ma.
Any interest in a dual-needle oil temp / oil pressure guage
I like that idea

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've done numerous gauges (& boost controllers) that required their own vacuum source. We always get manifold vacuum at the engine and run the tubing under the center console to the dash. Typically the gauges/controllers will have a provision to run a very small diameter hard-plastic line the first couple of feet or so from the dash area to prevent any kinking that could occur when routing.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I like that idea

+2

We've done numerous gauges (& boost controllers) that required their own vacuum source. We always get manifold vacuum at the engine and run the tubing under the center console to the dash. Typically the gauges/controllers will have a provision to run a very small diameter hard-plastic line the first couple of feet or so from the dash area to prevent any kinking that could occur when routing.

So in this instance, it is a true mechanical reading?

Where, in your opinion, is the best place to get thru the firewall/bulkhead?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
So in this instance, it is a true mechanical reading?

Where, in your opinion, is the best place to get thru the firewall/bulkhead?

Most of the modern day vac/boost gauges are going to be comprised of a sending unit which connects to a vac/boost source and these sending units will typically reside in the engine compartment. The sending unit converts the vac/boost into a signal that is carried to the dashboard gauge using 3-4 small gauge wires. In this scenario, you would route these wires from the engine bay to the dash. A true mechaical gauge is going to require that you route a vac/boost source (via tubing) to the dash.

There is a large rubber boot where the shifter cables pass from under the console to the engine compartment. It is an easy place to route wires and/or small tubing.

H

HHGT

Most of the modern day vac/boost gauges are going to be comprised of a sending unit which connects to a vac/boost source and these sending units will typically reside in the engine compartment. The sending unit converts the vac/boost into a signal that is carried to the dashboard gauge using 3-4 small gauge wires. In this scenario, you would route these wires from the engine bay to the dash. A true mechaical gauge is going to require that you route a vac/boost source (via tubing) to the dash.

There is a large rubber boot where the shifter cables pass from under the console to the engine compartment. It is an easy place to route wires and/or small tubing.

About time you chimed in. I've been waiting for a Boost gauge for 2 years.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
About time you chimed in. I've been waiting for a Boost gauge for 2 years.

Where have you been, freeflyer has been making these for years, using a GM 3 Bar MAP sensor into a rebuilt OEM gauge shell with a custom innards.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Where have you been, freeflyer has been making these for years, using a GM 3 Bar MAP sensor into a rebuilt OEM gauge shell with a custom innards.

Are those the ones that cost more than the entire replacement set we are discussing here? :ack

H

HHGT

No thanks...For $2,000 I would rather go see a shrink and get my head reprogrammed to like BMWs and Apple products...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
No thanks...For $2,000 I would rather go see a shrink and get my head reprogrammed to like BMWs and Apple products...

I don't have one, but understand the pricing. Given the limited market for these and the cost of the OEM core not much profit for the time spent on design, manufacturing, marketing and sales. I doubt if either one of us would be interested in stating a business to sell these even at 3K.

I believe the price is less $500 if you have a core.

Freeflyer's boost gauge is well done and matches OEM perfectly. I do have freeflyer's a/f and voltage gauge. I felt that a/f is more important to insure my engine's health. For boost I installed a 5V regulator and 3 BAR MAP and ran the wires behind the drivers seat. That allow me to data log boost on SCT Livelink. Whenever the OEM boost gauge is pin I never look at it, have to pay attention to where the car is going. :biggrin

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just received my gauges. It will be a few weeks before they are in he car but I'm diggin the look.

gauge1.jpg
gauge2.jpg
gauge3.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So you got the 30lbs boost gauge and Ford Ovals in the face? I did not even know the oval was an option. Looks like you dropped voltage in favor of Air/fuel too?

smart.

Looks great. :thumbsup

I am going to move fuel to behind the wheel and get oil pressure out where I can see it better.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes, I dropped the voltmeter a long time ago. I like to see A/F. I would do a fuel pressure gauge too if I had electric pumps. The mechanical pump I have now is so much overkill that there is no way it will fall short. I like the racing stripes on the speedo but I might change the color from red to blue. The guys at speed hut made it sound like an easy/inexpensive change out. I think I'm going to cover the dash with CF.

It's good to change things up a little, every once in a while.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Are those the standard Bezels?

I like them, just want to know what they are referred to as?

I still like Kayvan's suggestion on the oil temp combined with pressure. If you need to run a new wire for the boost, what is another for temp?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes, that is their version of the stock bezel. It has a little more shine than the Ford stock bezel. I think they offer a black bezel too.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Are those the standard Bezels?

I like them, just want to know what they are referred to as?

I still like Kayvan's suggestion on the oil temp combined with pressure. If you need to run a new wire for the boost, what is another for temp?

The oil temperature closely tracks the coolant temperature (although higher) because the oil cooler is a heat exchanger with the engine coolant. This fact combined with the type of oil Ford specs. IMO the oil temp is nice to have but of little value.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
With my 600 Fords in a boat with closed cooling, The oil temp can rise 40-50 degrees in less than a minutes of hard running. The water temp may bump 10 degrees in that same time period.

I run a much higher quality, non street legal Synthetic oil in the boat FWIW.

Just sayin.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
On my picklefork hydro the water temp varies all over the map, as the pickup is in and out of the water. Oil temp is what counts, as that tells me what the engine is doing and when to drop the hull pickup back in the water.

View attachment 23038View attachment 23039

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The oil temperature closely tracks the coolant temperature (although higher) because the oil cooler is a heat exchanger with the engine coolant. This fact combined with the type of oil Ford specs.

From my direct experience, this statement couldn't be further from the truth. The Coyote engine in the Boss uses a similar cooler to the GT and we have done extensive datalogging of coolant and oil temps - under both normal and track conditions. There is little similarity between the two and has been mentioned previously - short bursts into high RPM has an almost immediate effect on oil temps. Sustained high RPM play havoc with oil temps whereas water temps may be much more reasonable. Oil temp is what you want to be looking at.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
On my picklefork hydro the water temp varies all over the map, as the pickup is in and out of the water. Oil temp is what counts, as that tells me what the engine is doing and when to drop the hull pickup back in the water.

Closed cooling keeps me from having the exact same affect but my earlier open cooling boats did exactly the same thing.

Love the Boat Ralphie. :thumbsup

Mine is a little different in style (7,500lbs dry). My wife took a couple pictures from the house tho.

Attachments

• 100_0089 (2).jpg
    100_0089 (2).jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN0605.jpg
    DSCN0605.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0633.jpg
    DSCN0633.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 301