2006 Tungsten Ford GT - modifying

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
One of the biggest reasons I am planning to install methanol injection is to increase octane rating. Plus it will eliminate detonation. Basically a safe guard for us who cannot get high test fuel.

I will do the install myself - so not cost there.

Torrie will provide the best tunes.

I look forward to your results, :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Be careful, several of our members have done some mods that have forced engine rebuilds. Your dealing with a very strong power plant to begin with.

I just looked at the video, and would not let those guys with a mile of my car...

Aug 25, 2006
After much consideration as well as off line conversations I want to share a partion of that which I recently shared for everyone to ponder

"Takes" care

Shadowman

"In any case; there is no doubt that the heart of these gals is very stout and even though they can and do take much use and even abuse there are limits. Now in the case of the gal’s heart that I was inside; there was a mechanical issue that contributed to the failure which was certainly compounded by the fact that the tune was not OEM and then last but not least the robust exhaust sealed the deal because on the extreme end detonation was not being recognized until the results were sadly realized.

I can offer no excuses but rather I always make clear to all that in even OEM configuration there is risk however for the initial portion of the gal’s service life this risk is accepted by the OEM which in this case is Ford via the warranty however once one elects to change the architecture of the gal then the risk often times increases and even more so becomes the responsibility of the new puppet-master and in this case Ford is no longer in the risk management business when associated with this gal.

For example; on a good day we can move a nitro gal 1000 feet with only modest damage and on other days we cannot even get out of the box or even worse leave a trail of parts along the way but then as the puppet-master we know that this is component of this game as well as the cost of admission when entering this arena; as they say “if you play you pay”.

Most folks understandably want perfect bubble packed extreme performance options with no associated risk and sadly many are lead to believe that this is possible through the process of being presented with evidence of another having done something similar with no known issues however what most folks fail to realize is that the OEM does relentless testing using a myriad of variables however most tuners only focus on a few variables at best and then someone does a like kind conversion that has been successful for others and finds catastrophic failure; why? In most cases it can be traced to the usage and the fact that it was different when compared to those that survived as such entered an area/introduced a variable that simply had not been tested.

Lastly and back to the video; as soon as the question was presented to the tuner regarding whether the methanol injection cooled the charge temperature to which he in a IMO PT Barnum fashion said ….. probably 20 degrees or so I said to myself; what the heck he did not even do a thermal efficiency test aka no empirical data as such I quietly shook my head and ended the video"

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Ok, here is why you may NOT want to spray upstream of the supercharger. I know it is easy to access and most tinkers would want to try this possibly first, but IMO it is illadvised.

The screw lobes on our supercharger undoubtedly have sealing material on the apexs of the screws which enable sealing with the case in which they turn. Also the two screws are simply supported by two shafts with two bearings each. The bearings are likely sealed but are not designed with the intention of having alcohol washed around them. Likewise for the apex seals between the rotating screws and the supercharger case. To inject a petroleum product into this rotating machinery when it is operating at high speed may wash seal material and residual oils off internal surfaces which are necessary and required for operations at these high output conditions.

I would not recommend this option. Playing around with the most expensive component in our car is obviously the owner's choice. And owners seeking to increase engine power try new and sometimes crazy things all the time. If you really need more than 550 BHP out of the engine, Jason Heffener's (a Forum Sponsor) Twin Turbo (TT) combination is a very nice setup and will give your car plenty more power if that is your desire. Note, I have no affiliation with promoting Jason's TT package and I am sure there are others equally potent. I have just seen his package on DBK's as well as the Heffener/Camilo FGT auctioned at Las Vegas and was impressed with the installation and Jason's attention to detail.

There is zero problems running fuel, oil, methanol, methanol/water, ethanol, etc. into the supercharger. The fact is that the rear bearings will never see the methanol unless the methanol gets sprayed when the motor is idiling or not running. The vacuum and air motion going into the SC is dramatic enough that only vapors can get to the rear bearing. The front bearings have double lip seals that prevent anything from getting to them. Liquid in fact helps increase the compressors performance in many area's, first it works as a sealing agent, closing the clearances which increases efficiency (industrial compressors are run with no gears and just oil between the rotors). Second, there is certainly a cooling effect from a liquid, whether it's an actual phase change or just the heat of vaporization (cooler liquid absorbs heat), the air charge does cool down. Methanol of course has incredible cooling properties.

Just wanted to clear up some of that.

