345/30-19 rears

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Have anybody tried that size in any brand on the GT? (pictures would be great)
I know they are a bit low, but around corners a lower (and therefor stiffer) sidewall can only be an advantage...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It is smaller diameter, which effectively lowers your final drive ratio a bit, and creates a bigger fender gap. And makes your speedo read a little fast.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Almost 1.8" shorter in overall diameter. I'm not sure to so quickly agree that a shorter/stiffer sidewall is an advantage. JMO ICBW

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I am running 345/30-19 Invo's, I had to recalibrate the speedo with my Diablo tuner. At first I thought I felt a little difference because of the lower ratio, but you get used to it very quickly. As far as driving and looks I found no big difference. The major drawback has been the rear diffusers tend to drag a bit. When I get around to it I will trim them a 1/2 inch since they were a problem even before the change. Overall I found no real advantage to the change, just something a little different.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I agree with Ford that the OEM rear tire size does give the GT a retro look. Part of the link to the past thing. Low profile tires definitely are a modern look. I like the retro look. Looks more like the GT40s.

Ed

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
I've got 345's and they look and feel good except for older roads where there are "wear grooves" in the surface. The rear tires tend to steer the car. I would not go this route again.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I've been running 345/30ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on the rear of my car for the last 2-3 years, and 235/40ZR18 's on the front, also Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. I believe they are as close to a Hoosier as you can get, while still having a formed tread pattern, instead of a slick. They have 1/32" less tread than the OEM Goodyear F1 Eagles, so you won't get quite the milage. The rear of the car sits 3/4" lower than stock with these tires, and the front drops ½". This can be adjusted back to stock height with Penske shocks. I think they are an exceptional track tire, and yet are fully D.O.T. rated for the street, whereas the Hoosiers are really not intended for that application. I do this for insurance purposes - to keep the safety requirements of the car within legal limits (same for keeping on the rear bumper). They are a better track tire than Bridgestones - very sticky.

The TireRack will heat cycle them for you for a small additional charge.

Here's a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Raphie you must be running after market front wheels to accommodate the 19" front tires.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Raphie you must be running after market front wheels to accommodate the 19" front tires.

Sorry - 235/40ZR18's

PS - I also like the additional width of the rears - about an inch wider than the OEM Goodyears.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Raphie do you run the Sport cups in the snow?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Taking the chains on and off is easier with the smaller diameter. :)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Taking the chains on and off is easier with the smaller diameter. :)

:confused :lol :facepalm: :willy :frown

:cheers

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I agree with Ford that the OEM rear tire size does give the GT a retro look. Part of the link to the past thing. Low profile tires definitely are a modern look. I like the retro look. Looks more like the GT40s.Ed

Just my thought, thats why I would like to see if anybody had pictures of that setup.

But a lot of people go for the 19/20" wheels combos with 335/30-20 rear and that look good I Think.The reason for me asking is that I see that Hoosier does a R6 in 345/30-19 and I'm planning a 19x12 rear wheel, so I thought that could make the old Girl hook up even with TT power... hahaha

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have a 345 /20 rear, but overall height is the same as the stock rear setup...so only the width is wider.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah - your 19/20" ADV's looks really good, but I'm going for a 19" rear to be able to run Hoosiers. So if anybody has a picture of a 345/30-19 I would be very grateful... :thumbsup

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm not sure to so quickly agree that a shorter/stiffer sidewall is an advantage. JMO ICBW

Hmmm - can't see why that wouldn't be the case, even though we're talking small amounts in this case....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm just saying that the whole topic of tire and suspension design is a complex discipline and understood well by only a few (and I ain't one of them). I was recently with one such expert who climbed out of a (Honda) race car and remarked that he thought the car could be made a little faser on the the track with more caster and a little LESS tire width. Who woulda thunk it?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well if it was ice racing I kind of get it Kendall :lol

photos_news_course_super_besse-06-1.jpg