Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA

Aug 25, 2006
Things happen; I am glad to read that they took the issue serious

Shadowman

H

HHGT

I really feel for Ferrari (what a PR nightmare) and completely agree with Chris. This car screams good looks & performance. I wonder if the license plate "FIRE" is taken....

Now for anyone that decides to use the term; "FIT AND FINISH" I would say; SHUT-UP......

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I still want one, with the new heat shield...

H

HHGT

I wonder who is picking up the cost of replacement, Ferrari or the Insurance Companies?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wonder who is picking up the cost of replacement, Ferrari or the Insurance Companies?

You can bet insurance companies will try to recover any payouts due to F458 fires.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Every 458 produced will get this new part so call your dealer now and set up your appointment which of course is FREE OF CHARGE."

Well, one would certainly EXPECT so!!!!!!!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I love my 430 and the two 360's in my stable, but would gladly trade at least two in on a 458 (after they fix the exploding engine). My friend just traded his 430 in on one and abosolutely is smitten with the performance.

H

HHGT

"If necessary we will replace the heat-shield with a new heat-shield that is riveted to the wheel arch rather than attached with the adhesive."

GIVE ME A BREAK...... At $250k I WOULD DEMAND A REPLACEMENT...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/e...i.recall/?hpt=Sbin#fbid=ld6IbyqRQbw&wom=false

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So...they used that adhesive in only one place..............?

We will find out sooner or later

The adhesive used in my $99 Sears bar freezer even has a heat rating.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
"Heavy usage of the car, such as driving very fast down a twisty road or up a mountain, will increase the temperature inside the engine bay," she said.

"If that is combined with extremely high ambient temperatures, which has been the case throughout Europe especially this summer, then this will cause the deformation of the wheel arch, bringing it closer to the exhaust and causing the car to smoke or ignite

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........this is why no fires have been reported in Alaska.................

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
As for whether Ferrari will replace any 458 that burned because of the problem, the official reply was: "Of course."

Dear Ferrari,

I had a 458. It burned to ashes and blew away. I barely escaped with my life. I require a new one.

Your faithful customer,
"One Of 101"
P.S. The Title and receipt was in the glove box, too, so don't ask about that.

H

HHGT

As for whether Ferrari will replace any 458 that burned because of the problem, the official reply was: "Of course."

Dear Ferrari,

I had a 458. It burned to ashes and blew away. I barely escaped with my life. I require a new one.

Your faithful customer,
"One Of 101"
P.S. The Title and receipt was in the glove box, too, so don't ask about that.

Glad to hear... Was yours the one in London or Paris?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does that mean so many people are canceling their orders that I can buy one below MSRP without a wait?

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I still like the technology in the them. I saw one in person - I wasn't enamored with the front bumper area, nor the bulbous tail lights, but still overall it appears a very attractive car with some nice techno.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Ferrari recalls $230,000 458 Italia supercar
printsend
Buzz Up!
By Julianne Pepitone, staff reporter

Ferrari 458 Italia
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ferrari is recalling its new 458 Italia model after several vehicles were reported to have burst into flames.

A Ferrari spokesperson told CNNMoney.com the luxury supercar is being recalled in order to make modifications to the wheelhouse assembly.

"In rare instances the heat shield could become deformed, bringing it too close to the exhaust system and igniting," a Ferrari spokesperson said.

Ferrari is recalling all its 458 Italia vehicles after five fires were reported in California, Switzerland, China and France.

Deliveries of the car in the U.S. began this summer. It has a 4.5-liter 8-cylinder engine, 7-speed automatic transmission, 570 horsepower and has a base price around $230,000.

Ferrari said the company is asking owners of the cars produced before July 2010 to bring them in to have the glue replaced with mechanical fasteners.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released a statement saying Ferrari's Italian headquarters had told its North American division about the recall. NHTSA warned that if the adhesive ignites it could "render the vehicle inoperable and possibly result in a crash."

The NHTSA statement said 303 vehicles are being recalled, and owners could be eligible for reimbursement for if they spent money on repairs related to the problem before the recall was announced.

Ferrari North America will start notifying affected customers within two weeks, NHTSA said.

Last week, Britain's Sky News site said drivers of the 458 Italia were "fearing they are jinxed after 10 of the vehicles crashed or caught fire within three months ... It is not thought that the 458 design has a fault, just that the owners have been unusually unlucky."