1-2 shift grind...

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Hey guys, just got my GT, and it is one hell of a car. I did notice an annoying characteristic that happened to me 3 times today. A slight grind in shifting from 1-2. Is there a fix for this? It only happened a few times throughout the day, but I am concerned that the synchros may be in need of attention. Any thoughts?

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
i will tel you what i think..

my particular gt has gone thru 4 clutches the first 2 were stock and the second 2 were race type..

i am with firm belief that my stock clutches were slipping from day 1.. not by much but little by little all the time... then i went to a custom carbon clutch and now realize what a really engagedclutch feels like...

therefore i would not b surprised that your synchros and not meshing in time..

while totally stock have the syncros checked out under warranty.

my third clutch was a ceramic clutch and it was too grippy.

work in progress on the 5th clutch... granted now i tend to race quite a bit and the car has 3700 miles...

JOE :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look at the old threads and archives concerning this. Many owners have had this, seems to be age and temp related.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Shift

Glax..
Many of us have the same problem. Happens to most of us only when the engine/trans are cold. Seems to go away after everything warms up. I have found shifting slow when it is cold helps and also do a few shift from 1st to second while you are sitting when you first get into it, seems to align the syncros and helps the problem.

Enjoy your car!!!
Don

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't know if the grinding noise is doing damage to the syncros, but I try to avoid it. I best suggestion on the forum is from SLF360. He suggested to skip the shift to 1st to 2nd and go to 1st to 3rd when the tranny is cold. The problem does go away when things warmup.

When I do that I feel like I am driving a Vette with the forced 1st to 4th shift during slow acceleration.

BlackICE

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys. This seems to make sense. I didn't realize the tranny needed so much time to warm up. But hearing your advice puts me at ease.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Oops, I should have said, damage to the dogs not syncros. Anyway if you a gear head like myself check out this webpage for how shifting works. My guess is the noise cannot be doing anything good for the dogs!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm

Piko6 please keep us up to date on what the best clutch is for the GT.

BlackICE

Last edited:

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
Ya, mine does the some untill it gets properly warmed. I just take it real easy on her until she's up to temp. The skip second is a great idea! I will start doing that...

f430

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2006
Clax said:
Thanks for the advice guys. This seems to make sense. I didn't realize the tranny needed so much time to warm up. But hearing your advice puts me at ease.

Didnt you have the same thing in your f cars? I noticed it in the 360 (temp below 45-50 degrees )

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
I had the F1 trans in my F cars. I never heard of this on the 6-spd F cars, I'll have to ask around.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Any New Info

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just was wondering if there were any new insights or solutions that have come up for the 1 - 2 shift problem.

My car now has 1500 miles on it, and before I go anywhere I still start it a couple of minutes ahead of time and it idle so it warm up so I have less of a shift problem. Supposedly it was an issue that may go away with some miles.

Yes it improves when the car warms up, but I can't honestly say it ges completely away and that I am not worried about a quick 1- 2 shift.

Anything new along this line that anyone is aware of? Anyone with this problem actually get it "fixed"?

Does the same issue still occur with the new 2006 cars? If not, anyone know what the difference is? Would like to hear from some 06 guys.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For those that still have this problem, is you clutch enagement point just barely off the floor. In other words, when you are at a dead stop, how far out does you clutch pedal have to trave toward you before the first noticeable engagement? I suggest to be on a very level and smooth surface, and try to let the clutch pedal up 1/8" at a time, pausing at each step and see when the car will start to inch forward.

What I'm thinking is that if it is VERY close to the floor, perhaps your clutch is dis-engaging 99% of the way but not quite completely.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have found when I start the car and run it i travel about 1/2 in first gear(not running over 3000RPM) and then it shifts easily. I have the same problems in my vintage Alfas. I tried some "teflon" aditives and it seems to help the old tired synchros. Any thoughts?

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
AZGT said:
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just was wondering if there were any new insights or solutions that have come up for the 1 - 2 shift problem.

Does the same issue still occur with the new 2006 cars? If not, anyone know what the difference is? Would like to hear from some 06 guys.

AZGT: In answer to your question about the '06 cars, my '06 has the same problem shifting from 1-2 until it is warm. I've put about 1000 miles on it in the 4 weeks that I've owned it. The problem seems to be improving although it still shifts better when warm. In any event the problem is not unique to the 2005 cars.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Cold Shifting 1-2

The first to 3rd works well. Thanks to lots of way down torque.

How ever if you used the old double clutch method of shifting, 1st to 2nd is very effective.

The way I look at it, a cold transmission needs to be shifted slowly and correctly. The same goes for the engine. A car with a cold engine needs to be driven carefully until it is warm. Take it easy and let it warm up.

Just don't hammer it or shift quickly. Your car will love you for it.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
piko6 said:
i am with firm belief that my stock clutches were slipping from day 1.. not by much but little by little all the time...

therefore i would not b surprised that your synchros and not meshing in time..

EXACTLY! THIS MAN IS 110% ON THE MONEY! I realized this was going on when I was at a lite, clutch fully depressed when I tried to put the car in 1st it was tough, but when it did go, the car lurched forward (just a little), thats when I realized that the clutch was not fully disengaging!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Syncros?

Thanks guys.

Interesting that it is still in the 06s.

I agree with the general analyses and they are all logical - some type of adjustment or volume issue.

However, even with those ideas or the idea that the clutch has continuous slippage, why only the 1 - 2 shift? Every time I think I come up with a logical solution, that question comes back - why only 1 - 2? What ever the problem is, why does it not effect the other changes? It does appear to be gear specific.

I still think there is a tolerance issue somewhere in the 1 - 2 alignment (sliders) or syncros. Obviously the tolerance is close enough to correct the problems with a little bit of heat that causes just enough expansion to make everything work right, or at least better. It just flat sounds like a 1 - 2 syncro issue to me. Has anyone specifically looked at / changed / fixed the 1 -2 syncros?

In the meantime, I also do the 1 - 3 during initial driving.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Have had multiple F and L cars, very common practice for mechanics to tell their clients to skip 2nd till the gearbox is warmed up. Been that way for many years.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yep mine does this as well.

abolfaz said:
EXACTLY! THIS MAN IS 110% ON THE MONEY! I realized this was going on when I was at a lite, clutch fully depressed when I tried to put the car in 1st it was tough, but when it did go, the car lurched forward (just a little), thats when I realized that the clutch was not fully disengaging!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
tmcphail said:
Yep mine does this as well.

HELLO!? Isn't this a problem?