5W-50 Full Synthetic Oil Recommendation

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Any recommendations on brands available and best places to purchase from?

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I just got some from Ford along with a filter - will be changing mine soon. I also investigated Mobil One - they show that weight on their European site, but not the US site. When I contacted them they said it was available but only from select distributors and gave a 1 -800 number to call to find distributors (which I will do next time). I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the Mobil One might be cheaper than buying re-bottled Motorcraft oil (i.e. less than $10/quart). I would really like to know who makes the oil in the Motorcraft bottles.

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
I have been using Mobil 1 in my turbo and nitrous cars for a number of years with great results. However, I am going to stick with what Ford recommends for this car - the Motorcraft 5w-50.

I got a great deal from my dealer on 3 cases of the Motorcraft 5w-50 as well as 3 filters. I will be performing my first oil change after my dyno sessions this weekend. At that time the car will have appx. 300 miles on it.

Steve

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
632C2 said:
I have been using Mobil 1 in my turbo and nitrous cars for a number of years with great results. However, I am going to stick with what Ford recommends for this car - the Motorcraft 5w-50.

I got a great deal from my dealer on 3 cases of the Motorcraft 5w-50 as well as 3 filters. I will be performing my first oil change after my dyno sessions this weekend. At that time the car will have appx. 300 miles on it.

Steve

How much per case and filter?

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
SYCO GT said:
How much per case and filter?
$83.88/case and $18.10 per filter.

Steve

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
How about Castrol Syntech full synthetic SAE 5W-50? I picked this off the Castrol website.

Castrol SYNTEC provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W-50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; Ford WSS-M2C931-A and the engine protection requirements of GM 4718M, ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I'm gonna' use Castrol in mine.... I've got it in every car I own, why should the GT be any different?

mardyn

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I found some of the Castrol at Sears.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
If the car runs low in oil level, would it be ok to mix the Castrol w/ the existing Motorcraft oil?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Mixing oils.

HeritageBruce said:
If the car runs low in oil level, would it be ok to mix the Castrol w/ the existing Motorcraft oil?
Yes, you can mix any engine oils. Even a full synthetic like Mobil 1 will mix with a non-synthetic oil with no ill effects.

Chip

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oil

I also use Castrol. Good brand, and sort of available..

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
I just found a good deal on ebay for Castrol 5w-50 full synthetic, bought 5 cases. It came out to $2.50 per quart including delivery.

It's the same oil I use in my other cars. Been very satisfied with it.

So check ebay. Once in awhile, there are some good deals on oil there.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
"Full Synthetic" Definition and Alternatives to Ford Products

SLF360 said:
I also use Castrol. Good brand, and sort of available..

Here is an interesting , albeit long and self promoting, discussion on "pure synthetic" oil labeling versus actual oil contents. Various brands, including Castrol are mentioned. I have read in numerous places about the superiority of 100% "PAO" (PolyAlphaOlefin) based stocks versus "wax stream" or "paraffin based" stocks. Polyol and Ester bases are also mentioned. I don't know this company's products at all, but the dialog is interesting.

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

In addition, details on "PAO" are available at:

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/P...ades_and_DataSheets/Syn_PAO_GradeOverview.asp

Whatever the case, unless you know exactly what the Ford product is, I wouldn't assume you can identify an exact replacement. If the Ford oil is truly 100% synthetic with no petroleum bases mixed in, and there is a reason for it, I wouldn't risk a $35,000 engine on anything else.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The owner's manual states that .....

..... full synthetic oil meeting Ford Specification WSS-M2C931 with a viscosity of 5W-50 must be used. Castrol Syntec 5W-50 meets this spec and is what I plan to use.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
ACRJoe said:
..... full synthetic oil meeting Ford Specification WSS-M2C931 with a viscosity of 5W-50 must be used. Castrol Syntec 5W-50 meets this spec and is what I plan to use.

