600hp 08 Viper Testing against GT

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
The GT (mine anyway) makes 535 whp, give or take a few. Shouldn't 80 or 90 horsepower, at the tire, and mid-engine traction, be able to overcome the Z's 300lb advantage?

Absolutely. The Z has a little advantage with the low gearing, not enough to offset the 85-90 WHP. See...everyone has a different story. My GT's have outrun my 3 C6 Z's. Jamie said his Z was quicker than his GT. Would be curious what his WHP is on both cars. Have heard of a few GT's in the 480's...and a few Z's in the 460's. That would certainly make the Z quicker. Still have never seen a Mag. comparison test that had the Z quicker than the GT. Most have the GT up by .2 or more.

Last edited:

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
That is why in my earlier post I discussed SAE crank HP, because chassis dynos vary so widely - on ANY type of car, day to day, hour to hour, using various correction and smoothing factors etc. The majority of the Z's I have seen do about 450, but yes, some do 460 or a tad more.

The Z is fast due to its light weight, and as Lamboman stated - it has a bit of an overall effective gearing advantage, at least when compared to the GT; 3.42 vs. 3.36 differential and rear tires that are MUCH shorter.

Jamie - I knew you had some really good times in your Z, I just did not want to speak for you - congrats again - you and Ranger have set the bar quite high, with nearly identical times!

And the poor magazine times for the Z goes back to my earlier point regarding drivers making a limited number of passes with the Z. It is just a fact that it will take more passes/skill to make the Z show its true potential - more so with the Z than any other non-TM car.

Last edited:

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
As an owner of all three cars GT, Z06 and previous owner of several vipers including the first Heffner Supercharged one, there is a huge difference between the C6 Z06 and the current viper. The new vipers struggle to break into the elevens with a good driver, and my bone stock Z06 as delivered my first time ever at the track in the car ran consistent 11.3's at 128 with a best of 11.2 at 129, and I am sure 10's would be an easy task with drag radials. I think its very unlikely that the new viper will indeed be able to out run the Z06 and if does I will be very surprised! I know ranger and have raced with him on several occassions and although a good driver, not supernatural and neither am I, and the times posted represent what ANY Z06 with a capable driver can attain. The best time my GT was able to post as delivered was a 11.5 at 126.5 and I think that pretty good but the Z06 is just unreal!

Those ETs are very impresive, expecially on the Z06, but to my experiance comparing those ETs of your car to others that have run there cars would be fair only if the cars were run at the same track/same day, I raced at many different dragstrips on the east coast and mid east / central tracks and I do know that Virginia motorsport park is a very fast track compared to others.
That is if that is the track you ran the cars , I only asume that, you being from Virginia. ( Just my opinion)

I will take my GT out to the track sometime in April, The down side of living in CT. (weather)
I am holding of on doing any modification at this time I want to run the car bone stock first and see the true power and then see the true differance with modifications

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Has anyone ran there FGT in the Quarter as much as the Z06 guys to get a Real Comparison?

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Those ETs are very impresive, expecially on the Z06, but to my experiance comparing those ETs of your car to others that have run there cars would be fair only if the cars were run at the same track/same day, I raced at many different dragstrips on the east coast and mid east / central tracks and I do know that Virginia motorsport park is a very fast track compared to others.
That is if that is the track you ran the cars , I only asume that, you being from Virginia. ( Just my opinion)

I will take my GT out to the track sometime in April, The down side of living in CT. (weather)
I am holding of on doing any modification at this time I want to run the car bone stock first and see the true power and then see the true differance with modifications

Adding to my message , the same driver would also need to drive all the cars!

