600hp 08 Viper Testing against GT

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
I have heard from several people that the mags have been testing the new 08 Viper against the GT, Z06 and a few top euro machines for up comming issues. Can anyone confirm? And might they know what kind of numbers it is putting down? I'm very curious.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Go to the Viper forum @ www.viperclub.org for their are numerous threads regarding your question. Lots of interesting info to read. Dan

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Viper versus FGT

I am also interested in the new Corvette Z06 that is supposed to be in the works. I read the factory project name is "Blue Devil" and i have seen HP expectations of 600 then 650 and most lately 680 hp.

Lee

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
I am also interested in the new Corvette Z06 that is supposed to be in the works. I read the factory project name is "Blue Devil" and i have seen HP expectations of 600 then 650 and most lately 680 hp.

Lee

Yes, that vette is confirmed but no exact specs on HP and price. Will be a monster for sure but will probably lack in the looks dept since it will now be well into the "supercar" stattus in price and performance.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am First on the List with my Local Dodge dealer for a 08 Viper. I am waiting on some Magazine testing to see how it will compare to my 07 Z06. I hope the Viper is faster in a straight line.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I have heard from several people that the mags have been testing the new 08 Viper against the GT, Z06 and a few top euro machines for up comming issues. Can anyone confirm? And might they know what kind of numbers it is putting down? I'm very curious.

Look for 0-60 in the 3.3-3.4 from Motor Tremd...quarter mile times below 11.5. RWHP is over 535. Actual crank HP is closer to 615.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Yes, that vette is confirmed but no exact specs on HP and price. Will be a monster for sure but will probably lack in the looks dept since it will now be well into the "supercar" stattus in price and performance.

Yes..confirmed but not even a display car at the Detroit Show. Dodge has already put its next step at the show....the terminator at 675 HP. lol.

Last edited:

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Look at the racing slicks on that viper. That car is just sick.:eek

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Look at the racing slicks on that viper. That car is just sick.:eek

Yeah..it is. I am in the process of doing one of my '06 Coupes to look exactly like that car. A clone so to speak!!

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Look for 0-60 in the 3.3-3.4 from Motor Tremd...quarter mile times below 11.5. RWHP is over 535. Actual crank HP is closer to 615.

So your Prediction, Will it beat the Z06 In a the Quarter?

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
So your Prediction, Will it beat the Z06 In a the Quarter?

Prediction...with a little bit of inside info. Yes..it beats the Z.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Yeah..it is. I am in the process of doing one of my '06 Coupes to look exactly like that car. A clone so to speak!!

Leave off the red stripe it is fugly:willy

Speed Thrills

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2007
Prediction...with a little bit of inside info. Yes..it beats the Z.

Expect to see quite a few more vipers up on curbs. The overage Joe was having problems keeping the 500hp version in control. Know of two friends that have done so. Cant believe they dont equip these 500hp+ cars w traction control.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006

Dont leave anything out. I definately want to see that when its done.:thumbsup

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Is the question whether the new Viper will beat the current Z06, or the Blue Devil? Either way, it will lose.... if vs. the current Z, it will need to beat 10.85 (which no STOCK GT has ever done, and no stock Viper is even in the same league), and if vs. the Blue Devil - well, hard to predict against a car that has not even been built yet, but the new Viper STILL weighs too much and the Blue Devil is rumored to be less than 3000 lbs (for those that don't know what this means - a RACE car on the street)...

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
That was 10.85 on DR's not Bone Stock. No Z has run in the 10's Bone Stock. If it doesn't beat my 07Z then I'm not interested in it. I Hope Everetto is right.

Last edited:

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
That was 10.85 on DR's not Bone Stock. No Z has run in the 10's Bone Stock. If it doesn't beat my 07Z then I'm not interested in it. I Hope Everetto is right.

You are correct, the 10.85 was on DRs. It was 11.2 on the factory tires, which will still be a tough target to hit!

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
You are correct, the 10.85 was on DRs. It was 11.2 on the factory tires, which will still be a tough target to hit!

So you are saying that the stock '08 Viper has to beat the FASTEST time ever recorded? No...that isn't the way a true comparison test is done. Out of over 30 different Z's that I have seen run, including mine...have yet to see a bone stock hit below 11.7...and many are in the low 12's. Yes..Ranger hit those times. What about the guys who can't crack 12.3 in the Z? You have to look at the mag tests where they run the SAME track, SAME driver, SAME condition. I have all the comparison tests done on the z over the last 2 years. Norm is 11.7-12.0. The '06 Viper is at 11.9- 12.3. I have NEVER lost to a new Z at the strip in one of my bone stock Vipers. Of course..I can run 11.5's all day long, and for some reason..it is MUCH quicker than my other Vipers. Not the norm for a stock SRT. Kinda like Ranger's Z. Yes..the '08 will beat the Z with same driver, same track, same condition. The BD?? Not even a concept at the show yet. After EPA..certification..etc, I will begin to think about it. The short lived run of the Z as king of the hill is over. It was a one year run. History of quickest American cars since '92:
92...Viper
93...Viper
94...Viper
95...Viper
96...Viper
97...Viper
98...Viper
99...Viper
00...Viper
01...Viper
02...Viper
03...Viper
04...Viper
05...FGT
06...FGT
07...Z06 (No FGT or Viper produced)
08...???

I have owned 3 C6 Z's...still have an '07. The '06 Viper is about .3 slower than the stock Z in the quarter. The '08 will eat it up. That damn power to weight thing..and add the new sticky stock tires on top of that. 535RWHP...sticky stock tires...new rear-end..upgraded tranny...all new clutch....on a slightly lighter car than the '06 Viper.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Leave off the red stripe it is fugly:willy

I like the Red stripe. It will be on the car.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Expect to see quite a few more vipers up on curbs. The overage Joe was having problems keeping the 500hp version in control. Know of two friends that have done so. Cant believe they dont equip these 500hp+ cars w traction control.

Viper owners don't want traction control. The Vette is around for that stuff. The Viper is an active driving machine. Takes skill and experience to get the most out of the car, and the novice will put it into a ditch or wall. Save the nanny tech for someone else. However..the day is coming where it will be government regulated for all vehicles, unfortunately. The write up below explains the Viper. This was a CNN issue on Collectable cars of the future by Hagerty:

Dodge Viper
An avid, cult-like following can boost a car's appeal in the collector-car market, said McKeel Hagerty of Hagerty Insurance. The Viper is a superb example of the phenomenon.
"The Viper created almost a new category for itself as kind of the anti-Corvette," said Hagerty.

The Chevrolet Corvette has its followers, too, but the Viper prides itself on being a car for the truly dedicated.

The 'Vette pampers and protects you with amenities like cupholders, side impact airbags and electronic stability control.

The Viper, on the other hand, will do you no favors. It will not hold your beverage and it will not protect you if you manage to skid sideways into a tree. You'll experience the Viper's exhaust heat and engine noise first hand.

With its enormous tires and extremely sensitive steering, the Viper responds to every wrinkle in the road, so you'd better keep both hands on the wheel.

But the Viper's extreme, pit-bull image could make it highly collectible in the future. The upcoming 2008 Viper is shown here.

Last edited: