5.8 Liter 2013 Shelby GT-500 Confirmed

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Kendall for the Track Key update.:thumbsup
This is a busy season and undoubtedly my request just fell off the plate.

I value your technical opinion and had not heard how you were leaning regarding this option. Some like it; some do not.
I look forward to the Kooks dyno info as that may influence my future purchases.

Ralphie, I had to chuckle at your post on weight, which is correct. Weight is an important factor on the track and the long tube headers are lighter. But as we all know when we hear you go by, they are LOUD and just have to wonder if the weight factor or the unique loudness factor prevailed in your purchase.(?) Love to hear you go down a long straight! It certainly sounds like a full-up race car!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i want to get this motor in the 2013 super cobra jet with a 4.0L whipple. i bet it would make 1,000 crank horsepower with 20 lbs of boost and long tube headers only tuned for 110 octane race gas....

i would get the 2 speed auto trans + high stall converter and trans brake. then i would spray a 200 shot of nitrous in 2nd gear and run 8.0 @ 170 mph in in the 1/4 :biggrin

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...But as we all know when we hear you go by, they are LOUD and just have to wonder if the weight factor or the unique loudness factor prevailed in your purchase.(?) Love to hear you go down a long straight! It certainly sounds like a full-up race car!

Bill - Being one of the first purchasers of the FRPP rear exit headers, I had no idea of their loudness, until I had them installed. Needless to say, if I had heard them first, I definitely would have bought them. :wink My reason for the purchase was the FRPP claim that the rear exit headers in conjunction with the FRPP Power Upgrade would give an increase of 150 hp.

Yes - I too love the sound of them on the track - yet they can be so docile on the street. Thanks! :thumbsup

Last edited:
H

HHGT

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-prototype-ride-review

Before you ask, yes, Martindale has tried it with slicks in back, and, yes, it jumps off the line like John Force heading to the free buffet. Surprisingly, though, Martindale says that, properly heated by a good burnout, the stock Goodyears nearly match the slicks’ launch traction.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I want one bad.

Need to find a home for my never used 08' to make room for it though. :bored

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I want one bad.

Need to find a home for my never used 08' to make room for it though. :bored

I was at my local Ford dealer the other day. It appears that these cars are going to be 'popular', to say the least. Those that missed the GT in '05/'06, and are Mustang guys, are lining up for Job1 in late May. Edit: Or a bit earlier, as I have been subsequently advised...

Pricing should be interesting.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I was at my local Ford dealer the other day. It appears that these cars are going to be 'popular', to say the least. Those that missed the GT in '05/'06, and are Mustang guys, are lining up for Job1 in late May. Edit: Or a bit earlier, as I have been subsequently advised...

Pricing should be interesting.
:bored

I am willing to let the First on Block crowd run the showrooms. I will be patient and contact dealers across the country to find one who will order one for me at MSRP. The beauty of the internet. :biggrin

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Mustang/?branding=1&lang=en#/Models/Style[BodyStyle:BS-BJ]

$54,200 base, the performance package is $3495. Not bad.

H

HHGT

That's not much more that the 302LS. I also wonder if Ford's target was the Corvette owner all along and not necessarily the Camaro.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
It's ironic that the dealers don't have this pricing info yet.

I've talked with 3 today that I have been keeping in contact with, and they confirm having the order info, but no pricing yet.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
They should 'friend' Ford over on Facebook. Apparently it was up on F-book this afternoon.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Does anyone know an approximate production number expected?

I believe I read these were to be limited production? (maybe that's how it's been every year?)

What has been an average for previous years?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Does anyone know an approximate production number expected? What has been an average for previous years?

The first 3 years of GT500 production they were building about 10,000 a year. Production is lower than that now as they have gotten more expensive. I don't think that production will be limited by anything other than demand. That car is profitable for Ford to build and they are in business to sell autos & make money. I'd like to put a new GT500 in my garage.

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Does anyone know an approximate production number expected?

I believe I read these were to be limited production? (maybe that's how it's been every year?)

What has been an average for previous years?

I wouldn't buy based on any future collectability. They will make many thousands per year.

It could be worth something someday, because this is the close of this era and the next gen will be very different, but not enough to justify keeping it around in a bubble. There is also an extremely high probability this is the last GT500 Carroll Shelby will have personally blessed.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I wouldn't buy based on any future collectability. They will make many thousands per year.

It could be worth something someday, because this is the close of this era and the next gen will be very different, but not enough to justify keeping it around in a bubble. There is also an extremely high probability this is the last GT500 Carroll Shelby will have personally blessed.

Thanks for the info Dave and Chip!

I really wasn't thinking investment. I drive them, so that is usually effected anyway. While I have made money on some cars in the past, I always go in to it because I plan on enjoying the car, figure on it depreciating, and if it doesn't, that's just a plus.

I was more bouncing around the pricing as far as MSRP, above, probably never below?

This would actually be something my wife has said she'd drive. She's not really comfortable driving the GT and the Shelby would probably be a little more user friendly for her.

And while it's sad to consider, I had thought about the Carroll Shelby factor.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was more bouncing around the pricing as far as MSRP, above, probably never below?

This would actually be something my wife has said she'd drive. She's not really comfortable driving the GT and the Shelby would probably be a little more user friendly for her.

And while it's sad to consider, I had thought about the Carroll Shelby factor.

I don't think there's any real reason anyone should pay over MSRP on this car. Briefly up front in big markets maybe, but there will be plenty of dealers willing to go at sticker or below.

I will say that the car is just as fast as a Ford GT, so if it's speed that freaks her out, this won't help. Like a Ford GT, it is an animal in cool weather.

If my memory isn't shot, my buddy that is marketing manager for Mustang told me that Carroll's eyesight had gotten much better for a time during development and he actually drove this car. That's pretty amazing and I do think people will put some value on that.