249.7 MPH Texas Mile Debut

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Hey Guys,

Had an awesome first outing with the FGT! Congrats and Kudos to all involved at the mile. What an amazing time...

We went out with the car with low expectations wanting to sort it out. The day before the event was the first time it was driven. We had not been able to tune the car on the dyno which proved to make setting the boost very difficult with our Motec system. Needless to say a huge thankyou and nod of respect go out to Naoto our tuner... he is truly a tuning genius...

Our first time out with a completely new turbo combination, engine management system and wheel and brake setup gave slight cause for concern especially given the fact that we didn't drive the car until the day before the mile event...

We tuned the car on the access road the first day of the event... no abs, no traction control, no launch control, no idle control.... time to shake it down...

Jason and I talked about letting out at the 3/4 mile mark and seeing how everything felt.. Bear in mind we had a completely new (for this car) brake and wheel combo that hadn't been tested at speed... an untested chute for backup :)

first pass we ran base boost running on the wastegate springs... shifting at 5000 rpm and ran through the gears... car felt so good I ran it to about the 7/8 mile mark before letting out and coasted through the traps at 222.2 mph... Exactly the same speed we worked our asses off in 2007 with the same car (different combo and Gary J driving) to attain... WOW!

we decided to check the data and attempt to tune the car a little more before pushing the car anymore and that ended our first day...

by the time we got into the line the next day we didn't get a run in until just about noon... we decided to make a full pass on waste gate springs shifting at approximately 6000 rpm and see what it would do... just as I shifted into 5th gear I noticed something out of the corner of my eye and saw coolant spraying in the engine bay. I lifted and coasted through the mile at 168 mph... We noticed upon inspection that a coolant hose had blown off... that's when we discovered the need for the Ford GT coolant vacuum tool that we didn't have. Put that on the list for the race trailer. By the time we got all the air out of the system it was after 5pm before we could make another run....

we decided to stay on the same plan and run it through on wastegate springs.... 229.8 MPH!!!!!

we checked the data and everything looked good so we decided to run the same power level but rev it at designed rpm shifting at just over 7000 rpm... 233.5 MPH at 7pm... done for the night...

The next morning proved to be perfect cool weather sporting a nice tailwind. NICE!

We ran our first run at approximately 9:30am with a couple lbs of boost added to the map. With not having dyno data to set the boost map up it is not a simple matter of adding 2 or 3 lbs of boost. Our tuner had to make the map based on knowledge and experience... 239.8 MPH!!!!

We were able to repeat one more run before lunch utilizing the same parameters and squeezed off a 246.2 MPH!!!!

After the lunch break we went out after reviewing the data and made another run. 249.7 MPH!!!!!!!! So CLOSE HAHAHA

The car felt absolutely incredible!!!! NAOTO!!! NEED MORE BOOST HAHA

We were still running WAY WAY under designed and planned for boost levels!!!

On the last run trying to break our 250 MPH mark the lack of testing prior to the event finally got us. Pulling HARD at the 3/4 mile marker the motec cut out causing us to coast through at 245 MPH.... What a weekend!!!!

For our first time out with this combo... my first time at the Texas Mile, first time playing with the Motec we met every goal we set out to meet and then some.
Currently after a very long and exciting weekend, it is late and we are all quite tired so I will just post this video and comment with details and photos tomorrow...

I have to say a HUGE THANKS to Jason Heffner, T.J and the crew at Heffner Performance for building such an awesome machine, Naoto for his Tuning Mastery, John for the monster bullet proof powerplant, DBK, B.M.F, James, Mike, Mullet, SAGT, Chip, Kirk Swartz, Richard Freeman and David Weaver for getting us in the mile event! I know there are many others that worked hard to get us here and thanks to you as well! :cheers

And finally to SW (StreetKing) for setting the bar with his Supra and giving us something to shoot for :biggrin

What an amazing weekend watching all the GTs kick it in gear at the Mile!!!

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Last edited:

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Congrats:cheers
Way to go on an untested combo,amazing workmanship has gone into your GT to be able to do this,
Neil:cheers:cheers:thumbsup:cheers.
get some rest and enjoy

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
That was sick. Nicely done.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I love this forum more and more every day.

I almost started crying watching that video.

Congrats and thank you for sharing. :thumbsup

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Can't wait to see that beast hit 260. Congrats Ray.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Incredible :thumbsup

:cheers
Anders

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Well done man. Looking forward to your next outing already! :cheers

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Congrats Ray.

Isn't it a great feeling when everything comes together?........THAT'S why we suit up and do this great event.

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
Great write up.

By all indications this beast has a lot more in it and look forward to seeing it perform again. :thumbsup

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Ray, thanks for sharing!!! I can't wait to see what that beast can unleash once it's fully dialed in. Wow, she sounds absolutely amazing!!! So cool.

Congrats on the runs. You're gonna be top dawg soon. I sure hope so.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That's hauling the mail brotha. You make us proud. I gotta brag about this video on some Supra forums.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Great work, Ray!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Great job guys !

05fordgt

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2009
Nice run Ray.

That thing sounds like a beast in person made all the other cars including mine sound stock.

I did not get a chance to talk to you much as you looked busy getting the car sorted out.

ONCE AGAIN GOOD JOB!

260 HERE WE COME!!!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
nice video and congrats on the 249 mph run :cheers i see that your shift light came on in 5th gear as you crossed the finish line. i assume you hit 7500 rpm's in 5th gear?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ray maybe I should know this but can you tell us about the motor?
I mean is it still the Ford GT motor or some big bore billet wazoo drive train?

The more I watch this I have to remind myself this is 1 mile not Bonneville.

Just un-real.

I saw the stop photo of the car at speed and could see the front pitched up and thought how could it be so stable with all that air packing under the car???????? Just Wow Ray that is all I can say is WOW

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great Job Ray & Team !!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ray maybe I should know this but can you tell us about the motor?
I mean is it still the Ford GT motor or some big bore billet wazoo drive train?

The more I watch this I have to remind myself this is 1 mile not Bonneville.

Just un-real.

I saw the stop photo of the car at speed and could see the front pitched up and thought how could it be so stable with all that air packing under the car???????? Just Wow Ray that is all I can say is WOW

Stock Block and Heads,100% stock trans and axles. Ray can fill ya in on the rest if he would like too....
Congrats and what a awesome weekend:cheers

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Stock Block and Heads,100% stock trans and axles. Ray can fill ya in on the rest if he would like too....
Congrats and what a awesome weekend:cheers

might want to get some stub shaft output axles from Performance Products. I snapped my stock ones with a 1000 hp burnout on dry pavement.

Just looking out for the car.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ray and Crew, Congratulations on the weekend. It was good to see you in Goliad. Man what a combination. The video showing the rear view with the great sound is breathtaking. Man I'll watch it many more times with the sound turned up. Here's looking forward to seeing you many more times at speed competitions. Jason is unbelievable in his setup. Tomy Hamon PS You'll hit 265 soon! Keep Hauling A-- buddy.

Last edited: