilots on "time share" corporate jet services like Net Jets?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Glad all worked out well for you Chip. That would be quite a loss. I hate to think of not getting to read more of your very enjoyable posts. I swear, you and Walter Mitty missed your calling.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Anyone have views on the skill level/experience of pilots on "time share" corporate jet services like Net Jets?

My father has had an annual flight contract with them for the last ~ 10 years and has had one incident with them and it was in a Lear. it was caught on the taxiway before we took off and we got switched out to a different Lear. i was with him. he flys with them once a month for the last 10 years. he has flown on mostly Citations and Hawkers but he has been on a few others with them like Lears and a Falcon or Gulfstream once. it depends on which contract you have with them. here is a pic of my Father and Brother next to the Lear Jet they flew into Mojave on for the Ford GT Speed day last year :cool

i have flown on a Lear and Cessna Citation X :biggrin

The Gulfstreams and the Falcon are the ultimate but Hawkers are baller too :thumbsup

150896_254149284683933_2141967390_n_zps4146112e.jpg

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Wow !! That's an incredible story, so glad to hear things turned out the way they did and you and Charlie are ok....

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Nice job, Chip. As one who has had a few interesting moments as well, I can appreciate the skill it took to get her on deck. I'm glad both you and Charlie are ok.

We are specifically prohibited from attempting landings with an inoperative engine. There's a lot of comfort to strapping yourself to a SJU-4/A.

Best Regards,
Waldo

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
wow! first of all glad everything worked out and you guys are ok, I always thought your story of flying to houston to buy your gt and chopping your head and hair on the gt door was a memorable one, but this one is definitely one for the books!

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Chip,

Glad it all worked out. That is one of the reasons I fly my Columbia 400 up in the low flight levels, typically 19,000 to 22,000 feet on my serious cross country flights. So far 12 coast to coast round trips with no problems. I am headed to Houston from Santa Ynez, CA next Saturday. I'll be back up at 21,000 again. I love having lots of air beneath my plane's belly, just in case. The only time that does not work is when you find yourself on fire.... I hope never to find out how that works out...

Richard Hille
The GT School

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Chip, glad everything worked out. I can relate (well, a little bit) as I am a student pilot right now. Have just under 25 hours and actually soloed this evening for the first time in my 182. Not much out there like flying your own plane. I will never have the level of flying experience that you have, but I am very excited about learning to fly and being my own pilot. :)

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
... actually soloed this evening for the first time in my 182.
Shelby, that's awesome. Congrats on your first solo! That's very exciting.

Not much out there like flying your own plane.
I agree!
mailt.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Show off! :lol. That is awesome.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Thank God you where able to get it done! Talk about high presher.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

:lol

Nobody will ever beat that for best toy.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Boats, cars, and now planes. Rick is right. You seem to have the opposite of the Midas touch when it comes to anything with an engine! I got chills reading this and am so happy to hear that you and Charley were able to land well. My first instinct - even with a round chute - would have been to jump out as long as you were higher than 1K ft and not over a large body of water... I've had to ditch 2 Twin Otters and a Casa after they flipped over on stalls and never felt fear or thought about what the pilot was experiencing as he tried to right the plane while losing altitude. If I ever have to land in a plane with a failed engine (or any other problem), there's no one I'd trust more than you to land it safely. Amazing ending!!! Charley is lucky to have had you as the pilot. Wow!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Finally making noise again!!!

Gentlemen,

After two months of delays I FINALLY received my new AEIO-540 Lycoming engine and it was installed two days ago. A sweet sound to hear it start up and run again. :biggrin :thumbsup The failed forged crankshaft from my old engine now sits in my home office and I'm making it into a very expensive table base. A new crankshaft for one of these 6 cylinder motors is $22,500.00. :facepalm: I've taken the occasion of my engine being down to make some other improvements to it and the airframe as well. I should make the first test flight this Tuesday. The new motor is beautiful and I hope it runs as good as it looks. My run of bad luck has got to be over. In the last 2 years I have blown up my GT motor twice, the motor in my Shelby GT, the 454 big block motor in my boat, and the motor in my airplane. I've never had an engine failure in anything in my life prior to all of these and then Bang, bang, bang.......over 100K in rebuilds. :confused

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to taking N335CB up on Tuesday. Cheers.

Chip

Attachments

• eng 1.jpg
    eng 1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 93
  • eng 2.jpg
    eng 2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 92
  • eng 3.jpg
    eng 3.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 92
  • eng 4.jpg