Thanks,
Dustin Whipple

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Be careful, several of our members have done some mods that have forced engine rebuilds. Your dealing with a very strong power plant to begin with.

I just looked at the video, and would not let those guys with a mile of my car...

I definitely have no intentions of dealing with them.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
There is zero problems running fuel, oil, methanol, methanol/water, ethanol, etc. into the supercharger. The fact is that the rear bearings will never see the methanol unless the methanol gets sprayed when the motor is idiling or not running. The vacuum and air motion going into the SC is dramatic enough that only vapors can get to the rear bearing. The front bearings have double lip seals that prevent anything from getting to them. Liquid in fact helps increase the compressors performance in many area's, first it works as a sealing agent, closing the clearances which increases efficiency (industrial compressors are run with no gears and just oil between the rotors). Second, there is certainly a cooling effect from a liquid, whether it's an actual phase change or just the heat of vaporization (cooler liquid absorbs heat), the air charge does cool down. Methanol of course has incredible cooling properties.

Just wanted to clear up some of that.

Thanks,
Dustin Whipple

Thanks for the clarification Dustin :thumbsup

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Sub-woofer and seats removed.

32748250020_large.jpg

32748250019_large.jpg

32748250018_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Getting ready to install a new rubber gasket on the front engine access cover. Thanks to Shadowman for hooking me up with the gasket.

32748250021_large.jpg

32748250022_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Before I picked up my car I paid the dealer to install a Ford Racing short shifter of which he said was installed. However the purchase of my GT did not go well. Needless to say I didn't trust him. So I thought I should check to see if it was installed. Guess what I found out? The short shifter was never installed!

Here are pics of the stock shifter before I removed it.

32748250023_large.jpg

32748250024_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
So I purchased the Ford Racing short shifter and installed it myself.

32748250027_large.jpg

Here is a side by side comparison of the stock shifter with the new short shifter in front. Notice the difference in height of the blue support legs. The stock shifter has shorter support legs and the short shifter has longer support legs.

In a nutshell the short shifter has longer support legs. This moves the shifter pivot point higher on the shift lever which reduces the throw.

32748250025_large.jpg

Short shifter installed.

32748250026_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Short shifter assembly installed back into the car. Preparing to install center console.

32748250028_large.jpg

32748250029_large.jpg

THANK YOU SHADOWMAN FOR YOUR GUIDANCE WITH THE INSTALL!!

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Here are pictures of the stock muffler that came on the GT. It is the long rectangular aluminum looking piece.

I will be removing the muffler because I am installing a set of Stainless Works headers.

32748250030_large.jpg

32748250031_large.jpg

32748250032_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Muffler removed.

32748250034_large.jpg

32748250035_large.jpg

32748250033_large.jpg

Guess how much it weighs?? 60 lbs!!!

32748250036_large.jpg

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Exhaust manifolds, converters and tips.

32748250039_large.jpg

32748250038_large.jpg

32748250037_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
I'll tell you one thing, you have to be a CONTORTIONIST to remove the exhaust manifolds! There is almost no room at all to get in there and wrench.

Here are pics with the manifolds removed.

32748250041_large.jpg

32748250040_large.jpg

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Stock exhaust completely removed.

32748250042_large.jpg

32748250043_large.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What happen to the exhaust tips and cat? It appears you used a Sawzall on it.

32748250038_large.jpg

32748250037_large.jpg

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I'll tell you one thing, you have to be a CONTORTIONIST to remove the exhaust manifolds! There is almost no room at all to get in there and wrench.

You think this is tight, try stopping by my place when I am doing this on one of my '69-'70 Mach 1 428SCJs or better yet the '70 B9. You have tons of space in the GT.
Did frustration win out to spawn the use of the sawzall? Remember you can't cut stuff to get it back in. :biggrin

:cheers
Trent

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Jason, nice project!!! Don't worry the snow it is melting.
John
Did you use the rubber or solid mounts on the shifter???

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
You think this is tight, try stopping by my place when I am doing this on one of my '69-'70 Mach 1 428SCJs or better yet the '70 B9. You have tons of space in the GT.
Did frustration win out to spawn the use of the sawzall? Remember you can't cut stuff to get it back in. :biggrin

:cheers
Trent

LOL!! :lol Yup, it was much easier to use a zip disk to remove the muffler. I chose the zip disk route because I was the only one doing the work. Didn't have an assistant. Man is that sucker heavy! :eek