700 mile update on 0098 - AJB Liquid Blue

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Some observations on my new GT at 700 miles...

OIL / FILTER:
I had the oil / filter changed yesterday at Milliken by Joe and Ian... 600 Miles.

1. it is much simpler than our 2005-06 Ford GT's
2. only one belly pan needs removed
3. two (2) drain plugs to remove - 13.7 quarts of oil
3. both plugs have internal allen-wrench type drives
4. a very standard type screw-on canister oil filter
5. the two plugs and filter are all within 10 inches of each other and very visible
6. still pleased with the intricate surface machining and casting quality of the bottom of the engine.

BLUE PAINTERS TAPE:
Suds washed the car today in my driveway - (getting cold here in Michigan)
1. Removed all of the blue painters tape DBK and I installed weeks ago - 700 miles on the ODO
2. carefully spray-detail wiped the covered areas.
3. the protected areas , door undersides, wheel lips etc ALL PERFECT !!
4. No residue from the painters tape.
my body lowers and door bottoms are the Gloss black painted carbon fiber with no visible carbon weave- so I was concerned but now very relieved.

I did have gorilla tape in the front inner fender air inlets (installed by Bernardo at Delivery )and had installed the 'gravel catcher ' GT Guys screens .
Even then, both screens had quite a bit of gravel trapped --therefore , these screen are a ''must have'' accessory for our cars.

ajb (andy)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the report AJB! Keep us up to date when the spring driving season starts & you put more miles on it.

Ed

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Some observations on my new GT at 700 miles...

OIL / FILTER:
I had the oil / filter changed yesterday at Milliken by Joe and Ian... 600 Miles.

1. it is much simpler than our 2005-06 Ford GT's
2. only one belly pan needs removed
3. two (2) drain plugs to remove - 13.7 quarts of oil
3. both plugs have internal allen-wrench type drives
4. a very standard type screw-on canister oil filter
5. the two plugs and filter are all within 10 inches of each other and very visible
6. still pleased with the intricate surface machining and casting quality of the bottom of the engine.

BLUE PAINTERS TAPE:
Suds washed the car today in my driveway - (getting cold here in Michigan)
1. Removed all of the blue painters tape DBK and I installed weeks ago - 700 miles on the ODO
2. carefully spray-detail wiped the covered areas.
3. the protected areas , door undersides, wheel lips etc ALL PERFECT !!
4. No residue from the painters tape.
my body lowers and door bottoms are the Gloss black painted carbon fiber with no visible carbon weave- so I was concerned but now very relieved.

I did have gorilla tape in the front inner fender air inlets (installed by Bernardo at Delivery )and had installed the 'gravel catcher ' GT Guys screens .
Even then, both screens had quite a bit of gravel trapped --therefore , these screen are a ''must have'' accessory for our cars.

ajb (andy)

Good information Andy, thanks for the post.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Does the NGT have a dipstick? Or electronically measured?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Does the NGT have a dipstick? Or electronically measured?

Dipstick. Proper timing after engine shutdown required for an accurate measurement.

Chip

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Its the big center cap - HOT HOT be careful!!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Keep a microfiber towel and paper towel in the "engine trunk".
It is very hot. Check approx. 60 to 90 seconds after engine shut off. Also, I noticed there must be a strap and then a center hole in the strap to make sure you get the little dipstick
centered properly. Another nice feature is than when you have the oil cap fully tightened, the "GT" ENGRAVED on the top of the cap is perfectly aligned 'cross car'.!
Andy (ajb)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Right, just like the 05-06

We have several cars that don't which is why I asked. They have to be running, and running for a while to give you a measurement.

Thanks for the info.

Dipstick. Proper timing after engine shutdown required for an accurate measurement.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone know how the electronic measurement systems work? My Mini (BMW) keeps an eye on it, you can also manually run a test. Engine must be warm, on a level surface - test revs the engine ever so slightly, and runs about a minute.. I am curious how these work...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Good for you Andy. Thanks for sharing with us.

Vince H

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Thanks for the helpful info Andy. Keep us updated.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nice reporting Andy.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Agreed. These sneak peaks at ownership are appreciated!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
A few more tidbits.
-a warning light comes on at 38 degrees F. On the instrument panel to warn you of potential tire traction issues.
-you can walk away from the vehicle with the engine running and actually walk back into your house and there is no "double-beep" of the horn to let you know .(like other Ford Products )
We loaded vehicle into the Milliken trailer today and delivered, with Ian driving, to Motor Cit Solutions for clear-wrap.
Ajb (andy)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I would like to add 3 very important details to the oil change procedure ..
First and most important is do not start and run the engine to warm the oil. The engine and oil need to be cold. The reason for this is the oil cooler and circulating line are thermostatically controlled and You do not want to drain the oil out of the lines or cooler, if this happens you have major, major task ahead to refill the cooler, lines and to get the air bleed out of the system.

There is a separate drain plug for the cooler lines and it's important not to take that one out when draining the other two.. they are all real close to each other.

You also need to Prefill the oil filter,,,

Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks Bryan for the heads up! Hopefully the GT mechanics are trained as to this detail? I’m sitting on 975 miles on mine and can’t get the first oil change until my mechanics are trained by Multimatic in Canada the first week of December. No problem since I don’t track my GT anyway.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Brian. Good update. Thx.
Tommy. The mechanic at Milliken knew. Joe showed me the three (3) plugs and then painted the two that needed to be removed 'yellow'. He said if I ever change oil myself to ONLY remove the two yellow painted ones.
I did not ask about the other items but all seems to be well .
He has done the 600 mile change on about 5 or 6 new ford gt's so far.
Andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The techs have access to a very detailed oil change procedure. I got a copy. I did my own oil change. As Andy mentioned once you're familiar with the process it's easier than the 05/06... now air filter changes will be another story LOL

Reactions: SPI

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Brian. Good update. Thx.
Tommy. The mechanic at Milliken knew. Joe showed me the three (3) plugs and then painted the two that needed to be removed 'yellow'. He said if I ever change oil myself to ONLY remove the two yellow painted ones.
I did not ask about the other items but all seems to be well .
He has done the 600 mile change on about 5 or 6 new ford gt's so far.
Andy (ajb)

It would seem appropriate for Ford to adopt this color coordinated drain plug idea.

Good creative thinking by your tech's! I love common sense ideas.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I wish I could take my NGT, when I get it in 2019, to Milliken for service. Our closest NGT Service dealer is a jerk. At least I'll have Milliken deliver it for me!

Ed