6 point harness

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
How many of you spec'd these and can you take a picture of them for me? For me I'm 50/50 at best on getting them and I don't want to spend £££ on something that if it really came to it, I could add afterwards.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We did. It is the harness bracket, not the actual belts. Dont know if its available to be added later, but it is one of the least painful "check boxes". You have to buy the actual belts later. Sparco has fantastic NGT / FP branded harnesses available (but any harness could be used if properly configured)

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I guess it depends if you think $1,800 is painful or not.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Specracer said "the least painful". He's right.

Ed

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I ordered them as they are not something that can be added later.

Reactions: Simon

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I ordered them as well. Also already rec'd my belts from Sparco. will get the dealer to install them soon.

Turn10 BigBoss

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 6, 2017
Seattle
Dang. Didn't know this couldn't be added later. Assumed it could, should have asked...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
On our car, only less expensive option was the leather steering wheel (vs Alcantara). So yes "less painful".

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Thanks guys for the responses, but still unclear if you’re getting them because you need them, or just because you think "well why not?" when they’re a relatively ‘cheap' option?

Specracer said "the least painful". He's right.

Ed
Yes I know, but that doesn't answer my question of whether they're worth it or not, all the box ticking soon adds up so I have to make sure each option is warranted eg at £10k, the titanium exhaust isn't too bad value but, as it only seems to save weight, it's still cheaper for me to go on a diet!

We did. It is the harness bracket, not the actual belts. Dont know if its available to be added later, but it is one of the least painful "check boxes". You have to buy the actual belts later. Sparco has fantastic NGT / FP branded harnesses available (but any harness could be used if properly configured)
I think US and UK option lists are a bit different - most options seem to correspond fairly well but the harness brackets seem to be out of kilter for some reason. As I’m not sure that I’ll need them as I’ve never been asked to wear a harness on a track day or even when competing in sprints (only when racing), I don’t want to waste money on something I won’t use.

I ordered them as they are not something that can be added later.
Is it definite that they can’t be retrofitted? It might be difficult, but that I could probably live with.

Dang. Didn't know this couldn't be added later. Assumed it could, should have asked...
That’s why I’m asking now. :wink

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That's really a two-part question. What's available from the factory is the mounts installed. I would get that because the mounting inserts can be installed later but it's very difficult.
The actual belts you buy directly from Sparco that's a separate transaction.. the factory-installed mounting points and bones was not an expensive option. I would go that route at least you have the option of future to buy the belts if you want them.

Last edited:

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
That's really a two-part question. What's available from the factory is the mounts installed. I would get that because the mounting inserts can be installed later but it's very difficult.
The actual belts you buy directly from Sparco that's a separate transaction.. the factory-installed mounting points and bones was not an expensive option. I would go that route at least you have the option of future to buy the belts if you want them.

Thanks. $1,800 though....hhmmmmm.

Can someone take a couple of snaps of them please? Just trying to square this in my head.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im starting to wonder if the UK pricing INCLUDES the Sparco (or equiv) belts AND the anchors. In the US the price for the anchors only and MUCH less than 1800, but does for sure NOT include the actual belts. They are bought later.

Here are questions to pose with regard to your question of "need" Do you plan to track the car? If yes, to you plan to use a head restraint system? If yes, if its a Hans, you much have a full harness, for it to work. If you have a system like the Simpson Hybrid, this system is certified to work with a "normal" passenger car 3 point system at which point you could get by with the OEM 3 point belts.

If you are on the track, and you crash, would you like the extra restraint of a harness?

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
6 point harness is only a $500 option here in US / Canada. And the belts about the same price.
For what is being spent on this car I would get them regardless. Always better to have factory installed items than after market from a provenance perspective.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I was told they we set in the CF when the tub was laid so not really and option afterwards. The cost was really not an issue and wouldn't scoff at 1800Euro. I agree with Specracer, my guess is your price quote is for the mounts and also the belts (that can be added later). I don't really plan to run the snot out of my car on a track but if I change my mind down the road I wanted the option of using a harness.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Phil -

If you do not intend to ever track the car, I just wouldn't get them. It's of no use to you, and let's be realistic, how many people will be like "oh I don't want to buy this one as I can't put in a harness," if you ever decide to sell it. At least that's my take.

There is...debate about adding them after delivery. I would just assume it will at a minimum be a pain in the ass, and a pain in the ass you can leave to the next guy.

I would be extremely suspect of the harnesses being included in the quoted price. The harnesses themselves will never be on the window sticker as a factory option (liability/regs). If someone told you that number including the belts assuming you would buy it all, that would roughly jive with US pricing. If it's just the dog bones, that is quite a bit more than the U.S price.

In my car they look like the below. In most cars there is a large alcantara NVH pad in front of the rear bulkhead; the dog bones are set in a small CF bin that is inset to the NVH pad.

34859486570_734a35be27_b.jpg

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would assume in most states you can’t use them on public roads like Texas!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
TPBG - after that very cool photo posted by DBK I would say to get them. They look so race carish that it is a must have for me. You'll regret it later.

Ed

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Are these bolts also part of the harness kit option?
I am quite sure that no belts are included in the indicated price.

Seat_removed.JPG

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Im starting to wonder if the UK pricing INCLUDES the Sparco (or equiv) belts AND the anchors.

..my guess is your price quote is for the mounts and also the belts (that can be added later).

I would be extremely suspect of the harnesses being included in the quoted price.
Thanks chaps. Well I can confirm it's just the fixings with no belts as Dave surmised.

We can have a whole long thread one day if you like, about regional pricing. Let's just say at best it's random... Change the $ to a £ and for a lot of the options you're about there. Ok maybe another 20% on the £ number. Then others, as we are finding, seem not to travel so well.

It is what it is. At $500 it's the price of a big dinner for 4 and you might think it's a no brainer. At $1,800 dinner just got serious.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I have to have them cause I'm nuts! :leaving: