1200 hp supercharger for gt

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
For those in quest for more hp. A Ford resource person has brought this to my attention.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/BigHorn.pdf

The question is can the gt take it? Turbos do not put a sudden strains on all the components as a supercharger does. So 1000 hp from turbos is a little different than a supercharger thanks to turbo lag. A supercharger I suspect would twist things violently at start and may surpass the elastisity of some components and cause deformation ,fatigue or even breakage. That is the one reason that porsche has stuck to turbos. Question is where are the GT's limits as they have not yet been tested.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
This could be interesting. But I feel there is gonna be a HEAT issue......

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They didn't say what type of gas was used. Note the lack of any accessories on the drive belts. I bet it was super high octane gas with HP numbers optimistically given at the crank.

Put a 3.3L Whipple with free flow headers, air box no cats, muffers, alternator, C16 gas and 23 PSI and I think the crank HP will be close or more.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Hmmm...

+1. There seem to be a number of relaxed constraints in this writeup. I can't comment on a comparison with any other product but standalone, the pressure/octane issue, the accessory issue, the continuous cooling challenge makes this look like a one-hit wonder. To be fair, there was no explicit claim to the contrary, but supporting vendors on this forum have set the expectation of real-world continuous performance.

They didn't say what type of gas was used. Note the lack of any accessories on the drive belts. I bet it was super high octane gas with HP numbers optimistically given at the crank.

Put a 3.3L Whipple with free flow headers, air box no cats, muffers, alternator, C16 gas and 23 PSI and I think the crank HP will be close or more.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kenny Bell snouts have seemed to have a problem for our cars, plus, the Shelby blocks are iron and wet sump.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
A supercharger I suspect would twist things violently at start and may surpass the elastisity of some components and cause deformation ,fatigue or even breakage. That is the one reason that porsche has stuck to turbos. Question is where are the GT's limits as they have not yet been tested.

Canuck-
Good layman's terms but not really accurate.

Turbochargers and superchargers do the same thing. They increase induction pressure above atmospheric to get more oxygen (and attending fuel) into the combustion process. The time constants for each are different with a supercharger bringing in pressure faster due to its mechanical linkage with the engine rotation while the turbo must wait for the increased engine mass flow to spool up the turbine to build compressor inlet pressure.

As to the "violently at start" comment, this just recognizes the time disparity in the two systems. And engines can be designed for these loads. Note AA fuel dragsters and funny cars all use superchargers (not turbos) and can take the violent start and many FGT owners have converted their supercharged MOD5.4 engines to twin turbo units running significantly higher inlet pressures than the OE supercharger produces. Many of these stock engines with TT's now put out close to 1,000 hp on OE crank, rods and pistons. A true testament to the superior hardware the Ford team designed and built into our engines.

But there obviously comes a point where the engine design safety margins can and will be exceeded. The guys running TT's and Wipples have "eaten" into the engine design margins, but the typical duty cycle of our engine in the GT is generally light. Except for those who track their car which some do but generally a small percentage. And those owners with modified engines tracking their cars should expect mechanical failures (car or engine) as the OE GT was designed for only limited track use.

1000 hp TT's are currently running on the street with no difficulties that I am aware. How much time can you spend demanding that level of power on a street car? But at some point 1200, 1400, 1500hp output power available, internal engine strength will be exceeded and failures ensue.

Last edited:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I appreciate the comments and info. Turbos do seem to be working well.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I appreciate the comments and info. Turbos do seem to be working well.

Most definitely headed towards 34000 miles on my car.

H

HHGT

I know Jim Bell very well. If anyone needs any help or would like to contact him, if your interest is sincere, please let me know.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Read the article, This motor has 10to1 compression,i know the cams are huge as i know who built the motor and the timing to make 1174 was 24 degrees with 26lbs of boost. This article is totally unrealistic and the inlet temps that this would generate with the boost and compression would be crazy in a car, i don't know how it would live ever in a car being pulled 1st through 5th gear.