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
The track was actually MIR maryland international raceway and I rented the track for all 3 cars on 2 different occasions and actually the weather was probably the worst (hot) for the Z06 as were the 60ft times. I have never seen more than a tenth or 2 difference at the same track in the same car even when outside tempatures have varied from 50 degrees to 90 degrees as long as the traction was similar (60ft). I have raced all over the country and many in the viper forum know me from racing vipers from englishtown to beech bend to mir and the times did not vary much nor did the mph. Like I said I have raced a lot of stock cars and all the new supercars including my Porsche and Ferrari and I have never seen a stock car turn so much mph in a quarter mile as a new C6 Z06 and its going to take more than 100 hp for the new viper to turn the et and mph the Z06 can make IMO. Maybe it will but I will have to see it to believe it. 001 I have made more pass's in the GT than the Z06 so I think my comparison is pretty accurate. Also I used my HP calculator which bases hp on mph vs weight and for the GT it said the car has 590 hp and the Z06 has 540 hp and I also think that is pretty accurate from what I have read about the cars being dynoed. From a roll the cars are probably close and maybe an edge to the GT but the hp to weight can't be beat from a dead stop and I think the weight difference is closer to 500 pounds not 300 at least when I weighed my cars. Oh and as a side note I don't want anyone to think I am biased because I am not, I love the GT and its my favorite car of all time, but things are what they are. I don't believe magazine tests I like to do the testing myself so I know the cars are getting the same skill level and maximum performance from me with no bias or bs do to whoever spends the most advertising dollars in that publication.

z

Last edited:

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
The track was actually MIR maryland international raceway and I rented the track for all 3 cars on 2 different occasions and actually the weather was probably the worst (hot) for the Z06 as were the 60ft times. I have never seen more than a tenth or 2 difference at the same track in the same car even when outside tempatures have varied from 50 degrees to 90 degrees as long as the traction was similar (60ft). I have raced all over the country and many in the viper forum know me from racing vipers from englishtown to beech bend to mir and the times did not vary much nor did the mph. Like I said I have raced a lot of stock cars and all the new supercars including my Porsche and Ferrari and I have never seen a stock car turn so much mph in a quarter mile as a new C6 Z06 and its going to take more than 100 hp for the new viper to turn the et and mph the Z06 can make IMO. Maybe it will but I will have to see it to believe it. 001 I have made more pass's in the GT than the Z06 so I think my comparison is pretty accurate. Also I used my HP calculator which bases hp on mph vs weight and for the GT it said the car has 590 hp and the Z06 has 540 hp and I also think that is pretty accurate from what I have read about the cars being dynoed. From a roll the cars are probably close and maybe an edge to the GT but the hp to weight can't be beat from a dead stop and I think the weight difference is closer to 500 pounds not 300 at least when I weighed my cars. Oh and as a side note I don't want anyone to think I am biased because I am not, I love the GT and its my favorite car of all time, but things are what they are. I don't believe magazine tests I like to do the testing myself so I know the cars are getting the same skill level and maximum performance from me with no bias or bs do to whoever spends the most advertising dollars in that publication.

z
Well said,
Do you know your 60' on both cars and the et/mph @the 1/8.
I would like to compare once I take my GT down the track
Thanks
Sal

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
z

paragraphs are your friend:thumbsup

I think alot of the advantage of the Z06 will be in the fact that there are so many more examples out there. In other words there is a much greater chance of a great driver at the right track in the right weather. Just more opportunities for the Z06 to run the number.

It is likely that we will have a similiar scenario to the GTS vs. C5Z where the ETs turned are fairly close even though if lined up side by side from a roll the GTS will walk the C5Z fairly easily. The plain fact is that it is easier to launch a lighter, lower powered car.

Performance cars are fast enough today that differences in tests like 0-60 don't tell the full story. We are quickly approaching a time where even the 1/4 mile doesn't tell that story due to the limit of factory tires. The real difference in acceleration between these cars will only fully be shown in the 0-150mph or standing mile tests.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
GermanO, I was actually off a hair on the 60' time on the Z06 but not much.
Here is the 1/8th mile for the Z06 on its best run.
60' 1.916
330' 4.995
1/8 7.444
mph 102.43

GT
60' 1.939
330' 5.128
1/8 7.624
mph 97.22

But like I said in an earlier post, I think from a roll the GT might have and edge as it picked up 29 mph from 1/8th mile to 1/4, where as the Z06 only picked up 26.6 in the same distance.

So also like I said in an earlier post you can't beat weight from a dead stop!