600hp 08 Viper Testing against GT

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
I have heard from several people that the mags have been testing the new 08 Viper against the GT, Z06 and a few top euro machines for up comming issues. Can anyone confirm? And might they know what kind of numbers it is putting down? I'm very curious.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Go to the Viper forum @ www.viperclub.org for their are numerous threads regarding your question. Lots of interesting info to read. Dan

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
The track was actually MIR maryland international raceway and I rented the track for all 3 cars on 2 different occasions and actually the weather was probably the worst (hot) for the Z06 as were the 60ft times. I have never seen more than a tenth or 2 difference at the same track in the same car even when outside tempatures have varied from 50 degrees to 90 degrees as long as the traction was similar (60ft). I have raced all over the country and many in the viper forum know me from racing vipers from englishtown to beech bend to mir and the times did not vary much nor did the mph. Like I said I have raced a lot of stock cars and all the new supercars including my Porsche and Ferrari and I have never seen a stock car turn so much mph in a quarter mile as a new C6 Z06 and its going to take more than 100 hp for the new viper to turn the et and mph the Z06 can make IMO. Maybe it will but I will have to see it to believe it. 001 I have made more pass's in the GT than the Z06 so I think my comparison is pretty accurate. Also I used my HP calculator which bases hp on mph vs weight and for the GT it said the car has 590 hp and the Z06 has 540 hp and I also think that is pretty accurate from what I have read about the cars being dynoed. From a roll the cars are probably close and maybe an edge to the GT but the hp to weight can't be beat from a dead stop and I think the weight difference is closer to 500 pounds not 300 at least when I weighed my cars. Oh and as a side note I don't want anyone to think I am biased because I am not, I love the GT and its my favorite car of all time, but things are what they are. I don't believe magazine tests I like to do the testing myself so I know the cars are getting the same skill level and maximum performance from me with no bias or bs do to whoever spends the most advertising dollars in that publication.

z

Last edited:

HOGDEALER

GT Owner
Nov 19, 2005
Coos Bay, Oregon
lamboman

Great info. Thanks!!

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Yeah..it is. I am in the process of doing one of my '06 Coupes to look exactly like that car. A clone so to speak!!
Leave off the red stripe it is fugly:willy

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
Prediction...with a little bit of inside info. Yes..it beats the Z.
Expect to see quite a few more vipers up on curbs. The overage Joe was having problems keeping the 500hp version in control. Know of two friends that have done so. Cant believe they dont equip these 500hp+ cars w traction control.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
The track was actually MIR maryland international raceway and I rented the track for all 3 cars on 2 different occasions and actually the weather was probably the worst (hot) for the Z06 as were the 60ft times. I have never seen more than a tenth or 2 difference at the same track in the same car even when outside tempatures have varied from 50 degrees to 90 degrees as long as the traction was similar (60ft). I have raced all over the country and many in the viper forum know me from racing vipers from englishtown to beech bend to mir and the times did not vary much nor did the mph. Like I said I have raced a lot of stock cars and all the new supercars including my Porsche and Ferrari and I have never seen a stock car turn so much mph in a quarter mile as a new C6 Z06 and its going to take more than 100 hp for the new viper to turn the et and mph the Z06 can make IMO. Maybe it will but I will have to see it to believe it. 001 I have made more pass's in the GT than the Z06 so I think my comparison is pretty accurate. Also I used my HP calculator which bases hp on mph vs weight and for the GT it said the car has 590 hp and the Z06 has 540 hp and I also think that is pretty accurate from what I have read about the cars being dynoed. From a roll the cars are probably close and maybe an edge to the GT but the hp to weight can't be beat from a dead stop and I think the weight difference is closer to 500 pounds not 300 at least when I weighed my cars. Oh and as a side note I don't want anyone to think I am biased because I am not, I love the GT and its my favorite car of all time, but things are what they are. I don't believe magazine tests I like to do the testing myself so I know the cars are getting the same skill level and maximum performance from me with no bias or bs do to whoever spends the most advertising dollars in that publication.

z
Well said,
Do you know your 60' on both cars and the et/mph @the 1/8.
I would like to compare once I take my GT down the track
Thanks
Sal

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
No one cares what Ranger ran in his quicker than any other Z car..or what Lamboman ran in his quicker than any other SRT car. You can't minimize the tire factor..it is huge. Anyway...the first test will be reported end of next week. We will see. I hope they do produce the BD. It will only keep the wars alive.
Also not to beat a dead horse (which of course we are doing), Ranger will guarantee that his car is not special. How could he have gotten a special car when the car one receives is a random item? The fact is the Z is the first car conforming to the new SAE standard and although it has been beat to death - all the Z motors are within about 5 HP and the Society of Automotive Engineers guarantees that. This is crankshaft horsepower on a proper engine dyno in carefully controlled conditions - as opposed to the highly variable chassis dyno numbers we see across all makes of cars. My opinion is that Ranger could run within one or two tenths of his times in anyone's Z - mine or yours included.
My main point however, is that when the magazines start testing the current Z against any upcoming cars, Joe Blow, or any test driver limited to a few passes will have a much harder time bringing in a representative time with the Z (TM) than the Viper, or the GT, etc. You give the cars to a magazine and the driver gets to make a couple of passes and his time in a non-TM car will be "relatively" better (more representative of the car's actual power capabilities) than the TM car which requires many passes to optimize. True, this is built into the car, so the test on the surface is fair - but it poorly represents the Z in my opinion. In a quick search yesterday I found several time slips posted between 11.67 and 11.4 on stock tires for the Z, so when the magazines test it against the new Viper and they get a 12, it won't mean much to me.