I have always used Castrol, myself, but was surprized to read in more than one literature source that they were supporting parrafin stocks versus pure PAO for the "Full Synthetic" designation. Paraffin production is, as I understand, less expensive and produces very acceptable "even" molecular distribution from the "natural" paraffin base, versus almost "perfect" molecular distribution from the more expensive all synthetic process using PAO. If it meets the same spec, and if you change oil frequently, I don't know that it matters. But...meeting the same spec does not mean the oils are equal quality in the final analysis. After working with Ashland Oil's (Makers of Valvoline) Chemical Research Labs for a number of years in my youth, I can vouch for this! It would be nice to know who sources Ford's "Fully Synthetic" oil for this car. Maybe we could do better as far as ultimate quality is concerned; then again, maybe not.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
The 5w50 motorcraft oil for the GT (XO-5W50-QGT) meets specification WSS-M2C931-B. Here is the link to the motorcraft GT oil http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...0 Full Synthetic Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

I think the castrol 5w50 ONLY meets WSS-M2C931-A so it doesn't look like it is suitable for the GT. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933

Am I missing something? I haven't looked in the owners manual to see what is spec'ed, but i'd assume it is WSS-M2C931-B

The only other GT oil I could find in a quick search is Phillips 66 TropArtic Full synthetic. http://tds.econocophillips.com/catalogs/phillips66_product_catalog/automotive/66_Full Syn MO.pdf

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
DanQ said:
I haven't looked in the owners manual to see what is spec'ed, but i'd assume it is WSS-M2C931-B
The Owner's Manual specifies WSS-M2C931-A.

Last edited:

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
I had done some extensive research on the oil issue for the GT. One of my friends is an engineer that was involved with the GT program. It was his recommendation to use the Motorcraft oil since it was specifically blended/designed for this engine. Being a purist, I personally use whatever oil the manufacturer recommends. Some might argue that I am gullible but for me it is piece of mind.

I also was told that Conoco manufactures and packages the oil for Motorcraft. I was not able to find it available under any other label (than Motorcraft) and is apparently specially formulated for Ford.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Here is some discussion, for what it is worth, from our related Ford owners at the Shelby GT500 site ( www.fordgt500.com ):

FIRST:

In case you wanted to know, the actual specs numbers are:
WSS-M2C931-A - API SL, SAE 5W-50, FULL SYNTHETIC
WSS-M2C931-B : API SM, SAE 5W-50, FULL SYNTHETIC

I read on another board that the early owner's manuals referenced version A, but later ones seem to be referencing version B.

AND:

I just read the PDS for Castrol Syntec 5W-50, and it states, "Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended" even though the oil is certified to the WSS-M2C931-A specification and not the WSS-M2C931-B specification.

AND:

I talked to Castrol (they have a lot of ties with Ford) and they specifically told me and so did Ford that it is not approved by Ford at this time. Castrol expects to be approved by the middle of ...07. Some will think I am splitting hairs here but the reality of it is, if for any reason you have engine problems and did not meet there requirements for any reason (and they will ask for receipts) you void their warranty. I have gone over this subject extensively with the Factory rep (Ralph Arning), Castrol, Mobil 1 and the dealership. Take it for what it is worth, $18,000.

NOTE: I wonder why their engines are cheaper than ours?

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Another oil to think about

BlackICE

Full Synthetic for advanced engines
If you own a top of line vehicle, it makes sense to use the very finest oil you can get. One that can provide superior protection to its engine.

Quaker State® Full Synthetic for advanced engines is a uniquely formulated motor oil made up of a molecularly engineered synthetic motor oil and special additives to provide top protection and superior performance compared to conventional motor oils. And, Quaker State guarantees your engine with a 10-year/250,000 mile limited warranty, even if you change your own oil.

Compared to conventional oil, the Full Synthetic can:

• Lower oil consumption under high speed conditions
• Protect against harmful deposits and acids
• Provide faster lubrication at low-temperature startup
• Provide superior protection at high temperatures

Exceeds North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF, and/or ILSAC GF-4, GF-3 or GF-2 oils are specified. Also exceeds the ACEA performance specifications for European vehicles. Exceeds the GM 4718M high temperature specification and the GM 6094M low temperature specification. Is compatible with conventional motor oils. Check your owner's manual for the proper SAE grade.

See product data sheet for more technical information.

Available Grades: 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W30, 5W50

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/products/oil_fullsynthetic.asp