aftermarket gauge installation & illumination

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have a Whipple with the MAFIA and a useless OEM gauge. I refused to spend $2000 for a 30 Lb. Boost Gauge and have done without - until now! Please please please talk to the guys. and see if they will get one done for us Whipplers..

This is exactly my case.

I just watch it whiz right on by 15lbs.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The 4" speedo could easily be installed in an existing OEM panel using an flat adapter ring (kinda' like a large diameter washer). Painted or anodized black, it would hardly be noticeable as much of it would remain behind the bezel anyway.
Do you know if Speed Hut will be making a flat adapter ring? I just need to replace my speedometer (at least for now).

A 5" Speed Hut speedo version might be a possibilty as well, but I suspect it would depend on the demand.
I would buy one.

I just watch it whiz right on by 15lbs.
Yep. Me too.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
"mardyn" could you share why SH did not go with the 5" speedo and the flat bottom tach at the onset of the project ? I for one like to keep Kip Ewings' CF 2 piece dash plates in my car with the potential SH gauge install, even if mine are still intact (-oh boy I hope I didn't jinx myself-)

H

HHGT

"mardyn" could you share why SH did not go with the 5" speedo and the flat bottom tach at the onset of the project ? I for one like to keep Kip Ewings' CF 2 piece dash plates in my car with the potential SH gauge install, even if mine are still intact (-oh boy I hope I didn't jinx myself-)

My guess is tooling and one-off associated cost. A 4" housing could possibly be used on many other applications.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
My guess is tooling and one-off associated cost. A 4" housing could possibly be used on many other applications.

^^ this

More to come later... I'm neck deep in our home building project today.

btw... Speed Hut 30 psi boost gauge is in the initial phase of development.

Patience.

mardyn

H

HHGT

Patience.

mardyn

:banana:banana:banana

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
^^ this

More to come later... I'm neck deep in our home building project today.

Patience.

mardyn

Can they just start @ 40:) Just sayin! 30 aint going to be enough..........

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If the output of a 30 psig sending unit is the same as that on a 15, why would any electronics have to change? - just a different scale on the meter would be required.

Or don't I understand the problem?

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
How hard could it be to gut out the 4 in . Speed hut tach and swap the workings into the back of a gutted Ford tach? A leading question, since I haven't had the need yet to get the dash, but there's only 1 moving part essentially, right? I think the right electronics geek could add a pot or something to re-cal the needle swing. Then we'd have a reliable OEM looking tach.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Where is Kip Ewing ?

I suspect if SH can't/won't make a flat bottom tach bezel and a 5" diameter speedo, than will Kip make a CF panel to meet the new SH gauges shapes and diameters ?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Has anyone ordered or received their gauges yet? Any feedback?

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
My full set is to ship today according to Speedhut. 4 or 5 more days and Kendall can install.....Gas gauge died so I'll change out the whole set to save. Using the black frame with silver bezels.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Giddy- up! Looking forward to it!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I understand that they are trying to accommodate the
requests for the 30 psi boost gauge as well as a larger diameter speedometer.

All my Speed Hut stuff is still operating at 100% and I'm very pleased.

My next project is to do the gauge panel with (either) a carbon fiber overlay or hydro-dip/clear coat.

My house project is on the front burner right now though... the car has to wait.

mardyn

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
...as well as a larger diameter speedometer.
I'm ready to order one as soon as they're available.

Best Regards,
Waldo

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Just got a call from Speedhut, gauges should ship monday, coming with 41/2" speedometer. The 30 lb. boost gauge will use the original harness for power but will use their sender for boost reading. I was thinking about tapping the power brake vacuum hose for the sender since it is closer to the gauge. Running the wires from the engine would seem more of a problem. I used the brake vacuum on my Viper and never had a problem. Any ideas?

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
I want to order but waiting to see if they come up with original size speedo?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just got a call from Speedhut, gauges should ship monday, coming with 41/2" speedometer. The 30 lb. boost gauge will use the original harness for power but will use their sender for boost reading. I was thinking about tapping the power brake vacuum hose for the sender since it is closer to the gauge. Running the wires from the engine would seem more of a problem. I used the brake vacuum on my Viper and never had a problem. Any ideas?

Their sender is mechanical? (I may be reading that wrong)

Can't they use the factory lead and their sender together?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
The gauge is all electronic, they just can't use the stock sensor. You have to use their sensor. The problem is finding a convenient vacuum source and running the new harness to the dash. My thinking was the vacuum to the brakes was the most convenient.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
It's not as easy as just replacing the existing OEM sensor.

I believe the OEM signal from the PCM is maxxed out at around 15psi, hence the need
for another sensor. ( As I understand it, the OEM boost gauge reading is not actual manifold pressure, but a calculation
of boost/vacuum based on flow through the MAF sensor....[somebody correct me if I'm wrong here])

So, you're actually installing an additional sensor to monitor real time manifold pressure
and convert it to a signal that can be displayed by the 30 psi boost gauge on the dash panel..

If you've got the skills necessary to replace the gauge(s), certainly installing
an additional sensor would be a walk in the park. The idea of locating it near the booster
vacuum supply/close to the dash panel (maybe even on the back side of the dash panel) seems to make sense as well.

Although I have not seen one of the 30 psi boost gauges from Speed Hut yet, I believe it will simply
plug into the existing GT main dash harness just like the other gauges, but would require only one additional
wire connection directly from the new sensor to the gauge.

I hope some of y'all will post up some pics when you get 'em in hand.

Happy Thanksgiving!

mardyn