After nearly 15 years in the making, I finally own a Ford GT

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations and welcome to our little group of Happy Ford GT Owners! Here’s to many miles and years of fun driving and communications on our Forum!

Reactions: digman1 and Cadster

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Welcome to the GT Club. You've got great taste in cars :). There are a couple of us in Lake Norman and 2 of us in Greensboro North Carolina. Reach out if you want a wingman.
And when he says wingman, none more qualified!!!

Reactions: Cadster

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Fabulous. Great to see The 5-5/-6 continuing to bring news owner/members here. Enjoy! Even in warmer weather.... heat your tires.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Quick update. The car arrived just as the sun was coming up. I wasted no time getting a quick 30 mile rip through the early morning countryside. Knowing the combination of 29 degree weather and 15 year old Goodyears don’t mix, I never went more than 1/3 throttle. There will be plenty of time to safely explore limitations, this morning was simply a “get to know you” exercise. We’ll advance the relationship further as time goes on. Here are my first thoughts:

1). The car itself was exactly as described...flawless. For all practical purposes, it looks showroom fresh. Even the drivers side seat bolster doesn’t give up its age. I truly cannot believe that it’s 15 years old. The casual observer who doesn’t know cars, would certainly assume it was purchased new yestereday.

2). It drives exactly how it did in my dreams. It tracks perfect. Feels raw and “race car-ish”, but effortlessly gobbles up bumps in the road at the same time. The engine has phenomenal grunt and sounds heavenly (although I might be doing some exhaust work to extract just a little “more” out of it). Of course, I love the old school bolt action tranny. I also love the analog nature, complete without driving nannies. Talk about end of an era. Perhaps most surprisingly, absolutely no squeaks or rattles. I can’t even believe it. My brand new 812 had peculiar noises from the very first drive. So did my Performante. I was able to get the latter to quiet down, and I’ll work on the former during its first service in May.

3). It’s a super tight fit. That probably understates the matter. Much tighter than I remembered from sitting in one while in Miami for the Super Bowl. I‘m going to need to investigate seat lowering. At 6’6” 255lbs, I am at the bleeding edge of the outer limits in terms of fitting in the car. Comfort is not even on the table. I wrenched my neck while leaning over to avoid being guillotined when shutting the door.

4). Driving the car feels oddly less conspicuous than either the Lamborghini or the Ferrari. Maybe it’s just me, but even though the car is priced similarly, it has a everyman quality to it.

In the next couple weeks, I’ll come back and provide more thorough driving impressions. One thing is for certain, I am rusty with a hand shaker, and never mind heel and toe....

You know, the great thing is almost everyone here can relate to your post exactly as if it were yesterday for each of us. Have fun!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Congratulations Cadster! And also welcome to the best forum in the world with the nicest people. Hope to see you at the Rally.

Ed

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
congrats enjoy in good health ive spoken to chris a few xs great guy

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Extremely sad update. The dealer that I purchased my GT from, and provided the glowing review in the earlier post, passed away earlier this week. I found out from his wife yesterday. I was following up on the title and a couple punch list items and she informed me by text using his phone. Even though I did not meet him in person, we connected immediately. Great guy. A bona fide enthusiastic. I was fully intending to buy more cars from him in the ensuing years to come. Indeed, I was about to make an offer on a Viper ACR he has. I just feel so bad for his wife and all his loved ones. I pray they find peace, comfort, and healing. He was only 59, which is just a kid for God’s sake. Nothing is promised, live every day to the absolute fullest.

http://instagr.am/p/B9m860uj5VG/

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
RIP

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
WAIT.....Bernie died?
WOW...……..Im down to MADNC , STORM CAT and JEFF.....
This is a shock.....
gtjoey1314

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
rip

CampoLady

GT Owner
May 25, 2018
Bernie has passed. He died in his sleep a few days ago. Another FordGT Ambassador gone.
RIP

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
RIP

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe Chip could move the replies dealing with Bernie's passing to a stand-alone topic. It is worthy of one of its own.

RIP.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Thanks for all the well wishes. Quick update, my detailer will have my full Xpel along with Exoshield done on Friday. The wait has been maddening, but I know the QC will be absolutely perfect, and certainly worth the wait in the end. I truly miss the heck out of the car. Sadly, with all the disruption in the world, I no longer feel it appropriate to drive my other cars. I do feel that driving the GT will be far less indelicate to all those who’ve had their lives turned upside down.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Maybe Chip could move the replies dealing with Bernie's passing to a stand-alone topic. It is worthy of one of its own.

RIP.

I totally agree with this idea. At the same time though, his death will always oddly commemorate my purchase. It was an honor to deal with him, and his sudden passing was, and still is, a total shock. I still cannot hardly believe that it happened.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
So this is a reply to a “value question” on a different forum (you can probably guess which one). Unlike many, I understand the need for value dialogue and don’t knee jerk resist those discussions. I thought I might cross post this in the GT Forum (is also posted in the F****** forum too). I know many use the search feature to research cars and I thought these opinions might help someone down the road. So I was asked where I thought the FGT was in its value curve...

Not sure. I guess it depends somewhat on the current matter we are making our way through. Assuming the economy rights itself quickly after a sharp, but short retraction, I think the GT probably stays somewhat steady over time. Helping the car are these key factors:

1). American Supercar. This matters. At least it did to me. Something about having the Blue Oval stamped on the front. It’s almost like the everyman’s exotic. No offense to anyone (as I mentioned previously, I own both a Ferrari and a Lamborghini), but the Ford GT probably does not polarize near as much as other high end cars. The easiest way to say it, at the risk of drawing ire, the d*****bag factor is about as low as you can get with the Ford GT.

