5.8 Liter 2013 Shelby GT-500 Confirmed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No. There's going to be one more model year before the new car, so I expect they just might go out with a bang. Might be a half year. This is the 20th Anniversary for SVT though.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great, gives me time to find a home for my unused (400 mile) 08' GT500 :biggrin

H

HHGT

That is one great looking display & gauges.

Dave, do you know if the Steering Wheel is centered to the seat and driver or is it offset?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Love the gauges and the 7,000 rpm redline.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
need to talk them into a 60-130 on that dash:)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave, do you know if the Steering Wheel is centered to the seat and driver or is it offset?

Don't know. Whatever it is now I"m sure it's the same.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
need to talk them into a 60-130 on that dash:)

I'm definitely interested in using the new gauge stuff to see how it works. Will be curious to see how it compares to the actual timing lights at a drag strip.

Too bad they didn't click over one more screen to show the results like they did with the Boss gauges. :lol:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I'm definitely interested in using the new gauge stuff to see how it works. Will be curious to see how it compares to the actual timing lights at a drag strip.

Too bad they didn't click over one more screen to show the results like they did with the Boss gauges. :lol:

Yeah and that would of been aweseome and hurt some feelings in the GM camp, it will be fun to play with that's for sure....

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i am looking forward to seeing what the 2013 cobra jet is all about. i plan on buying a cobra jet in the future....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Can someone tell me the difference between the new Torsion Differential and the Traction-lok Differntial?

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Can someone tell me the difference between the new Torsion Differential and the Traction-lok Differntial?

On first glance I would say quality and that it works. I would assume that there is reason the H1 and Audi quattro have used Torsen diff for all these years. Its the Torsen diff that helped put the Ranger FX4 into 4wheel mag top all time 4x4 lineup. Digging deeper(google) I found this from Torsen: http://www.torsen.com/files/Torsen Traction Differential Technical Sheet.pdf

Many traction systems are reactive in nature, controlling traction by reducing power to the wheel. Torsen, on the other hand, provides traction management with maximum available power, making it more effective traction control system. And, unlike conventional limited-slip differential technologies, the Torsen Traction Differential is a "live" continuous-duty system, there is no slip or lag time. Instead, direct power(torque) is instantly transferred to the wheel with the most traction. Furthermore, there are no clutches to wear out. Engineered to endure, Torsen Traction Differential units will provide effective traction control for the life of the vehicle.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
OK first off I will spell it right from now on.

So could a guy retro fit his pre Torsen diff (traction-LOK) GT500 with a Torsen?

Thanks BTW

Last edited:

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I dont see why not? But I do not know for sure.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, Torsen replacement differentials have been available for the Ford 8.8 rear end for many years. Many of the 5.0 mustangs from the late 80s upgraded to them.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Specifically, the Torsen is a helical gear differential (no clutch packs). The Traction-lok has clutch packs. The Torsen is one of the best street differentials around. However, it cannot handle the shock loads from drag racing. I retrofitted one in my GT500 and it broke after about 20 passes with MT ET Streets, but it was awesome on the street. I highly recommend it unless you want to drag race. The Detroit Tru-Trac (also a helical gear diff but a little more robust but not as smooth) or a locker would be better for drag racing.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Specifically, the Torsen is a helical gear differential (no clutch packs). The Traction-lok has clutch packs. The Torsen is one of the best street differentials around. However, it cannot handle the shock loads from drag racing. I retrofitted one in my GT500 and it broke after about 20 passes with MT ET Streets, but it was awesome on the street. I highly recommend it unless you want to drag race. The Detroit Tru-Trac (also a helical gear diff but a little more robust but not as smooth) or a locker would be better for drag racing.

Great information, Thank you. (Sinovac, jcthorne and d bit) :thumbsup

And a Detroit Tru-Trac is compatible with the 8.8 I assume?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great information, Thank you. (Sinovac, jcthorne and d bit) :thumbsup

And a Detroit Tru-Trac is compatible with the 8.8 I assume?

Yes. If you intend to install a new differential in a GT500, consider new gears and a girdle too.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes. If you intend to install a new differential in a GT500, consider new gears and a girdle too.

Well, I have a 08' that I had a custom axle put together for. Moser shafts, C-clip eliminators & 3.73 gears original Traction-Lok and a Griggs lid with the girdle for the watt's link plate and propeller.

I have been so preoccupied with the GT and a construction project, I did not get it in yet. Car is still new.

I did not anticipate how much I would like the newest GT500, or for that matter the Boss 302 so now I am asking what I would need to do to this custom axle should I part with the 08' and get a 13'.

Thanks for all the input. :thumbsup

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Any word on job one?

H

HHGT