2023 ZO6. Wow. 670 hp NA, 8600 redline

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
670 hp NA with 8600 redline. Now that sounds fun. Bravo Chevrolet!!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
670 hp NA with 8600 redline. Now that sounds fun. Bravo Chevrolet!!

NFGT would be a 2million dollar car all day long with that engine and the looks it has! That's some serious na power from 5.4 liters

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
It is no Ford GT, but is probably going to be the best ICE Corvette produced!

Reactions: digman1

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I have to say I’m envious of the sound and rpms!!

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
meh.....I will pass.The styling still has not grown on me much.

Reactions: Stef and 2112

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It sounds great.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"...but is probably going to be the best ICE Corvette produced!

...until the 1,200-1,400 horse T.T. 'Zora' is released anyway (if it ever is).
'Depends on one's definition of "best", I guess. ;-)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That engine is absolutely incredible. I still can't stand the car aesthetically.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The rear view of the C8 definitely is the weakest aspect for me

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The largest displacement flat plane crank engine ever. It is incredible.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Engine details

I remain skeptical of large displacement FPC V8s.

FPC V8s are physics-ally impossible. The nature of the beast is vibrations due to mechanical couplings. The problem gets worse as displacement increases. The answer is counterbalancing. Note that the GT350 actually had dangling weight pouches off the exhaust near the catalytic converters. The fact that balancing required going beyond the engine itself was the reason Ford never offered the engine as a component.

GM also extended vibration-proofing beyond the engine. They transferred some of the responsibility to external pieces by stiffening them, e.g., the transaxle. And then by basically saying "we've done as much as we can and we're sure that the remaining vibrations will please the public as part of 'what it is'". We'll see. If the instruction manual says you'd better wear a dental night guard expect teeth-chattering vibrations.

Speaking of crate engines, did you see the new GM Behemoth?

Reactions: 2112

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
meh.....I will pass.The styling still has not grown on me much.

C8 is amazing car, but it is unfortunate they were stuck on "making it look like a Corvette" instead of "making it look amazing" like the slower Lotus Emira (a Cayman competitor) that I have on order.
emira flipped.jpg

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Looks don't do it for me. Heading down a bumpy road with that engine, sure would not to be one of the first to take delivery!

Reactions: nautoncall

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
C8 is amazing car, but it is unfortunate they were stuck on "making it look like a Corvette" instead of "making it look amazing" like the slower Lotus Emira (a Cayman competitor) that I have on order.
View attachment 64453

Whoa. I’m very interested in your impressions of that car. My wife nearly got an Evora before she decided on a C7 Grand Sport.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Engine details

FPC V8s are physics-ally impossible. The nature of the beast is vibrations due to mechanical couplings. The problem gets worse as displacement increases. The answer is counterbalancing. Note that the GT350 actually had dangling weight pouches off the exhaust near the catalytic converters. The fact that balancing required going beyond the engine itself was the reason Ford never offered the engine as a component.

GM also extended vibration-proofing beyond the engine. They transferred some of the responsibility to external pieces by stiffening them, e.g., the transaxle. And then by basically saying "we've done as much as we can and we're sure that the remaining vibrations will please the public as part of 'what it is'". We'll see. If the instruction manual says you'd better wear a dental night guard expect teeth-chattering vibrations.

I get it. I raised my eyebrows when I saw the number of weights hanging off the GT350.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

+1

That surprised me. Shops (especially Marine Engine builders) have been building them for years, I was suprised GM would want to wade into these waters.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
View attachment 64453
Stunningly beautiful! Lotus has always had great designs.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Large bore and short stroke will make it have a lot less vibration than a gt350 has. 14mm less stroke is a lot!

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
This engine is naturally aspirated, I think the Zora is expected to be over 800hp using twin turbo-chargers and will have associated lag.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Lag is good for traction at that HP level.
Trust me, I know!
Best,
Mark

Reactions: RPM217 and PeteK