2). Analog. Bolt action. End of an era. Millennial theft deterrent device. I still can’t get over how much I enjoy being reunited with the hand shaker. Plus, no nanny’s. None. Legit widow maker.

3). Bullet proof. It’s reassuring having a 15 year old car that carries nearly zero risk of going boom. I know that this reason alone keeps the value high. Aspirational buyers can stretch out for this car knowing that they are not going to get whacked with unforeseen repair bills. Servicing the car is relatively easy. I mean, it’s a Ford. Tons of owners do their own maintenance. Can’t really do that with your Pista.

4). Timeless design. Could be 5 years old, could be 50 years old. The design is epic. Plus, unlike many cars, it gets more beautiful and more contemporary as time moves on. Again, no offense, but think about some of the cars that came out at the same time (I won’t name them, don’t need to, you know what they are), those cars show their age. At some point those cars will be back in favor again, but for now, they look their age.

5). Modern performance. The weight is relatively low, and with 550 HP base, and with 650-700 HP available with a couple easy mods (x pipe, pulley, tune), you can create real modern speed. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s not nearly as fast as my Performante or 812, not even close, but the way the speed is delivered creates a strong impression of power. For now, I have no plans to go beyond the base power delivery, but it’s nice to know that I could reach for a little more if I needed it.

6). Relatively mileage insensitive. Unlike other cars of its genre, each mile does not fully crush the value. Clearly, the powder puff, diaper rubbed, garage queens have more built in value, but the driver’s cars pull good money too. Think about what 10,000 miles does to just about any other car, and then think about what that does to a Ford GT. Not that I care about miles, I’ll drive this car with complete impunity, hoping to clock 1500-2000 miles per year.

7). Rare enough. So, many of these cars were exported over the years, while others were destroyed in accidents. It’s a matter of pure speculation, but I guess there is somewhere around 3000ish still on US roads. That number is low enough to preserve pricing, and that preservation of pricing has its own appeal for many people. Even before CV19, I had probably lost well over $100,000 in less than a year on my 812. That won’t happen on the GT, and that fact alone helps with pricing stability.

8). Racing pedigree. I think the Ford v Ferrari movie (which I personally thought was rather well done) gave the car a little pop. Certainly more visibility was placed on the car in the near term. Over time, the racing heritage means something to many.

That’s how I see the GT. I don’t expect a big run up in value, nor do a see much of a retraction either. To me, the car will stay somewhat steady, which is what it’s done for the last decade or so. I hope this info helps you and anyone else who might stumble upon it. Finally, I really regret not getting one sooner. I will be making up for lost time.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
So I managed to collect my GT from the detailer on Friday. He finished up the full Xpel, ceramic, and Exoshield. Looks amazing. No surprise, but post paint correction (couple minor areas needed some attention) the car looks showroom new. Best of all, I can now drive with much less fear of suffering road damage. Added benefit, full Xpel plus ceramic coating means almost never having to wash your car. Just a quick spray and gentle rub and that’s it. Always spotless and shiny. Since I still do not have picture posting privileges, I will post those on the other forums.

By the way, his name is Brian Brown, and he is the owner/operator/artist at Exclusive Detail in Charlotte. I used him for my Lamborghini Performante too (it‘s also full Xpel, ceramic, Exoshield).

Exclusive Detail
www.exclusivedetail.com
brian@exclusivedetail.com
Phone: 704-525-5225
IG: @exclusivedetail704

Reactions: Shark01 and Ed Sims

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
That’s how I see the GT. I don’t expect a big run up in value, nor do a see much of a retraction either. To me, the car will stay somewhat steady, which is what it’s done for the last decade or so. I hope this info helps you and anyone else who might stumble upon it. Finally, I really regret not getting one sooner. I will be making up for lost time.

As you know, I'm a little more bullish about future pricing (I have a Lamborghini....so I'm bullish about alot of stuff...LOL). I will take issue with the statement that prices have been steady the past decade. Recently, I posted my price chart from my original 2012 search, and it is nothing like today's market....and I'l go further to say even the market 3 years ago has big differences.

Let me ask, as a ballpark, how much did all the paint protection stuff cost?

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
As you know, I'm a little more bullish about future pricing (I have a Lamborghini....so I'm bullish about alot of stuff...LOL). I will take issue with the statement that prices have been steady the past decade. Recently, I posted my price chart from my original 2012 search, and it is nothing like today's market....and I'l go further to say even the market 3 years ago has big differences.

Let me ask, as a ballpark, how much did all the paint protection stuff cost?

No doubt. Much has changed since 2012, and much has changed since I bought mine, which could very well have been the final Pre-CV purchase.

Brian will give everyone a good deal. I do know that my price point was based on my previous business with him, along with the presumed additional business I will be doing with him over time, so it might not be perfectly relevant to anyone else. Also, the GT presents a little more challenge than most other cars, and I would not be surprised if he might want to charge a little more next time around. I even told him beforehand that if he encountered anything that was outside the forecasted scope of the assignment, I would be happy to adjust accordingly. I am more concerned with QC than saving a couple extra dollars. Ultimately, he did not ask for any additional money. He’s a great all-around guy and does good work.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Looking forward to a long back country run early tomorrow morning. Figuring about two hours. Sunday combined with quarantine traffic should make for perfect conditions.