05 Grille

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I'm in need of a 05 grille. I can buy the 06, but I would like to keep the car as it came from the factory. I know some people changed out the 05 for the 06 for over heating problems. Here in Alaska there is little chance of overheating most of the time. Anybody out in the southern states want to get rid of that 05 grille just laying around the garage?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I'm in need of a 05 grille. I can buy the 06, but I would like to keep the car as it came from the factory. I know some people changed out the 05 for the 06 for over heating problems. Here in Alaska there is little chance of overheating most of the time. Anybody out in the southern states want to get rid of that 05 grille just laying around the garage?

Check and see if your vehicle had one originally - I have an '05 made in September, and they had eliminated the grill sometime in August '05. My serial number is 1857, so if your's is later than that, it wasn't manufactured with a grill, and the '05 grill won't fit in it.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Its a early 05, I have the mangled grille that was in it. 05 number 1880 is up here also, but it does not have a grille. It has the 06 piece. I like to have the 05 to keep it as stock as I can. Out of the 6 cars here I'm the only one that had a grille.

Aug 25, 2006
Check and see if your vehicle had one originally - I have an '05 made in September, and they had eliminated the grill sometime in August '05. My serial number is 1857, so if your's is later than that, it wasn't manufactured with a grill, and the '05 grill won't fit in it.

Trivia

The 05 grill will fit in any of the gals; and the 06 will fit in any of the gals. In both case there is no modification required as it is a simple bolt in however the nose of the gal must be removed to remove/install

Takes care

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Trivia

The 05 grill will fit in any of the gals; and the 06 will fit in any of the gals. In both case there is no modification required as it is a simple bolt in however the nose of the gal must be removed to remove/install

Takes care

Shadowman

Thank you, Shadowman! I wasn't aware of that, and had been told otherwise. I appreciate it, as I had considered getting an 05 grill and installing it. Thanks again.

Ralphie

M

Mark O

grill12.gif

Probably not the kind of grille you had in mind. :lol

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Nope, not what I had in mind. Maybe that is the updated 06 grille.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA

Flatrod,

as far as I know, the grille no longer exists as a Ford part (in stock). I may have purchased one of the last ones replacing one I had damaged a year and a half ago. There are owners who have removed them and still have them on a shelf somewhere. Speaking with Fred Goodnow this last Saturday in Carlisle, the engine temp with or without the grille is only drastic when tracking the FGT. And I must agree as the weekend before last I was at VIR, and that is the first time in about 18,000 miles that the temp climbed somewhere between 220 and 240. The thing that really caught my attention was using 3/4 a tank of fuel in a bit less than an hour. I believe your best chance to find a grille is through this forum, still, the best source for all things FGT. Let me know how the search goes, I can talk to at least 2 owners who have removed their grilles.

Pete S.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Thanks Pete, I ordered a supposed 05 grille, in fact two of them, and got 06 grilles. So far no one has stepped up with a take out, but its only two days now and 175 views, so I'm still hopeful one will come my way. But if you get a chance to speak with the owners that did take there's out and would sell one I would appreciate it. Otherwise I am going to try to make one.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Give me a couple of days on that, I'll let you know.

Pete S.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Flatrod

Flatrod - It was nice speaking with you on the phone recently regarding the 05 grill & our common experiences living in Anchorage. I can't imagine hitting an ice heave on the Parks Hwy at 125 mph in the GT! Not GT friendly land. One of the reasons I moved to California. I'll stop by to say hi next time I'm up there. Good luck on the grill search.

Ed

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
You might give Saleen a call. I have an 06 and wanted an 05 grill for protection against track debris. Saleen called the OE manufacturer and got one. I cannot remember who that was though. I will see if I have the info at home tonight.

Derry

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Calling Saleen is a idea I had not thought about, just figured they would not have anything. It does seem that several 06 owners want the 05 grille. Maybe there is a market for some to be made. I will look into it.

Aug 25, 2006
I truly understand that for some the need for an 05 aka solid mesh style grill is needed however keep in mind that the solid mesh style grill does more than contribute to a warmer running gal particularly when she is being exercised but it also hampers the air flow across the supercharger's heat exchanger as such the supercharger's discharge air temperatures also climb.

I am not meaning to discourage the idea but rather inform.

Takes care

Shadowman

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Flatrod,
I have not found the manufacturers name. The person at Saleen I called is Mike Zielinski GT assembly manager.
Derry

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
grill12.gif

Probably not the kind of grille you had in mind. :lol

Now that's a G R I L L ! :rofl

Re: radiatior protection, you can buy some chicken wire mesh, spray bomb it black and it will fit in there and disappear while catching all of the large debris and not interfering at all with the airflow. It's the first thing I do to my race/track cars.

bb

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
air blocker

Didn't Canepa make an air blocker for the GT? I saw it when we went to his shop. It was on the GT he repainted & sold.

[URL="http://canepa.com/inventory/exotics/silver_gt,html"]http://canepa.com
[/URL]

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
direct link to Canepa GT with air blocker

http://canepa.com/inventory/exotic/silver_gt.html

Ed

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Ed,
Thanks for the link, but I like to keep the cars all original so I am looking for a original. If I have to make one I will use the 06 part, trim it down, add the circle for the tow bolt then get some 1/4 hex mesh. I have my original one straighten out enough to use, but need new mesh. I would rather have a undamaged one though.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Alaska accident

Flatrod - what damaged your grill? a moose I bet!

Ed

PS Anyone make studded snow tires for our OEM wheels?