I agree that the new Viper should beat the current Z by a tad due to its slightly better lb/HP;
Viper; 5.83 lb/HP
Z; 6.19 lb/HP

All I ask is that the Z is "fairly" represented, which will immediately be obivous when we see its time.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Yeah..it is. I am in the process of doing one of my '06 Coupes to look exactly like that car. A clone so to speak!!
Dont leave anything out. I definately want to see that when its done.:thumbsup

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
z
paragraphs are your friend:thumbsup

I think alot of the advantage of the Z06 will be in the fact that there are so many more examples out there. In other words there is a much greater chance of a great driver at the right track in the right weather. Just more opportunities for the Z06 to run the number.

It is likely that we will have a similiar scenario to the GTS vs. C5Z where the ETs turned are fairly close even though if lined up side by side from a roll the GTS will walk the C5Z fairly easily. The plain fact is that it is easier to launch a lighter, lower powered car.

Performance cars are fast enough today that differences in tests like 0-60 don't tell the full story. We are quickly approaching a time where even the 1/4 mile doesn't tell that story due to the limit of factory tires. The real difference in acceleration between these cars will only fully be shown in the 0-150mph or standing mile tests.

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Viper versus FGT

I am also interested in the new Corvette Z06 that is supposed to be in the works. I read the factory project name is "Blue Devil" and i have seen HP expectations of 600 then 650 and most lately 680 hp.

Lee

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
I am also interested in the new Corvette Z06 that is supposed to be in the works. I read the factory project name is "Blue Devil" and i have seen HP expectations of 600 then 650 and most lately 680 hp.

Lee
Yes, that vette is confirmed but no exact specs on HP and price. Will be a monster for sure but will probably lack in the looks dept since it will now be well into the "supercar" stattus in price and performance.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am First on the List with my Local Dodge dealer for a 08 Viper. I am waiting on some Magazine testing to see how it will compare to my 07 Z06. I hope the Viper is faster in a straight line.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I have heard from several people that the mags have been testing the new 08 Viper against the GT, Z06 and a few top euro machines for up comming issues. Can anyone confirm? And might they know what kind of numbers it is putting down? I'm very curious.
Look for 0-60 in the 3.3-3.4 from Motor Tremd...quarter mile times below 11.5. RWHP is over 535. Actual crank HP is closer to 615.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Yes, that vette is confirmed but no exact specs on HP and price. Will be a monster for sure but will probably lack in the looks dept since it will now be well into the "supercar" stattus in price and performance.
Yes..confirmed but not even a display car at the Detroit Show. Dodge has already put its next step at the show....the terminator at 675 HP. lol.

Last edited:

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Is the question whether the new Viper will beat the current Z06, or the Blue Devil? Either way, it will lose.... if vs. the current Z, it will need to beat 10.85 (which no STOCK GT has ever done, and no stock Viper is even in the same league), and if vs. the Blue Devil - well, hard to predict against a car that has not even been built yet, but the new Viper STILL weighs too much and the Blue Devil is rumored to be less than 3000 lbs (for those that don't know what this means - a RACE car on the street)...

Last edited:

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Look at the racing slicks on that viper. That car is just sick.:eek

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Look at the racing slicks on that viper. That car is just sick.:eek

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
That was 10.85 on DR's not Bone Stock. No Z has run in the 10's Bone Stock. If it doesn't beat my 07Z then I'm not interested in it. I Hope Everetto is right.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Also not to beat a dead horse.................

I agree that the new Viper should beat the current Z by a tad due to its slightly better lb/HP;
Viper; 5.83 lb/HP
Z; 6.19 lb/HP

All I ask is that the Z is "fairly" represented, which will immediately be obivous when we see its time.
It is a great time to be into GT'S/Vettes/Vipers. Bring the power on. The last of my endless analysis:

HP as a % to total vehicle weight. Using known RWHP averages.

05/06 FGT...............15.0% RWHP...using 510WHP
06/07 Z06...............14.1%.RWHP...using 450WHP
06 Viper..................12.9% RWHP...using 440WHP

08 Viper..................................15.8% RWHP...using 535WHP

Please ask those guys who own both a Viper and C6 Z06. All will tell you that the Z is faster...but not by a huge amount. I will continue to use the .3 in the quarter...because that is what I have seen on my cars...and at the strip in others cars. You can also improve the Vipers timeslip by doing many things that comes with experience. There are Z guys running 11.4/11.5 for sure...but there are SRT guys running 11.7/11.8 as well....and we are still at the .3 that I talk about. Take it to Rangers 11.2, and take my 11.5. Still .3. I will make a prediction that I will put the '08 Viper into the 10's...bone stock. It may take me a couple of months, but I will get it there. And my comment on Ranger is more the driver than the car. He also holds the record for the C5 Z06 I believe. But...these cars do vary in power...and there are good and bad ones. My first C6 Z dyno'd at 435...my current one at 451..on the same dyno. It is quicker than the other 2 I had, no doubt. Good debating the subject with you. Long live American Muscle.

Last edited: