1/4 Mile GT Record! Worlds fastest?

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
:What is the fastest time run by a GT in the 1/4 mile? Is it still Joe's car on nitrous? What about all of the Whipple and twin turbo guys? I just cant believe that messy 1/4 mile attempt with Joe's car twin turboed is it. Do these cars just make a big number but can not perform? Thanks for your input. Kurt

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Isnt camillos run somewhere up there too :biggrin gtjoey 1314

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
so there hasnt been one in the 9s yet?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
so there hasnt been one in the 9s yet?

THAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN THEY MAKE TIRES OUTTA SUPER GLUE.:lol

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The yellow Diablosport Terminator from Strictly Performance got down to 8.3. You would think that a car with the drivetrain over the rear wheels could at least make 9s.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Great times are difficult with the requirement for a roll bar in a car that will not accommodate one and you only get one pass before being thrown off the track. Joe bogged down at launch and ran a 10.44. If he had been allowed a second pass, he could likely have been in the 9's.

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Great times are difficult with the requirement for a roll bar in a car that will not accommodate one and you only get one pass before being thrown off the track. Joe bogged down at launch and ran a 10.44. If he had been allowed a second pass, he could likely have been in the 9's.

Kirby,
Do you know what MPH Joe ran on that pass?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
144mph.

You're just not going to see much in the way of dragstrip results because people won't take this car to the track that much. It's not cheap, it has no TC, it's mid-engine, it's nearly impossible to replace...Same reasons you don't find Gallardo or F430 track times. Drag racing is fun for a while ( I completely burned myself out about 3 years ago), but if you want to build a pure drag car, you'd be much better off to buy a Viper. That's not to say it's not extremely easy to turn the GT into a car that will reliably turn massive trap speeds, it's just not what most people bought it for.

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
144mph.

You're just not going to see much in the way of dragstrip results because people won't take this car to the track that much. It's not cheap, it has no TC, it's mid-engine, it's nearly impossible to replace...Same reasons you don't find Gallardo or F430 track times. Drag racing is fun for a while ( I completely burned myself out about 3 years ago), but if you want to build a pure drag car, you'd be much better off to buy a Viper. That's not to say it's not extremely easy to turn the GT into a car that will reliably turn massive trap speeds, it's just not what most people bought it for.

Thanks for the input I have allready had 4 vipers. The fastest one went mid 9's. Pump gas on all of them. I am not looking for a all out drag car. I just want to be able to run mid 10's, go over 200mph, and daily drive on pump gas. Do you think that is to much to ask? As for the cost mine was the blue and white at the BJ dinner so I have figured out they are not cheap.:lol

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
9's on pump gas with a GT???

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Just out of curiousity, can you fit 16" wheels on the back of a GT?

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
No, but you can fit 17's with M&H's....

As for the 9 sec pass, all I can say for now is, stand by....

TonY G

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks for the input I have allready had 4 vipers. The fastest one went mid 9's. Pump gas on all of them. I am not looking for a all out drag car. I just want to be able to run mid 10's, go over 200mph, and daily drive on pump gas. Do you think that is to much to ask?

Yeah, I'm not saying you don't know those things, but you asked if they just put up big numbers but couldn't perform. Because of the aforementioned reasons it's extremely unlikely we'll ever get to know what the real straight line limits are. How many GT's have ever seen a dragstrip? I'd be stunned if it was anything over double digits, or close. How many have more than 5 passes?

It'll already go substantially over 200, and if you want mid tens all it's going to take is a pulley/tune and a couple passes. I know Jamie puts his on the track, and I think he went 11.2@135 on his one and only pass. Either tires or a few practice runs are going to put that far into the tens in a hurry. Either way, it's not going to require anything more than pump gas.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Seems to me that Tony and the boys are going to find out pretty soon.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What she'll do!!

Seems to me that Tony and the boys are going to find out pretty soon.

The thought of winding up the $40,000 V8 in my GT and dumping the clutch makes me cringe. Kind of like taking out Nicole Kidman and then having an entire football team gang rape her to "see what she'll do".:ack Just how will "that young lady perform?" Perhaps with some "accessories and a few mods, she'll do even better, perhaps two teams!!":banana No thanks, I'll read about somebody else seeing what his "will do".:biggrin

Chip

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
I think the best example of what a GT can do is right here
http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/2TTGT-2-ROE.wmv

Notice how Joe's GT catches up to Jimmy's 650hp cobra (silver). Jimmy's cobra should be running mid/high 10's in the 1/4 with his HP number.

I'm sure it's going to be at a track soon!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I don't know if dumping the clutch on a traction limited car like the GT is the most effective launch technique. What I've seen with 700hp is to slip the clutch a little to avoid tire spin. You also have to be easy on the pedal until 3rd gear or 4th gear.

Talking about performance, I just read that the Veyron did a 0-100-0 in 9.9 seconds. Pretty amazing for a 4,000+ weight car.

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
The thought of winding up the $40,000 V8 in my GT and dumping the clutch makes me cringe. Kind of like taking out Nicole Kidman and then having an entire football team gang rape her to "see what she'll do".:ack Just how will "that young lady perform?" Perhaps with some "accessories and a few mods, she'll do even better, perhaps two teams!!":banana No thanks, I'll read about somebody else seeing what his "will do".:biggrin

Chip

why own it if you're not going to drive it like it's supposed to be? :ack

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
bump

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
why own it if you're not going to drive it like it's supposed to be? :ack

'Gotts tuh agree with ol' Chip on this'un. There's just no need to SHOW the car can do this or that just for the benefit of proving something to someone who won't be financing the bill for any damage that results. Besides, dumping the clutch in a high RPM 'drag race start' is NOT driving it "like it's supposed to be." The GT is a road racer ... NOT a drag car (even though it'll 'hold it's own in THAT department too - despite it's tall gearing!!!!!:lol )